Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay to get a PS Vita early?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do you have a 3DO? Ill give you like... $17 for one of those! O_O

If I could get Persona 4 Portable early as well, in English, I'd pay quite a bit. Since the English release isn't going to be until after the English console release, the point is moot.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Industry standard = Shouldn't be a dealbreaker.
    Why the hell not? If the industry can't produce products up to an acceptable standard then consumers shouldn't feel obligated to buy them.
    I guess that's fair enough, although if that was the case then nobody would buy a mobile phone, either. I've supposedly got amazing battery life on my phone because I don't need to charge it every other night, but I still am not happy with it. I just don't envisage many scenarios where someone will go five hours of portable gaming without having a moment to plug in a charger.

I'm also a little too used to it being a 3DS vs. Vita debate, so I guess my wording was more suited to that argument than this thread. xD Bad habit caused by bad thread trends, I guess.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

update: Looks like the Vita will be out in the USA February 22nd. A 2 month wait. not bad I guess. Makes it even more likely nobody will buy that 2nd system if I buy it, don't you think? And considering I'd want to make back the money that I'd originally spent on it, I'd want 25,000 yen ($325) at least. Most likely a lot of people wouldn't be willing to pay that much.

I wonder if the games are coming out earlier though.
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Out of curiosity, what's the general feeling in Japan on the Vita, and also gaming in general? I understand things are pretty different over there pretty often, so I'm pretty curious.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Industry standard = Shouldn't be a dealbreaker.
    Why the hell not? If the industry can't produce products up to an acceptable standard then consumers shouldn't feel obligated to buy them.
    I guess that's fair enough, although if that was the case then nobody would buy a mobile phone, either. I've supposedly got amazing battery life on my phone because I don't need to charge it every other night, but I still am not happy with it. I just don't envisage many scenarios where someone will go five hours of portable gaming without having a moment to plug in a charger.
    It's funny because I had cellphones in mind when I wrote that. As far as I am concerned they haven't built a smartphone yet that is up to my standards, hence I haven't bought one. I don't need all my friends telling me that 'phone x' is as good as you are going to get. When one is good enough, I will buy it.

That said, I couldn't care less about the battery life. The only time my PSP or DS gets used is sitting on my couch, the only reason I own them to begin with is they have games I want to play. So playing with it plugged in isn't a big deal.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ You made it seemed like it was!

It might be a big deal for mem, those things tend to get hot when you play with them plugged in!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I was more reacting to the sentiment of the comment, not anything to do with the Vita. I have to get a new phone, so I am a little bit touchy on the subject at the moment.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Out of curiosity, what's the general feeling in Japan on the Vita, and also gaming in general? I understand things are pretty different over there pretty often, so I'm pretty curious.
    If you follow the news, it looks like pre-orders have been pretty good, and that it will probably do better than the 3DS did at release. As far as design and graphics are concerned, people are pretty excited with the possibilities. I also think that the release games and schedule are better than the 3DS, and the fact that you can play your games from the PSN right out of the box is a plus as well. Nintendo had that huge problem of getting the network up, and is slow to release meaningful games. I can't wait to start seeing PS2 and dual shock PSOne games on the Vita.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ That's what I would imagine, considering how much the PSP has dominate late in the life cycle, it would only make sense for the successor to have a lot of hype when the original still does in a kind of odds-defying way.

And when you hear about all the social, geographic community building, network type stuff, like NEAR, it just has Japan written all over it.

I wouldn't pay any amount to get it early. As a matter of fact I usually make a point of waiting at least a year before I buy a new console so there is a decent library for it.

IMO they should be charging you less to get it early/at release. It has less value at that point.
    I agree. I didn't get my PSP until several years after release, but I use it a lot now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Well I have my PSP for the PS1 Classics. I'm more interested in the potential PS2 library! That said, I wouldn't be interested in paying more to get it early because one, I don't know what problems it has yet. I accept that there's always something that's going to be wrong, but I want to know what that something is. Two, there possibly isn't a whole lot of games I'm interested in at launch. Really I only play a good twenty games or so per console
    Yeah, I'd like to see PS2 games on the Vita too. The only issue will be storage. The PSP has a wide range of memory cards, but the Vita will only have memory on the NVG game cards, which will be 2-4 gigs at launch - hardly enough room for a good library of PS2 games. I'll wait until there's a 16 gig NVG card available.

Just got chills thinking about playing games like GoW 1 and 2 HD, Shadow of the Colossus or RE4 HD on the PS Vita. That would make it incredibly cool to have one and play.

With everybody talking about how much they play their PSPs still, I'm guessing you're not finished buying games yet, right? I'm still planning on buying a few, but now that the UMD has been discontinued, I'm thinking I should buy them online instead and transfer them onto the VITA once I get one.

EDIT: Looks like the only game not offered on the PSN is Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. All the others I want I can get online and just load straight onto the Vita when I get it.
    Last edited by Kumo; 10-21-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ well, to be honest, it's not so much PSN gamesi'm psyched about playing on it (unless of course Battlefield 1943 and Deathspank are compatible) but PSOne games. I still haven't beaten FFVIII or FFT downloaded, I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles II, and Arc the Lad is the next series I'm trying to break into. Seeing them on the OLED screen almost makes it worth it, but as VeloZero and other have stated, the battery life is an issue although the more i think about it, the less it matters :goomba:

It looks like the ZOE HD collection will be available on the VITA as well on the PSN in the first few months. That's going to be damn cool. And you will be able to play ALL of the PSOne titles on the Vita. You should be able to sync it with your PSN account right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    ^ well, to be honest, it's not so much PSN gamesi'm psyched about playing on it (unless of course Battlefield 1943 and Deathspank are compatible) but PSOne games. I still haven't beaten FFVIII or FFT downloaded, I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles II, and Arc the Lad is the next series I'm trying to break into. Seeing them on the OLED screen almost makes it worth it, but as VeloZero and other have stated, the battery life is an issue although the more i think about it, the less it matters :goomba:
    It's not your fault, Bolivar, no one can blame you for not forcing yourself through that terrible game again.

I might have to look into the Valkyria Chronicles games. I've heard good things, but never tried them.

Battery life is not an issue unless it is really, really small. Most of my playtime away from my house is during my lunch break at work, so if the battery can last through that, it just becomes a matter of annoyance rather than necessity.

Is there a release date title list for the Vita yet?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.