Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top ten games of 2011

Default Top ten games of 2011

Cause smurf you, it's close enough to years end with little else note worthy coming out. (The two that are being Saints Row and Skyrim, which those of you who love Elder Scrolls will probably already know where on your list it will fall).

First off, there is one game coming out this year that will likely end up in my top ten, being Saints Row. There is also Catherine, which I may not get the chance to play by the end of the year, and for that I am sad.

And now, for honorable mentions.

First Being Agarest War 0. It was a well made game, but it suffered from not doing enough different from Agarest War, and they got lazy and re-used a good number of tracks. Anything added to the game wasn't really enough to make the difference notable, and on top of it being a Prequel to a game that game a pretty solid synopsis of events prior to it if you got the true ending, a good chunk of plot is very predictable. It was pretty much inferior character wise, and while they were good this game fell short of what it could have been.

Next up is Deus Ex. This game would likely have been in my top three had it not been for two points. One was difficulty. Playing on the hardest mode, I still didn't feel very challenged outside the first boss fight. The AI was way to easy to trick, and lugging around a couple EMP's, one armor Piercing 10MM, and one heavy weapon to handle the last fight was more then enough to monkey stomp this game. The other is this game had among the worst endings ever, made all of your actions in the game seem entirely smurfing pointless, and managed to completely kill this game for me.

Finally is Atelier Totori on my honorable mentions. Pretty much it was Ateleir Rorona with slightly improved combat systems, and an element of Time Management that made it pleasantly more difficult. True, it is a good game, but both this game and Rorona are missing the same level if awesome the cast of Mana Khemia 1 had, and in a game where the plot is far from some world crisis event, the characters and their interactions are the biggest driving force being investing you in the story.

And now, on to my top ten of the year.

10. Hyper Dimension Neptunia

This was almost going to be the honorable mention instead of Totori. In reality, the game systems of Totori were superior in most ways. And this game suffered from the huge problem of it's share system, which I wont get into because the game itself never does. And that is stupid, cause you need them all for the true ending. Whats worse is if you screw up you can loose out permanently and never realize it. And unless you get the optional, you have no way of switching party members which is very stupid, since there are a number of abilities connected to attacks to switch members mid battle. And you can't even get the characters until near end game.

The combat is well designed, though lack of variety for what moves actually do lead you to make a few combos leads to combat that because repetitive by mid game. They do have a fun take on item use, though again I'll avoid detail since it's bit awkward to explain, though it's not a system a lot of people will like.

What I loved is the characters were just outlandish and silly. They were all fun, and there's pretty much a never dull moment in any of the games dialogue.

While I highly enjoy it, it's really not a game for most people because of all the problems weighing it down.

9. Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

I can, in no way shape or form, convince any one of you it's a good game. It's a farming simulator/Dating Simulator with aspects of an Action RPG. Rune Factory puts more emphasis on the combat, and less of the farming, which makes for a different experience, though I do prefer Rune Factory 3: The best of the series to date. What draws Rune Factroy down a bit is the cast is much less interesting then Rune Factory 3, or even the only other Console version of Rune Factory, Frontier. On a whole the, the improved combat was very welcomed.

It's also to easy to build up your money. But hey, it's still fun.

8. No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise

No More Heroes was outrageous, fun, and visually appealing. The PS3 version is no different, and the extra boss fights while he's on the crapper is fun. Nothing really new was added to the game from the original on the Wii outside of prettier graphics. Really this game shouldn't be on this list because of that, but I'm also a No More Heroes Fan boy, so smurf it.

7. Dragon Quest VI (DS)

All I can say about this is I had fun playing it. Though for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. Yet I swear I remember it being fun enough to put here.

6. Devil Survivor: Overlocked (3DS)

Pretty much see No More Heroes, but with a bit more story added in. The original was awesome, though I really don't know why this was released, and didn't add enough to warrant it coming out. But again, I'm a fan boy. If you have a 3DS though, pick this up over the original on the DS. It is a tad bit improved in a couple ways.

5. Dragon Age 2

This game did a lot right, and a lot wrong. I'll start with the wrong.

The re use of maps. The smurfing re use of maps. Extreme laziness is the only thing that could explain this. If you do the right quests in a row, you'll see the same map used in three different places in a row. The environments get repetitive.

The other problem is no matter what path you take, the key end events never change. Regardless of the mass amount of options the game gives you beginning to end become kind of pointless.

The positives are the awesome battle system. Very fast paced and a lot of versatile options among the classes. There are enough supporting characters to create a wide variety of parties as well.

The characters are awesome in this game two. They all have great stories and very well developed personalities, Merril being a personal favorite. In addition, all of their designs are pleasing, once again Meriil being my favorite, her costume change after all of her story is done being the amazing.

Unlike many others, I also loved the story. It was a fun tale of Hawkes rise to power in Kirkwall, the final fight actually feeling like tit really did hit the fan. It was a great climax with well done atmosphere. The ending was really good, though held down on my previous complaint.

Overall it was a very well structured game, and set itself up for another., which I've never had issue with.

4. Disgaea 4

Oh Disgaea, one of the few remaining JRPG's on the consoles. The combat system remains as deep as ever, as well as adding a lot of new elements from it's predecessor. Improved combat from three, and a hilarious and kind of depressing story once you finally learn whats going on behind the Scene. Truly superb, and a lot of post game content, and a full length normal game to boot.

3. White Knight Chronicles 2

Considering how little was added in terms of game play, I really don't think this should be added to the list. But you know what? I love it so very much. I cry knowing there lingers a bit of hypocrisy to me putting this so high on my list, but smurf you all. Shapur is a smurfing bad ass.

2. Batman: Arkam City

Arkam Asylym, you guys play that one? Well make it more awesome in virtually every way, and add in Ra's al Ghul, and you have a game made of win. Amazing environments, a lot of great villain fights, plenty of side missions and a very fulfilling story. They even advance a lot of plot elements from Arkham Asylum which helps it feel these games really are in the same world, all while being a self contained story in and of itself. Oh, and the ending rocked.

1. Infamous 2

You know I love this for the same reason as Batman. It took everything from the first game, improved on it, and made it better. They even give you two different endings depending on your last choice, (The alignment system is still pretty stupid given the choice is the only thing that affects the ending), and while it can kill reasons for multiple play through for purpose of seeing the other ending, it's actually a bit heart breaking no matter which path you pick. So thank you Sucker Punch.

This year was actually pretty radical for gaming. And I've still yet to play Catherine and Saints Row the Third, both of which I kind of expect to knock Rune Factory and Hyper Dimension off my list.

Oh, and IceGlow, you remember last year when you were all 'you're list is all PS3 tit, blah blah blah' even though there were 2 exclusives, which were low on the list, and all my high ones were either DS or Multiconsole? Well this year you can legitimately bitch and moan about it given five of these games are PS3 exclusive, one of them is only Wii and PS3 (no 360), and only two of these games available on 360.

So Suck it!

Edit: Forgot about Dark Souls, another game that if I play it, likely to end up on list.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 10-25-2011 at 12:07 PM.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

The simple fact that Xenoblade Chronicles is not on your list and also in first place proves that this list is all wrong.

Also if you want to look forward to a couple of game releases Modern Warfare III is out on the 8th of next month and Assassins Creed Revelations on the 15th aswell.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I remember when ice glow said our top 10s were arguments that the ps3 had better sales than it really did or something something blah blah.

But dude! We can't do this! It's almost universally acknowledged that the best games of this year aren't out yet! Battlefield just came out today. Uncharted is coming in a few weeks, Skyrim soon as well. And Assassin's Creed isn't out yet. And then there's... wait a seco.... oh my....

OH MY GOD CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 3 IS COMING OUT I CAN'T BELIEVE ACTIVISION IS MAKING THIS GAME!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

So we have to wait...

Honestly I'm not even sure if I could list 10... I played a lot of the new games but I haven't bought a lot of them personally myself.

Tactics Ogre - you listed remakes and this absolutely has to be at the top for me. One of the best games of all time in my book. Remake was awesome. Not much to say, but if you even remotely respect Strategy RPGs you need to slap yourself for not owning this already.

Killzone 3 - online might not have been as crazy polished/balanced as Killzone 2. But this game took it to 11, and sometimes to 12. Gameplay and cover system were fine tuned to where this game plays like Uncharted from a first person perspective. And it's glorious. Incredible campaign from a gameplay perspective and the villains really stole the show. Graphics... Not only did they make everything look even better, but they have even more crazy tit going on the screen, and the cherry on top is that it even runs better. Color sweetens the pot. You could be in a giant factory with a stunning mountain vista, with all this awesome equipment and space ships beautifully rendered as cover, with bright lights and colors everywhere, all while just over your head an assembly line is moving all these parts around, most of which also have insane lights coming off of them... online... with 17 other players. This is a game whose multiplayer looks better than all but a handful of game's single players. It looked better than Crysis on console because of how poorly and blurrily that game ran. Rage, not sure. BF3 may top it if it runs well with the high texture pack on consoles. And Uncharted 3 may pull it off as well. But on console, it's probably king.

Fear 3 - disliked that there's no more straight up, class-based, competitive multiplayer but playing the campaign co-op as both Point Man and Fettle was one of the best co-op experiences I've ever had. It's still tactical. It's still slightly scary (ok not really). But more than anything it was a blast to play. Tons of awesome events to be an ass to the AI. Tons of proud moments to feel accomplishment by taking down a squad of enemies in a coordinated way. Good game.

Dissidia Duodecim - enjoyed the fan service, but wasn't really feeling this game. Single player was pointless and the gameplay system doesn't seem like it takes itself seriously enough. I know Wolf said you don't get your money's worth from a fighter unless you play against other people but Square sent me a review copy so I'd say I got my $0 worth of this pointless game.

FFIV Complete Collection - loved the remake, but FFIV itself is starting to show its age, especially compared to PSP RPGs coming out at the time. I'm glad I finally got to check out The After Years, it's actually really good! A lot of cool little scenarios and new areas but towards the end the dungeon crawling wears thin as you realize it's the only gameplay it has and it's not that good. Dungeons aren't that great and the combat isn't balanced or scaled.

Crysis 2 - mentioned it above, but the game wasn't worth all the console hype it got. Yeah, it's rendering some crazy tit but it's blurry and it doesn't run well. But of course its' meant to be played on PC. And even there I doubt it's anything special. Animations are awkward, AI is a joke (love walking up to big dudes and meleeing them to death), and as far as open-ended shooters it's been surpassed by Metal Gear Solid 4 and, ironically, Far Cry 2 (an in-house Ubisoft team). Multiplayer rocked, though. The nanosuit creates a big learning curve, and there's a lot of awesome progression and customization. The game modes are all decent for the archetypes, but the sneaking tit is actually off the chain. So bad campaign, game didn't live up to promises, but the multiplayer's awesome.

Pokemon White -ill game... but I can't bring myself to get much farther. It's Pokemon. It's the same damn game every time. I was already playing Heart Gold at the time and the transition made me realize the older pokemon games really are better. They hailed the in-battle animations as an innovation and they're a joke. Like, seriously, a joke. Compare their minimalistic animations to the DS Dragon Quest games. How old is DQIV DS now? And it craps all over them on the animation department. AND the sprites in battle aren't blocky, either. There's just no excuse - Game Freaks are really far behind on their own consoles of specialty.

Stacking - YO! This is actually a really good game. I'm not a puzzle guy at all. But I really loved this game. It's a cheap downloadable title, so check it out if you get the chance. Beautiful art style, delightful humor, a dash of social commentary, and just a really fun, well put together game. Can't really get in detail about it, I got a review (title ain't mine!), but it's an amazing game and a lot of bang for your buck.

Other games I briefly checked:

Portal 2 - pleasantly surprised by co-op. Campaign looked great, too. Not sure if it's as tight a SP game as the first, though.
    LBP2 - kinda disappointed. It really is an expansion. Not that much more fun than LBP1 and creation isn't any easier, UI is just as unintuitive. You really need a mouse for this kind of thing. Shame on them for being so clueless. Still a fun game, though, and it looks great.
    Dead Space 2 - hot, 2 thumbs up. Definitely a monster game, will probably be overlooked in the GOTY awards after the fall rush.
    Last edited by Bolivar; 10-25-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Even ignoring Skyrim, Uncharted 3 is not out yet and Batman: Arkham City has been out for a mere few days over here. It's way too early for me to make a call on game of the year. I expect these three will be my 'big three' for the year, so naturally I'm a little loathe to make a list for the year just yet. xD

Of the year to date? Hmm. Not much, really. I got DNF, that was loaded with problems despite it's various comedy moments. I also got Deus Ex: Human Revolution which, ending excepted, was a fantastic and enjoyable game. We also rented Portal 2 via LoveFilm or whatever. Both Danielle and I really, really loved that game. We also got Resistance 3 which I haven't played enough of to really judge, but from what I have seen, it's really good. So...

Year To Date

1. Portal 2

2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

3. Resistance 3

4. Duke Nukem Forever

What a list! Sadly, I don't have enough money/time to pay for that many games. I have however purchased and played a few old Final Fantasy games which I hadn't completed beforehand, and spent a buttload of time on FFXIV, so I guess that's where my gametime went for the most part.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

I cannot comment until the release of Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim and my purchase of Batman. However, Portal 2 and Dark Souls are at the top of the list currently.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I don't usually play 10 releases from a given year during that year. Games are expensive, man.

Best I can do ya are the three games I got interested in enough to play:

*Dark Souls. This game owns and should be number 1 on everyone's list or I just won't respect you. The Souls games are basically what modern console games should be. I still haven't finished it and I'm looking forward to re-playing it and actually getting some story detail (I accidentally killed the NPC that I think is supposed to fill that role).

*Portal 2. I look forward to renting this again in a year or so once I've forgotten most of the puzzles.

*Deus Ex: Human Revolution. A really solid game that only let me down a little because of how rushed the last 30% of the game came off. I also really wish objective compasses, mini-maps, and other baby-easy tit like this would just go away. I used to get annoyed when I was a kid and I'd be playing Zelda and a friend would say 'oh this room? press that block onto that switch' and spoil the puzzle for me. Now it's the games themselves that do that.

Still looking forward to playing some new releases too. Mainly Batman, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim. I also really want to give Child of Eden a rent. However, I'm confident that Dark Souls will still be my number one in the end.

EDIT: Outland and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 are also definitely worth playing. PJ moreso than Outland, but Outland's still a decent time waster.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 11-01-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Completely spaced Battlefield, MM3, and AC actually.

Though I also keep forgetting people care about those games. :shrugs:

And no Xenoblades here.

Edit: And yeah, I spaced Uncharted as well since I've yet to play 1 and 2.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

1: Saints Row The Third
    2: Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Not on this list: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    I also really wish objective compasses, mini-maps, and other baby-easy tit like this would just go away. I used to get annoyed when I was a kid and I'd be playing Zelda and a friend would say 'oh this room? press that block onto that switch' and spoil the puzzle for me. Now it's the games themselves that do that.
    That is absolutely true. It's one of many terrible gameplay diseases that have spread across pretty much every modern game. As a result we get games lacking mentally challenging gameplay, which used to be videogames' biggest (and only) USP. Now, most developers have traded challenge and interactivity for mostly fireworks and holding hands.

As for my top 10 games of 2011, I'm a little short on nominees since I only bought two:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. This takes the prize for being really polished, balanced, has a ton of content, replay value and challenges in both off- and online modes. As a downside the campaign story and mission flow were an absolute rip-off from a game that was far worse to begin with; HAWX 2. AC:AH does it better, but it's campaign remains just barely skin-deep.

Little Big Planet 2. It was fun, but not twice the fun LBP1 was.

I still want to check out Deus Ex, Dark Souls and Stacking, they all sound very promising. Saints Row the Third is not exactly my type of game at first glance, but from what I've heard this game actually emphasizes fun, which is a rarity since this ingredient seemingly vaporized in most games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Forgot about Shooter 2, it was pretty damn good, especially how they switch it up on you and go all Gradius and then again for Space Invaders/Galaga.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    The simple fact that Xenoblade Chronicles is not on your list and also in first place proves that this list is all wrong.
    This is possibly the most accurate post ever!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Cause smurf you, it's close enough to years end with little else note worthy coming out. (The two that are being Saints Row and Skyrim, which those of you who love Elder Scrolls will probably already know where on your list it will fall).

9. Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

I can, in no way shape or form, convince any one of you it's a good game. It's a farming simulator/Dating Simulator with aspects of an Action RPG. Rune Factory puts more emphasis on the combat, and less of the farming, which makes for a different experience, though I do prefer Rune Factory 3: The best of the series to date. What draws Rune Factroy down a bit is the cast is much less interesting then Rune Factory 3, or even the only other Console version of Rune Factory, Frontier. On a whole the, the improved combat was very welcomed.

It's also to easy to build up your money. But hey, it's still fun.
    And Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and Star Wars: The Old Republic, which is one of the few games this year I have been actually looking forward to (well, except for Ocarina of Time 3D, but I don't really count rereleases).

Somehow I missed a new Rune Factory game. When did it come out, and what console?

And, yes, Rune Factory 3 was utterly brilliant. Love that game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The Newest Rune Factory is on PS3 and Wii.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think Deus Ex is the only game released this year that I have played this year. smurf my life is busy. And smurf I'm poor.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Catherine is the only game released this year I have played besides Dissidia Duodecim (I wouldn't put Dissidia on this list anyway), I actually have some games for this year, but I either haven't gotten to them yet (Tactics Ogre and Arkham City) or they haven't been released yet (AC Revelations and Skyward Sword) so I really can't say much on the issue, let alone give a top ten. I'm still playing catch up. I haven't even started Peace Walker for crying out loud.