Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This band makes me wish I was deaf.

Default This band makes me wish I was deaf.

;__________;

Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" Standby Records - YouTube

Why are bands like this so popular?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Because people are pretentious douchebags with no understanding of evaluating music objectively and therefore think anything that causes their miserable lives to seem somewhat interesting must be God. As a result they get the attention they so desperately crave by liking low-quality music instead of showing any intellectual or creative initiative.

There. Lady Gaga can suck my balls, too. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Because people are pretentious douchebags with no understanding of evaluating music objectively and therefore think anything that causes their miserable lives to seem somewhat interesting must be God. As a result they get the attention they so desperately crave by liking low-quality music instead of showing any intellectual or creative initiative.
    Quoted for smurfing truth.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

(SPOILER)I freaking love Lady Gaga.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, it's not her music I have issue with. It's decent enough, not substantial or anything, but it's harmless. I can't take her seriously as an artist as she wants me to, but that's besides the point.

It's her and her uberfans I have issue with. She propels a message of elitism and self-importance that I just can't stand. You like her and you're an enlightened, tolerant saint. But if you don't like her? You're a homophobe! You're not intelligent enough to understand her! She's unique! She's different! She's underground! She sells millions of records! She admits she's inspired by other artists, but if you insist she sounds even remotely like someone else than you're a jealous idiot! She's a genius! She's so smurfing original! She shows up in a dress made of meat! It's not disgusting; it's art than you're too mainstream to understand!

Even though I'm a gay man, I think she comes off as very Bono-esque with her philanthropy. Legitimately well-meaning, but not above using it sell her image. She supports gay rights just like a large proportion of the developed world! She's edgy! She's different! She's better than you!

I'm half serious here, but I think she's a poor role model. She's indeed very smart and legitimately well-meaning in some of her efforts. She also has a huge ego. She gives many of her fans a feeling of self-esteem. However, it's self-esteem mostly on being so smurfing original.

/rant

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can we turn this into a stupid bands thread!?

I had tears of laughter the first time I saw this (make sure you stick it out to the 2:50 mark ;D)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Can we turn this into a stupid bands thread!?

I had tears of laughter the first time I saw this (make sure you stick it out to the 2:50 mark ;D)

To be fair, I love Attack Attack!, even though they are stupidly generic. My guilty pleasure, I guess.

Stupid bands that shouldn't exist: Brokencyde, Hollywood Undead, Blood on the Dancefloor, and Black Veil Brides.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raian the Fallen View Post
    ;__________;

Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" Standby Records - YouTube

Why are bands like this so popular?
    What? That guitar riff is sweet. Drop the vocals and it could be a good song.

There is nothing redeeming about Attack Attack though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, it's not her music I have issue with. It's decent enough, not substantial or anything, but it's harmless. I can't take her seriously as an artist as she wants me to, but that's besides the point.

It's her and her uberfans I have issue with. She propels a message of elitism and self-importance that I just can't stand. You like her and you're an enlightened, tolerant saint. But if you don't like her? You're a homophobe! You're not intelligent enough to understand her! She's unique! She's different! She's underground! She sells millions of records! She admits she's inspired by other artists, but if you insist she sounds even remotely like someone else than you're a jealous idiot! She's a genius! She's so smurfing original! She shows up in a dress made of meat! It's not disgusting; it's art than you're too mainstream to understand!

Even though I'm a gay man, I think she comes off as very Bono-esque with her philanthropy. Legitimately well-meaning, but not above using it sell her image. She supports gay rights just like a large proportion of the developed world! She's edgy! She's different! She's better than you!

I'm half serious here, but I think she's a poor role model. She's indeed very smart and legitimately well-meaning in some of her efforts. She also has a huge ego. She gives many of her fans a feeling of self-esteem. However, it's self-esteem mostly on being so smurfing original.

/rant
    The thing with Gaga, as far as I can tell, is that she's completely guileless. She genuinely believes that she is being helpful. Sure, some of it comes off as tacky (I thought it was in slightly poor taste for her to try and write a gay anthem when she's not exactly gay... I mean, she's bi, I guess, but who isn't? You know?) but she honestly believes she's helping. And for that reason, I find it hard to fault her for that. Her fans I don't have much experience with so I can't really comment on them.

Ultimately though I don't put much thought into meta-Gaga, I just listen to her music on repeat forever and bounce around. I love "terrible" music. You all would hurl if you saw my Last.fm. And I'm proud of that fact.

P.S. I still love you Laddy <3

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What is your lastfm?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What is your lastfm?
    Pikestaff

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy
    pretentious douchebags
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy
    low-quality music
    WHY HELLO THERE POT LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO MY FRIEND KETTLE.

People like different things. I personally think Garth Brooks, John Denver, Neil Young, Hank Williams Jr. and Kenny Chesney are all awful, as is all the country music I've ever heard. I think it's painful to listen to and as a dumb teenager wondered why so many people like it and think all the aformentioned people are geniuses.

Now that I am older, I understand why people like different things and I can appreciate it for what it is. I still can't stand to listen to it though. And for the record, Lady Gaga is wonderful. :<3:

If you really want to see a pretentious douchebag, just talk to one of those people who is all like "I HATE EVERYTHING THAT'S POPULAR OR MAINSTREAM CUZ ITS LIKE TOTALLY NOT ART BUT MY NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL CD FELL FROM THE HEAVENS OFF GODS KITCHEN TABLE", they're hilarious.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    John Denver
    is amazing.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The point of Lady Gaga is to revel in unselfconscious spectacle.