Thread: Missables?

Default Missables?

I'm running through the game a second time, and I'm aiming for 100% completion - excluding Excalibur II.

Since each game has their share of missables, are there any significant items I can miss? I want to have every item, but I'd hate to use a walkthrough and spoil the game's challenge.

I saw a missables FAQ on GameFAQs, but it wasn't very elaborate - it just listed the items. It didn't list their locations, which is kind of a bother.

Also, how do I go about maxing everyone's stats? I don't recall seeing any stat up items anywhere throughout the game.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Raian the Fallen; 10-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Hi,

Regarding stats, you get somewhat more gain in a stat if you have equips that increase said stat when you gain the level. It's not going to be a point-per-level basis or anything like that, but it does show some difference over time. Besides, you generally want these equips on the characters in question anyway. There's no point to not putting magic on Vivi, strength on Steiner, or spirit on Zidane. This is one reason of many that Ribbons (and early game, Glass Buckles, Extensions, etc.) are often my relics of choice.

Regarding missable items, GameFAQs: Final Fantasy IX (PS) Miss-able Items FAQ by Rebirth Flame Though I honestly don't see the point to bothering with most of them since they're hardly unique or hard to get. Actually, you get most of them just by playing the game and not literally avoiding all the shops or random ! marks on top of your head.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yeah there's the coffee items that you can miss easily. Make sure when you get an ATE you watch it, because you might miss an item or a clue to where an item might be. For the coffee make sure that you visit old Morris every chance you get. I think I forgot to go back to him one time and was unable to get the item for giving him all the coffees. I think you need to meet him when you're with Dagger, Marcus, and Steiner at Treno and you can also do something related to the mayor of Dali while you're there.

Make sure to visit the auction house too as you can get The Rat's Tail and others there. For maxing stats primarily you'll just need to grind a lot towards the end of the game with the best equipment.

Blog Entries

There is a person in Treno that will want to collect coins. Doing so will give you some rewards.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Steal the flute from the golem boss you fight when you first have Eiko. I bet that won't take less than 236932478213 years. I never got it after an hr-ish of trying >.>

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Yeah there's the coffee items that you can miss easily. Make sure when you get an ATE you watch it, because you might miss an item or a clue to where an item might be. For the coffee make sure that you visit old Morris every chance you get. I think I forgot to go back to him one time and was unable to get the item for giving him all the coffees. I think you need to meet him when you're with Dagger, Marcus, and Steiner at Treno and you can also do something related to the mayor of Dali while you're there.
    I believe you have to leave Treno when you're doing the card tournament in Disc 3 cause getting that last coffee is just in the weirdest point where you would think the game wouldn't just let you wander off. You also gt the Mini-Brahne figure through this quest.

This game is a bit of a completionist nightmare because its pretty much impossible to get every item in one playthrough, not counting the bulltrout that is the Excalibur II sword, their is also the issue of the Hammer and Tin Armor that are both unique items you can get one of. The problem is that you need to use the Hammer to synthesize the Tin Armor...

thought there was a golden hammer from using 2 hammers

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, but it can be synthsized with Pumice to make two Pumice Pieces, which is pretty stupid since Pumice is the item that teaches Ark

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I believe you have to leave Treno when you're doing the card tournament in Disc 3 cause getting that last coffee is just in the weirdest point where you would think the game wouldn't just let you wander off. You also gt the Mini-Brahne figure through this quest.

This game is a bit of a completionist nightmare because its pretty much impossible to get every item in one playthrough, not counting the bulltit that is the Excalibur II sword, their is also the issue of the Hammer and Tin Armor that are both unique items you can get one of. The problem is that you need to use the Hammer to synthesize the Tin Armor...
    Oh yeah it was during the card tournament. Yeah most of the time I forget about it at that point, because exploration at that point and time doesn't feel as natural to do.