Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

So far this is the worst game I've ever played. I've clocked only three hours so far, but...holy poop!

I've heard good things about Skyward Sword, so I wanted to play it. I bought it Sunday afternoon on a whim, and I was unaware that Wii MotionPlus was required (never even heard of it prior to buying this game). I came home late on Sunday night after leaving MLG and tried to play Skyward Sword. I couldn't!

Since when do games require accessories!? I was fuming.

Finally, tonight, after getting a new controller with MotionPlus built in as well as a new nunchuk (I couldn't find my original one and assume it was lost in the move), I was able to play a few hours of Skyward Sword.

1. Why does Link have a stamina gauge!? Why is there a penalty for lifting heavy things and running? Why does Link get tired and out-of-breath? I thought I was playing a video game. D=
    2. Controlling my bird during the chase was very hard and also exhausting for my arm.
    3. Diving into a circle after the ceremony was also very hard. Attempting it over and over again was not fun. I was in awe at what I was being forced to do in order to progress.
    4. Swinging my arm every time I wanted to slash something was frustrating. I JUST WANT TO USE BUTTONS. PLEASE. Motion controls are poop. They are not winning me over!
    5. Why is the replacement for Navi a ghostly robot-girl?
    6. I still haven't seen a dungeon. I thought the first place I landed on the "surface" would be the first dungeon. I go all the way to the bottom of the "Sealed Grounds," strike some...thing, run all the way back up the hills and into the ruins, and an old hermit tells me I have to go somewhere else.

This is not a good first impression. D=
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 06-13-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The dungeons in Skyward Sword were definitely one of the highlights for me. As with most modern Zelda games... the first few hours are by far the worst. Give it a chance though as it really is an excellent game. Although, if you're not keen on the control system then it may put you off.

It isn't my favourite in the series but it is still an excellent entry.

Blog Entries

If you're new to motion controls it's definitely going to feel weird. My friends were trying to swing their arms super wildly when they first played. The best thing you can do is try to be as lazy as you possibly can. If you put in too much effort you'll tire yourself out, and your larger motion is more likely to be inaccurate. So find a good way to sit, and try to keep the controller as close to your lap as you can, in a relaxing way. At least, that's how I do it. It makes combat so much easier.

Edit: Oh, and the diving part shouldn't be that hard, at least not from what I remember. :O Imagine that Link himself is the remote there. So if your controller is perfectly level, Link will fly straight down, because he's level. Tilt it forward so Link'll tilt forward and whatnot.
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 06-13-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    If you're new to motion controls it's definitely going to feel weird. My friends were trying to swing their arms super wildly when they first played. The best thing you can do is try to be as lazy as you possibly can. If you put in too much effort you'll tire yourself out, and your larger motion is more likely to be inaccurate. So find a good way to sit, and try to keep the controller as close to your lap as you can, in a relaxing way. At least, that's how I do it. It makes combat so much easier.
    It also makes motion controls pointless and gimmicky.

Buttons, please!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if buttons would've really worked with what this game was trying to do, though. :o But anyway, it really is a fantastic game if you can get used to the controls. Give it a shot. :3

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree that motion controls are too gimmicky and I would have preferred a Zelda game without them. But stick with it at least through the first dungeon (you should be close) because it does get fun.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I'll stick with it. D=

The game costed me too much money not to. XD

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will say that the first two hours of this game were some of the most boring of any game I've played in a long while. Most Zelda games are slow to start but this one was exceptionally bad.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Scumbag Lamonda: Buys motion controled game, complains that it's motion controlled.

Fi is the worst thing in the history of gaming, and no one likes a stamina gauge. Other than that I liked it though. Well, and the last boss battle was really hard with the motion controls. But the rest of the boss battles were quite fun, and I liked the motion control overall--it just takes some getting used to. They probably should've omitted things where you had to slash a certain direction quickly.

The storyline and the characterizations of Link and Zelda were sooo cute though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Scumbag Lamonda: Buys motion controled game, complains that it's motion controlled.
    i h8 u 4ever now

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    Since when do games require accessories!? I was fuming.
    I remember newer games on the N64 required the expansion pack to run. It's not like this is new for Nintendo.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I believe you, but I've never before taken home a game, anxiously put it in my console, and found out that I had to buy additional equipment in order to play. It's a horrible feeling!

:kaocry2:
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 06-14-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had that happen to me once when I rented a game for the N64. They didn't even have the expansion pack to give out so I had to trade the game for something else. D: