Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov. It's long, but an easy read since it's well translated. I can see how this book would be the book of its time, but a lot of the commentary isn't really relevant to today's world. Still, it has interesting characters and some amusing moments and there is a murder mystery.
    YES, someone else reading this masterpiece.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov. It's long, but an easy read since it's well translated. I can see how this book would be the book of its time, but a lot of the commentary isn't really relevant to today's world. Still, it has interesting characters and some amusing moments and there is a murder mystery.
    Which translation are you using? I like the Pevear-Volokhonsky because it feels more Russian, but is still very readable.

@Shlup do you know when TWoW is due? I don't think it'll take as long to get #6 as it took to get #5, but I'm impatient as well.

Yeah, a Song of Ice and Fire is excellent, just finished the first book recently. Disliked the show though, it didn't capture the subtle feel of A Game of Thrones for me. I just bought the hardcover of Dance of Dragons, and I'm looking forward to reading A Clash of Kings!

I tried to start As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner recently but I really have no time to read and appreciate a full novel in between all my school readings. So I'm just dipping in and out of some poetry collections, mainly Dylan Thomas and Charles Bukowski.

Jellyfish swim by.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Which translation are you using? I like the Pevear-Volokhonsky because it feels more Russian, but is still very readable.
    Believe it or not I tried to read the Brothers Karamazov when I was a kid a few times, and I didn't understand it. I think I would follow it better now, but I don't generally enjoy Russian writers (Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago for example bored me to pieces, though I rather like the film). Would you guys say that the Brothers is better than Zhivago? If so I might give it another shot.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    Believe it or not I tried to read the Brothers Karamazov when I was a kid a few times, and I didn't understand it. I think I would follow it better now, but I don't generally enjoy Russian writers (Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago for example bored me to pieces, though I rather like the film). Would you guys say that the Brothers is better than Zhivago? If so I might give it another shot.
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky is, in my opinion (and in the opinion of good number of literary scholars), one of the top 10 greatest writers of all time. Many people consider Brothers the greatest of Dostoyevsky's works (though my favorite's The Idiot). I can't promise you that you'll like it, but if you don't, I fear for you and pity you greatly. Also, it's a difficult work to follow even with age and experience. For one thing, Dostoyevsky doesn't use a single voice, each character has its own voice. The book is filled with Russian sensibilities and mindsets and with religious allusions that are easily missed by a reader with no background in those areas. Nabokov is probably the most accessible Russian writer that's any good. I like them all though.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's that one.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It's that one.
    Would you recommend that particular translation? I'm thinking of buying it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's pretty good, and most people recommend it. However, it's the only one I've read so I don't really know.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It's pretty good, and most people recommend it. However, it's the only one I've read so I don't really know.
    All right, maybe I'll have to research the other versions to find out more, but if that one's as good as you say maybe it's the one to buy. I had a copy at one point, split into two parts (might have been a Penguin edition) but I have no idea who translated it. My family owned it and we got rid of it eventually, because I doubted I would ever read it in its entirety. But considering the rave reviews it's getting on here, and my desire to expand my reading palette, I'll probably have to buy it again.

FFXIV Character

It is the one to buy. There are a couple other great translations, but they are each either more scholarly (and less accessible) or over-translated (meaning destroying the Russian idioms and textures) or under-translated (meaning so overly Russian that without some background in the language they're nearly incomprehensible). The Pevear translation is great for those who don't have any Russian language background but are able to appreciate and comprehend some idiomatic language and cultural perspective. Also I'm a purest, so one of the other copies I have, translated by Constance Garnett, is largely untouched. From what I've read, it's one of the over-translated versions and it hacks Dostoyevsky's work to pieces. I read part of a copy that one of my professors had which was translated by someone with a funny (it was to me anyway but I don't remember why) name that I can't remember. It was like Andrew Andrews or something. It seemed to be of a high quality but I didn't read the whole thing. My professor said it was his favorite, though. If you judge a book by its cover, it'd my favorite too. It's the one, iirc, with the snowy painting.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

@Shlup do you know when TWoW is due? I don't think it'll take as long to get #6 as it took to get #5, but I'm impatient as well.
    No. I follow George R.R. Martin on LiveJournal, but he hasn't mentioned the book for a long time. It looks like he's been kind of busy with another project lately. I'm pessimistic about it, though, on account of the gap between the last two books. I just hope the old man doesn't croak before he finishes.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    No. I follow George R.R. Martin on LiveJournal, but he hasn't mentioned the book for a long time. It looks like he's been kind of busy with another project lately. I'm pessimistic about it, though, on account of the gap between the last two books. I just hope the old man doesn't croak before he finishes.
    O_O I hadn't even thought of that...That is a terrible terrible thought.
    At the current rate the show will catch up with the books. I don't like all the changes the show made, but it's still good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    O_O I hadn't even thought of that...That is a terrible terrible thought.
    At the current rate the show will catch up with the books. I don't like all the changes the show made, but it's still good stuff.
    I didn't like the show at all, ruined the story for me. But loved the first book. And I'm in no rush for book 6 to be released because I have yet to start A Clash of Kings.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The third part of my favorite series of anti-hero books, Aloha From Hell. The third book of the Sandman Slim stories.
    Sandman Slim, and Kill The Dead (lol) are all three amazing books. Highly recommend.