Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456781222 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Banned
    Blog Entries

ass a fan of both games, I would say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    I'm going to buy it for Christmas. I've been replaying Oblivion (actually transferred my saves from 360 to PC because my 360 is crashing), just got into the Dark Brotherhood quests and they're awesome! I'm really looking forward to diving into Skyrim. I actually can't maintain interest playing Morrowind anymore, and I thought I was done with Oblivion, but I'm still really enjoying it. I always look forward to seeing what Bethesda will do next. It sounds like they're incorporating perks similar to Fallout 3, which should be pretty cool. I also heard that they're using many more voice actors for variety, including Christopher Plummer and Max von Sydow. Just bought an Alienware PC recently but I think I'll buy the PS3 version. Just wondering - which version do you think will be superior? I've found Oblivion on the PC much better than the 360, but you guys are saying the menus and UI are poor. Which version would have better menus?
    I got it for the PC despite having a 360 & PS3. For me, Elder Scrolls is two thirds about the vanilla game and one third about the mods that the community comes up with.
    That's an excellent point. I went through a phase where I downloaded a lot of mods for Morrowind but since so many conflicted with each other and created glitches I gave up on them. But I'm probably missing out on a lot of free content, so maybe I should try it out again. My new PC can handle Skyrim, so maybe I should get the PC version.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    i am thinking of buying this game kinda soonish
    but ass my experience with rpgs is pretty much only final fantasy do you guys think i will enjoy it?
    Well it really depends - Final Fantasy and the Elder Scrolls are wildly different games. For example the battle system is real-time rather than turn-based, and you level based on actually doing things rather than experience points. Compared to a more structured storyline in an FF game, an Elder Scrolls game is a much more open-ended experience, allowing you to complete hundreds of quests without even touching the main storyline. You can play for hundreds of hours and still have content to experience, and as Loony Bob points out, mods add even more. And in Skyrim there apparently are infinite quests, though I have yet to see how that works. If you're not a fan of open-world games, you may be a bit lost. You'll have to try it out and see what you think.

When I tried Morrowind the first time I was completely lost, and I promptly sold my original copy, but this is when I was much younger and my tastes in games hadn't matured. People without experience in the series can wander around without knowing what to do, and might find the lack of structure daunting.

Give it a go, and see what you think!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Tl;dr

Have you tried riding a horse yet??
    Last edited by CimminyCricket; 11-12-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Damn phone i hit t

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I've only played it for two hours so far, so I'm probably pretty pre-mature in stating that it seems like a significant jump from Oblivion. I mean, there are tons of lists people make about what's been changed, what's been improved, etc. Those aren't all necessarily wrong, but more a very clinical look at the game. Just experiencing it in action it just feels better than Oblivion, for whatever that is worth. Again, I've only had two hours worth of time with it (my girlfriend just had her first, 'it's only been an hour... wait, it's been three?' moment) but as far as the minute-to-minute experience with, it seems like Bethesda have really brought it.

My perspective: I quite enjoy both Morrowind and Oblivion. They've got their obnoxious issues, yeah, but they still nail their number one goal: letting you play around in a chillin' fantasy world. I was a bit less hot on Fallout 3, which I felt was probably tighter as a game system, but more problematic with bugs that mucked up or even canceled out quests - which are generally meatier than the average ES quest, making the bugs that much more devastating to actually enjoying the game. I booted it up a new file a month or so ago to give Bethesda's last generation of games a spin one more time, and the Sheriff Simms/Mr. Byrne thing went haywire almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    i am thinking of buying this game kinda soonish
    but ass my experience with rpgs is pretty much only final fantasy do you guys think i will enjoy it?
    People throw the 'RPG' phrase around too willy-nilly. It's not a catch-all term the way a lot of people think. FF and ES are vastly different types of games, the commonality being the presence of visible statistics and numbers for the player to muck around with (the 'RPG' part of most are referring to). My advice is to check out some clips on Youtube to see if you'd be into it at all.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 11-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahahahahaha

>alt-tabbing a Steam game

Yeah that one's Gaben's fault.

There was a lot of hype about this game before it came out, but the more I listen to people who have played it, the happier I get that I cancelled my preorder. Not that it is necessarily a bad game, but it does seem as though it isn't living up to the hype. Nor has it bypassed the traditional Bethesda bug-fest.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually think it's an excellent game.

The games looks incredible, imo. If not by realism, certainly by design. Which is why I adored Morrowind.

This game feels even moreso. Never before have I felt a world be so free, so alive, so colorful. The world is alive and you actually get immersed into a culture and a way of living. Watching wolves chase rabbits, walking in on a spouse argument, requesting songs from local bards, the game brings so many little things in that just makes it feel real. You feel less like a player and more like a tourist. Every inch of the world feels like it was crafted customly as opposed to the rather thrown-together Oblivion world.

The game is certainly not without its faults, primarily the god-awful interface. But it does one thing that I truly cannot put into words any other. With Skyrim, you need not to suspend disbelief; the game does it for you.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    There was a lot of hype about this game before it came out, but the more I listen to people who have played it, the happier I get that I cancelled my preorder. Not that it is necessarily a bad game, but it does seem as though it isn't living up to the hype. Nor has it bypassed the traditional Bethesda bug-fest.
    Er what? I've not seen a single person who has played it give it anything but the most glowing review. This is probably the only time I've seen simplification done properly, in that you don't miss what's gone because you're too busy with the great stuff that is there, just going out and having adventures and getting into wacky trouble and holy trout giants hit hard. I don't know what you've been reading but "The equal of Morrowind", "GOTY", and "This game is awesome" are at the lower end of the praise it's getting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The more I play the game, the more I like it. Although I'm getting towards the point that I have to start leveling in order to complete some quests, so I guess the proof will be in the next few hours of playing. I've reached nearly every town, now, too. I think I have one more to go. Still undecided about whether I'll go for Imperial Army or Stormcloaks... both have good arguments behind their side and I like to go for the side I feel has the most justification, at least in my first playthrough.

Just starting to fight vampires. I hate vampires. I wish I was fighting dragons instead. I've not had many of them... maybe I need to advance the storyline a bit. I've seen three and beaten two - one flew off into the distance after I heard it. The third I found near an Imperial camp, so had help to beat it. I'm wondering if I can beat one on my own just yet... only one way to find out!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

I'm alomst 60 hours in, have all enchanted Daedric and Dragonplate armor, and a Daedric sword and bow, with Incinerate and Thunderbolt magic. I somehow got the ability to turn into a werewolf, and have killed four dragons. I can't play for longer than three or fours hours at a time without getting bored with it or annoyed, but for the most part I love it. It's the best modern game I've played for quite a while, even though it feels more sandbox than Oblivion did.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

200k+ players on Steam on the first day means, "PC gamers love console ports!"

Redeeming features:
    1) Nice map
    2) Possibility of a mod that makes children murderable

First Elder Scrolls I've enjoyed.

I like there Perk Systerm (Probably inspired by Fallout, though very different in it's set up and Execution), going to Fall Out's superior Lock Picking system, the people look a lot more like people now, and the very first character you meet in the game is awesome.

I'm playing only so often since I don't actually own it, it's my buddies, but I am pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it is.

Though in a few days it still takes a back seat to Saints Row.

Quote Originally Posted by Cim View Post
    Have you tried riding a horse yet??
    Horses seem even more broken than they were in Oblivion. You can literally climb 89 degree angle slopes. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife777 View Post
    I'm alomst 60 hours in, have all enchanted Daedric and Dragonplate armor, and a Daedric sword and bow, with Incinerate and Thunderbolt magic. I somehow got the ability to turn into a werewolf, and have killed four dragons. I can't play for longer than three or fours hours at a time without getting bored with it or annoyed, but for the most part I love it. It's the best modern game I've played for quite a while, even though it feels more sandbox than Oblivion did.
    60 hours? it has only been out a few days lol

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahahahahahahaha I wandered into a Giant camp by accident and Lydia got hit so hard she went sailing into the air and I'm pretty sure she landed somewhere in High Hrothgar

Also holy smurf if you forego fast travel this game is huge.