Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: This band makes me wish I was deaf.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

That's the one. I can almost respect it for being experimental, but... god just listen to it. It's almost like they didn't bother listening to it themselves before releasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Rofl, is that the one with "I am the table?" I nearly shat myself laughing the first time I heard that.
    It's no worse than "I am the Walrus"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbits on the Run View Post
    Rofl, is that the one with "I am the table?" I nearly shat myself laughing the first time I heard that.
    Which is the best Beatles song.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post
    80's is good for indie and punk, but for pop it really is a smurfing wasteland.
    There was also a lot of good prog and metal, too. Metallica, ironically, was excellent in the 80s.
    Not too familiar with 80's prog, I always thought it kind of peaked in the 70's. But yeah some great metal too, Slayer and Maiden smurf yeah.

Jellyfish swim by.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbits on the Run View Post
    Which is the best Beatles song.
    Wait...The Beatles made good songs?
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Discussions like this drive me crazy. People's opinions on music seem to have jack to do with music. All anyone is talking about is the way the artists dress or act. Why does it even matter? It seems like people spend more energy hating Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber than they do just enjoying music.

Most people seem to like groups that they identify with in some way while hating groups they don't identify with, or whom they see as identifying with a particular culture they hate. You hate goths, so you hate the music they might listen to and so on.

That's fine. But can we stop pretending any of this has tit to do with music and just admit it's tribalistic BS. The music isn't really any different anyway. Someone can say they hate X group but love Y group. In most of these cases I could probably find a song they have roughly in common in terms chord progression and structure.

Sure, there are objectively bad bands and there are plenty of talentless hacks who just got popular because they have a look. But if you're going to go bashing some certain group or artist, realize how much YOU are part of the problem. Musically talented artists don't make it big. A certain image makes it big. You can hate one type of image, but you're probably buying into another image because you identify with it and then saying you love that type of music.

So yeah, what's so bad about the band in the original link? Are they too goth? Do they wear too much make-up? Do you hate the screaming? What the hell does that have to do with music? They play the same i-VI-VII-i progression you can find in 100s of other songs and they have a relatively catchy guitar lick. Nothing special, but nothing worth going deaf over.

So let's just admit we're talking about the image that we hate. If you want to talk about bad music, how about pulling out something objectively terrible out like any number of artists singing without all of the studio work to make them sound good. Even then, there have been some really catchy songs by artists/groups who can't actually sing (BEP come to mind).

If you want to still claim that you're judging music and that somehow your music is objectively superior to all other, I'd love to hear some of it and a reason why you think it's so awesome.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How is not liking the screaming not about the music?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I guess the screaming could be. It's just a tone color like any other and some people won't like it. But it's sort of like saying Take Five is a horrible piece of music because you don't like the sound of a saxophone or that all Metallica music is terrible because you don't like the sound of guitar.

These are judgements about timbre rather than about the music itself. Sure, it's a component part, but dislike of a certain tone color is very subjective and I suspect it has more to do with the dislike of that particular groups.

Also, there's nothing inherently musically vacuous about screaming. It's an interesting use of a different sound. People tend to write it off as noise used by talentless retards, but doing it well isn't easy and even though it's not always my cup of tea, I respect what it takes to be able to do it well. It's very similar to rap in that way. People will write of rap quite often. A music teacher of mine once said, "Rap is music for those who can't." What an ignorant lady. Does she know what skill it takes to freestyle cleverly and have the breath control to manage all of that off the top of your head? I'm also not super into rap, but I can respect a freestyler the same way I can respect any instrumentalist improvising a solo.

TL;DR - It's just another instrument and disliking a particular piece based on your dislike of a particular instrument is sort of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    I guess the screaming could be. It's just a tone color like any other and some people won't like it. But it's sort of like saying Take Five is a horrible piece of music because you don't like the sound of a saxophone or that all Metallica music is terrible because you don't like the sound of guitar.

These are judgements about timbre rather than about the music itself. Sure, it's a component part, but dislike of a certain tone color is very subjective and I suspect it has more to do with the dislike of that particular groups.

Also, there's nothing inherently musically vacuous about screaming. It's an interesting use of a different sound. People tend to write it off as noise used by talentless retards, but doing it well isn't easy and even though it's not always my cup of tea, I respect what it takes to be able to do it well. It's very similar to rap in that way. People will write of rap quite often. A music teacher of mine once said, "Rap is music for those who can't." What an ignorant lady. Does she know what skill it takes to freestyle cleverly and have the breath control to manage all of that off the top of your head? I'm also not super into rap, but I can respect a freestyler the same way I can respect any instrumentalist improvising a solo.

TL;DR - It's just another instrument and disliking a particular piece based on your dislike of a particular instrument is sort of silly.
    Can I print this out and show it to everybody I ever talk to about music?

Jellyfish swim by.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post

I don't know if you read all the posts here, but I just find the screaming to be awful. I like screaming in general, I just think that one sucks. It's more like having awesome music with a troutty singer doing the vocals in my opinion. I wouldn't like someone singing off key either.

I wasn't really bothered by the screaming. I thought it was okay. Perhaps it's not to your personal liking. I'm not scholar on the quality of screaming voices, but I know that there are lots of different ways of singing well. You can have a nasally pop sound, an operatic sound, a sound for musicals, a sound for choral music. So many different qualities that aren't necessarily bad, just different (though they can be bad when they are used in the wrong context like Nick Jonas' horrible nasal pop and whining in Les Mis).

I figure it's not so different with screaming. It didn't really stand out as bad to me, though it was a little less hoarse and impressive than some of the screaming I've listened to.

BTW, your sig makes this conversation more funny to me for some reason. Fluttershy FTW

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Hear Hear on the Nick Jonas comment. That was a horrid murder of that part :[

And I kind of agree with the statement of your music teacher, but with a bit more backing up. Yes, some rap isn't half bad, and I can accept the talent behind it. What I can't accept is the brainless, nonsensical lyrics that accompany it, and how most mainstream rap involves 0 education and constant recollection about your 'Bitches' (Jay-Z coming to mind here)

Personally, I like BVB. And hey, at least they're doing something interesting with their appearances
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    4 pages of Lady Gaga discussion? Jesus, people.

Here's my submission: Lou Reed & Metallica: The View - YouTube

Normally I wouldn't even give Metallica (or Lou Reed) the time of day to annoy me. I usually take music far too seriously to bother listening to an act two decades past relevant, but this new song and album is so hilariously awful that you all need to hear it so we can all have a laugh, slap each other on the backs, and stop talking about smurfin' Lady Gaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post
    80's is good for indie and punk, but for pop it really is a smurfing wasteland.
    There was also a lot of good prog and metal, too. Metallica, ironically, was excellent in the 80s.
    I have concluded that Lou Reed and Metallica were trolling us with that album. It's not the first time Lou Reed has trolled his fans (see: Metal Machine Music).

I kind of liked the last track but nothing else struck me as interesting enough to bother going back and listening to again, and even the last track I still haven't listened to again, like two months later. Also whoever mastered it should be shot. It's not as horrible as Death Magnetic's mastering job, but it's still atrocious.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)