Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha readin?

Quote Originally Posted by erikramza View Post
    The third part of my favorite series of anti-hero books, Aloha From Hell. The third book of the Sandman Slim stories.
    Sandman Slim, and Kill The Dead (lol) are all three amazing books. Highly recommend.
    I love antiheroes! What's the series about?

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I finished it awhile ago, but Neil Gaiman's American Gods is one of the best books I've ever read. Really, anything by Neil Gaiman is pretty awesome. He's friends with Terry Pratchett, how could he be anything but awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I finished it awhile ago, but Neil Gaiman's American Gods is one of the best books I've ever read. Really, anything by Neil Gaiman is pretty awesome. He's friends with Terry Pratchett, how could he be anything but awesome.
    I started reading Gaiman's Sandman comic book series and I wasn't immediately hooked but it's tone was pretty cool. So you would recommend American Gods if I enjoy the Sandman series?

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    I started reading Gaiman's Sandman comic book series and I wasn't immediately hooked but it's tone was pretty cool. So you would recommend American Gods if I enjoy the Sandman series?
    The thing about Gaiman is that he's very postmodern, so he drifts in and out of different styles and ideas. He's written very adult books (not naughty, just mature), like American Gods, and he's written comics, and he's written books for kids (my favorite being The Graveyard Book, but the more recognizable being Coraline, which was made into a rather awesome movie by Henry Selick who directed James and the Giant Peach and the Nightmare Before Christmas)
    Anyone interested in worldviews or cultural progress or Americana or Fantasy as a genre should read the book. And it should, without any doubt, be part of the canon of postmodern thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    The thing about Gaiman is that he's very postmodern, so he drifts in and out of different styles and ideas. He's written very adult books (not naughty, just mature), like American Gods, and he's written comics, and he's written books for kids (my favorite being The Graveyard Book, but the more recognizable being Coraline, which was made into a rather awesome movie by Henry Selick who directed James and the Giant Peach and the Nightmare Before Christmas)
    Anyone interested in worldviews or cultural progress or Americana or Fantasy as a genre should read the book. And it should, without any doubt, be part of the canon of postmodern thought.
    Sounds awesome, I like fantasy and adult subject matter, but I also like fiction for youth, so maybe I'll have to check out Coraline, the Graveyard Book and American Gods.

Frantically trying to master Galois Theory before an exam on Sunday (yeah, on Sunday, tit sux), so have been poring over Dummit and Foote's Abstract Algebra. Also have been reading Washinton Square by Henry James. I found it lying around the house, had no idea where it came from, and started reading it. It's pretty good, even if James isn't really my style usually.

FFXIV Character

I'm not really a Henry James fan but can't deny the influence he had on literature, and so can't just ignore his works. It's sort of a case of, to quote an old professor, "I don't enjoy reading him as much as I enjoy having read him."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Fixed.
    Umm

I picked up the first volume of Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis the other day, first comic I've bought in a long time. Anyone a fan?

Jellyfish swim by.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(my favorite being The Graveyard Book,
    I just finished this book! It is definitely my favorite Gaiman book, though I did quite like Good Omens and Stardust.

Before reading The Graveyard Book, I read the first Death Gate Cycle book - Dragon Wing. I am now reading the second one, Elven Star. The Death Gate Cycle is by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
    I am also about to start Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb even though I am not nearly finished with the Death Gate book because my mommy recommended it.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Default reading..

Reading The avengers comics. I am big fan of marvel comics. Always read Marvel comic books and sometimes of DC.
    Read Sikh Comic Books and know about your favorite characters.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post
    I picked up the first volume of Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis the other day, first comic I've bought in a long time. Anyone a fan?
    Haven't read it but always I've heard good things (no brainer since it's Warren Ellis). I took a bit of a break from Super Freakonomics to scratch the comic book itch. I just read Batman: The Long Halloween, and am re-reading All-Star Superman (I'm getting the wonderfully oversized Absolute edition for Christmas as well). If I still feel the comic book itch after I finish that I plan on re-reading Y: The Last Man.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

got some moments in the week where i have to wait... so i brought Harry Potter and the prizoner of azkaban along

ive read the 1st one on holiday but there i couldnt find Chamber of Secrets :o
    My mission is to read them all xD

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People exist who have not read Harry Potter...

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never read them. Honestly never had much interest. Enjoyed most of the movies, but not nearly enough to compel me to read the books, even if they are considered better.