Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V Announced

Blog Entries

Edit: also quite disappointed in Rockstar for not trying anywhere new. They play it safe, hoping to cling on to a certain target group by itching a nostalgia nerve. Why not Tokyo? Beijing? Hong Kong? Dubai? The more I think about what they're trying to pull off here, the lower my hopes get.
    Americans won't buy it.

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Edit: also quite disappointed in Rockstar for not trying anywhere new. They play it safe, hoping to cling on to a certain target group by itching a nostalgia nerve. Why not Tokyo? Beijing? Hong Kong? Dubai? The more I think about what they're trying to pull off here, the lower my hopes get.
    Americans won't buy it.

Americans buy loads of games set in those areas.

A Grand Theft Auto in Tokyo would be awesome. I think it'd do really well personally, and definitively be a breath of fresh air.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A lot of Americans can't find Britain on a map - in terms of marketing they'll have a much higher chance of generating sales with a game set in the country of the largest customer base. Also if they were to properly satirise a country other than the US then the humour would not spread as well, whereas generally American culture is understood well enough in other parts of the world that buy into their media. For GTA, America is by far the best option if they actually want to make a titload of money.

Quote Originally Posted by demondude View Post
    A lot of Americans can't find Britain on a map - in terms of marketing they'll have a much higher chance of generating sales with a game set in the country of the largest customer base. Also if they were to properly satirise a country other than the US then the humour would not spread as well, whereas generally American culture is understood well enough in other parts of the world that buy into their media. For GTA, America is by far the best option if they actually want to make a titload of money.
    Yes but that's true of any nationality. Most people from the UK don't know where things are in the US at all. Most of Europe doesn't. One of my friends thought I lived right above Texas.

But it is true that American culture is the most well known, and they will make the most money with it. But the most money doesn't equal the best game. They could at least pick something new out of the US.

At very least give me Grand Theft Auto: New Orleans. I'd love to go outta the city into the swamps.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

So the trailer shows there's cropdusters and a mountain. That's a copy sold to me because I am esily pleased.

I hope this is to IV as SA was to III. I hope they try to out-Saints Saints.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I seriously hope we're not getting another main character who is all "I just want a quiet life I hate all this violence" as he runs over nineteen people. One of the reasons Saints works so well is that you are in-story at least as psychopathic as you are in gameplay.

Still though, those graphics holy trout.

Blog Entries

Looks like it's back in San Andreas. I guess those fools who've spent the last year modding GTA4 to the San Andreas map feel like they've wasted their time.

there was a picture here

I hope there's less "Niiiico, let's go bowling!!!" trout this time around, as that's what really made me stop playing GTA IV. I completed the stories in all the PS2 entries of the series, but not in IV. I couldn't handle it.

Also I would like a better soundtrack this time.

Jellyfish swim by.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

GTA is heavily influenced by Hollywood films

Anyway, I hope being set in San Andreas means I can play with parachutes again. I like parachutes.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just watched the new SRTT trailer and I honestly no longer give one single tiny little dingleberry about GTA.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post

Anyway, I hope being set in San Andreas means I can play with parachutes again. I like parachutes.
    What influenced SA?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Gosh that looks so cool. xD

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

What influenced SA?
    Most prominently Boyz in the Hood and Menace II Society

The city and characters feel less inspired this time around. Just got that "been there done that" feel from the trailer. Its weird cause I know the game will be great (its Rockstar after all) but I really don't care anymore. The GTA formula is a bit stale for me now.

I remember the buzz I got from seeing the first Vice City trailer way back when. Those were the days.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

What influenced SA?
    Most prominently Boyz in the Hood and Menace II Society
    What does SA really have to do with those other than it being in the hood on the west coast? The plots don't seem similar at all.