Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who LIKED FFXIII?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Default Am I the only one who LIKED FFXIII?

I loved FFXIII. Loved it. I enjoyed the story, I liked the characters, I found the battle system fun, enjoyed the soundtrack, and aside of the lack of minigames/sidequests, I can't think of anything I really disliked about it.

Yet this seems to be the "cool to hate" FF title. Like everyone here hates it it seems. It's like the new FFX.

Am I the only one who really enjoyed FFXIII at all?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Lots of people did. Unfortunately I'm not one of them so I can't make you feel better.

I do think it is typically treated unfairly by most. Over all it delivered an experience that fell short of what a lot of people expected, but I think they put together a decent game. As a whole I rate it as a mediocre experience, and in comparison to a FF title I find it severely lacking. Though not for most of the reasons other people do.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

IMO Squeenix is like a primitive organism with a very poor feedback mechanism. Square Co. used to provide games with a solid amount of side quests, customization, etc.. as well as a great varying game mechanics compelling story that drew fans in. Then Squeenix came out with FFXII which I personally loved that was very open ended and had tons of side quests and hidden thangs. Some fans complained that it was too open ended and the story wasn't compelling enough and then Squeenix releases FFXIII which, although it has a decent story and an excellent theme, is completely linear to the point where there's no time to "settle in" with the characters and no room to get a feel for the game itself. Playing FFXIII was just not fun past a certain point. I actually thought FFX was amazing even though it was linear, the only really annoying thing was the camera. The characters and story drew me in and the music was really well done. It also had some similarities to FFVIII which is my all time favorite.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A lot of people liked it. I certainly enjoyed my play through it, though there were many things that disappointed/bothered me. The people who didn't like it are just more vocal, like with anything.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I certainly liked it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, yes you are.

I think this is a case of FFVIII/FFXII and it has a minority of very vocal people who love/hate it and then the bulk of the fanbase thought it was "okay" and are waiting for the next game. Hell, even some of the people on this forum who did like it felt the game failed to live up to the standards of FF series, it barely lived up to the hype surrounding it. It doesn't help that most fans were more interested in Versus XIII.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed my first playthrough, though when I lost my save and attempted to restart... it was just too painful so I stopped. It severely lacks in replay value but I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's that good of a game but I had fun playing it.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    A lot of people liked it. I certainly enjoyed my play through it, though there were many things that disappointed/bothered me. The people who didn't like it are just more vocal, like with anything.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Well this is the first time I have ever heard of X being disliked, in fact I heard it was one of the greatest FF's out there but anyways, I don't get some people, some say they hate it, others say they love it, I don't fall into either category, I liked the game, I got all the achievements for it (most of which I got twice as I have played it on both the PS3 and the 360) but getting so worked up over a game seems ridiculous if you ask me, there are plenty more pressing things in the world out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    Well this is the first time I have ever heard of X being disliked, in fact I heard it was one of the greatest FF's out there but anyways, I don't get some people, some say they hate it, others say they love it, I don't fall into either category, I liked the game, I got all the achievements for it (most of which I got twice as I have played it on both the PS3 and the 360) but getting so worked up over a game seems ridiculous if you ask me, there are plenty more pressing things in the world out there today.
    I never liked X, but people accused me of not giving it a chance so I played it anyway just so I could continue saying I didn't like it.

FFXIII lasted me an hour. I thought the Datalog was the cheekiest way to get out of making any effort to involve the player in the story, and the main characters seriously got on my nerves. Considering my expectations of FF were extremely low by this point (Spirits Within, X, Tactics Advance, Crystal Chronicles, Advent Children, XI, Dirge of Cerberus, XII, Before Crisis... I didn't like a single one of those) FFXIII still managed to annoy me more than any of the previous entries.

I actually thought FF13 was a really good game, one of my favourites actually. I liked 10 as well, unless i'm just an outcast of the fandom..

I do like XIII, but it's definitely one of my least favorite FF games. In fact, the only Final Fantasy game that I think is worse than XIII is X.

I hated X. I enjoyed XIII because I enjoyed the battle system. Some people may not have, but I felt the paradigm shifts added a lot of strategy to the game, and I love strategy. Most FF games in the past you could literally just get by with attacking. Attacking was often the strongest thing you could do! So yeah, maybe in this game you would "spam" fire if the enemy was weak to fire... but against the tough enemies you literally had to change paradigms instantly, and often change right to another to have the most success. I enjoyed the fact that I felt constantly on my toes in the more difficult battles. As much as I love previous FF games, it typically became a matter of one character heals everyone, one attacks, one uses their strongest magic, every round, just hitting A if you had it on memory. People complained that you could "auto-attack" but it was rarely the best choices if you did. I enjoyed FFXII as well for the strategy, even if it was mostly preset strategy for the different situations you would encounter.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Reaca View Post
    I do like XIII, but it's definitely one of my least favorite FF games. In fact, the only Final Fantasy game that I think is worse than XIII is X.
    You are my favorite new member.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

All you haters can hate.

I love every Final Fantasy game I've ever played.