Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Lunarians: Great Plot Twist, or Ultimate Cheese?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It didn't strike me as odd at all when playing it for the first time as a kid. And the further fleshed out history via the DS version and then The After Years only helped to make sense of it. I don't mind some moon aliens in my fantasy, I guess.

I'd love an English translation of that World and Character Guide Wolf Kanno mentioned. That sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    I'd love an English translation of that World and Character Guide Wolf Kanno mentioned. That sounds awesome!
    Translation of Final Fantasy IV Documents on Settings Book/Settei Shiryou Hen/Compendium/What Have You

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Maybe the re-awakening of magic is what spurred Kluya into coming down to the planet to check how things were going.
    Keeping in mind that the Settings Guide was released in '91, same as the original game, and it contains zero info on the Lunarians (and indeed contains information that outright contradicts in-game text), I'd assume it was supposed to be kept as "spoiler-free" as possible. You can probably reconcile the guide's info with what we're given in-game (ie. Kluya introducing humans to magic and airships), provided you're willing to go a bit into fanfiction-ish territory.

Aliens and technology don't necessarily equal science fiction -- that is a common misconception. Final Fantasy IV is certainly a full fantasy game, as are all the Final Fantasy games. From what I remember, and it's been a while since I've played Four all the way through to the end, the Lunarians were properly explained and did not come right out of left field. Thus, I had no issue with that plot twist.

Firstly what's wrong with cheese? We all saw G Gundam. We all love G Gundam. We all understand that cheese can work.

Now to the topic at hand. I knew about the Moon Men going into FFIV. I didn't know the exact details but kinda had to float around the FF community for seven or so years and remain oblivious to a pretty big plot element in one of the most beloved games.

Point is I wasn't going through it blind and had a vague knowledge of what as to come. Even still I don't think it was really badly implemented. As others have mentioned it goes a long way in explaining things like the Towers.

On the same front I also had no problem with all the characters being alive. FFIV had a delightfully cartoony streak amidst all the drama so who cares if Cid jumps out of an airship thousands of miles above the ground and then detonates a bomb only to show up perfectly fine and in one piece?

I like FFIV's cheerful tone.

I was fine with it. I liked that their ultimate enemy was supposedly beyond their reach entirely. You'd never think to look for it there at such an early level of technology, and they do at least try to allude to it with that guy at the observatory saying he's observed an oddity or two with it.

I've always seen FF4 as one of the first games to try and have a big, epic story (even if it is a bit simple and predictable by today's standards) and I can't blame them for pulling out a few more of the stops than usual.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> It was ok, if im not wrong FF1, 2 and 3 didnt have any aliens. So it was a move that needed to be made..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

As someone who has enjoyed many a ~cheeseball~ plot, I'm in no real place to judge, but I do know it was a plot twist that I loved and somehow managed to remain unspoiled on for all these years. I don't think it was dumb/a cop out/out of place, either way. I felt they did a good job developing and explaining it in a way that had a logical progression. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I think of the voice Cecil heard after becoming a paladin and consider that to be a small link. Not necessarily to the fact that it was the MOON, but that there was something bigger happening...because, well, Cecil didn't act like voices coming out of nowhere were normal even in FFIV Land. I also agree that the Lunarians serve to explain the towers nicely.

Besides, it's a Final Fantasy game, so I kind of expect crazy things to happen that will set one game apart from the others in the series. <3
    Last edited by Chels; 05-15-2012 at 01:43 AM.