Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha readin?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know why, but it annoys me beyond belief when I read a book that sucks, but has glowing amazing positive reviews. Makes me want to hit things. SO much better to read something that is crappy, but everyone knows it's crappy. Like Twilight.

Ready Player One has tremendous reviews. I mean, the negative reviews barely exist. But this book is terrible. Just truly awful stuff.

Also just finished The Year of Wonders, another one of those "Best books of the year!" type deal, and it was such amateurish writing. A lazy and cheap novel. Ugh.

Don't know what to read next, since I'm so put off by the string of bad books I've been reading lately. And I'm not in the mood for a classic.

Doctor Who?

I just finish The Mortal Instrument trilogy by Cassandra Clare and I loved it. But then I found out that apparently she's continuing the trilogy with 3 more books, and the 4th book has gotten really bad reviews, so I'm iffy about whether or not I want to read it. Has anyone else read it?

Now that I've finished with that I just started The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I'm only 3 or 4 chapters in but it seems alright so far. It's gotten really amazing reviews, and of course they've made a movie out of it.
    You always said I looked grumpy. But those were the happiest days of my life.

Blog Entries

I'm reading Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood. I'm enjoying it because the neurotic little girl is making me think of myself at the age of 8. :-!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter
    and
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

then maybe River of Earth

I'm reading one of the definitive English translations of Swann's Way, which includes material culled over 25 years ago from extensive notes and revision from the master himself. I've only read the introduction, foreword, and notes on the translation, but I've started this novel before and gotten about a third of the way through or more. Looking forward to diving into this gem with full concentration, though if I want to read the entire Search all the way through, I'll have to devote a lot of time and energy to it. I don't have the other volumes as of yet, but I'm planning to buy the boxed set online.

FFXIV Character

I wish I wasn't the only person in the world to think that Proust is/was overrated. To be fair, I haven't read In Search of Lost Time yet, so...
    It may be that I tend to not like the way French novels end up in English and I've only ever read Proust in translation. If I could only work on my French some, I would like to read some of his work in the original language and I might not be so critical. But that probably won't ever happen.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just went through a lot of reading lately. I finished the Hunger Games trilogy this week (which I thoroughly enjoyed), read Fellowship of the Ring, and with my new Kindle Fire read Once on a Time by A.A. Milne (free download). Once on a Time was a really fun read. Still on my list to read over the next couple of weeks is Water for Elephants, Slaughterhouse Five, and the rest of the Lord of the Rings books.

I'm like 75% through Infinite Jest, according to goodreads. I love it and I don't want to finish it

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I wish I wasn't the only person in the world to think that Proust is/was overrated. To be fair, I haven't read In Search of Lost Time yet, so...
    It may be that I tend to not like the way French novels end up in English and I've only ever read Proust in translation. If I could only work on my French some, I would like to read some of his work in the original language and I might not be so critical. But that probably won't ever happen.
    I have no idea who Proust is, aside from a chemist. Who came up with Proust's Law.

Speaking of chemistry I'm re-reading "Uncle Tungsten" which is Dr. Oliver Sacks's account of his chemistry-filled childhood. Love this book <3

I'm back to the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson - I bought the first 3 books in the Final Chronicles, so I'll probably start those right away after. With every book there's a leap in the quality of his writing, from the plot to his usage of description and metaphors. Despite the fact that many could find the main characters, Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery, very unlikeable, I find that their reactions to their own internal despair deeply engaging, and the mission they're on to save the Land is full of excitement and adventure (albeit adventures that are often of a grim and deadly sort). Donaldson has a whole host of varied and fascinating secondary characters, but where he really shines is in the development of the turmoil of his main characters, and the many conflicting beliefs and desires that arise within them. Their struggle against Despite is all the more poignant as they attempt to overcome their own damaged souls and personae, which to me is the true centerpiece and theme of the series. A much deeper fantasy saga than most.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Shion let me borrow Pyramids by Terry Pratchett. I really like his humor, and disc world in general. It'll be a quick read if I ever sit down and concentrate, instead of 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there. Either way it's fun.

FFXIV Character

I love Terry Pratchett. Pyramids isn't the best he has to offer, but I've never read one of Pratchett's books I didn't like. And that's a lot of books. I've also never started a discworld book that I didn't finish in one sitting.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I agree, but so far it's enjoyable. I think if I get time this weekend, I'll finish it. I've really only started, but I keep getting interrupted by things. I haven't touched it in a few days.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Yeah I don't like it quite as much as the other series he wrote so far but it's growing on me.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaforever View Post
    I'm currently re-reading '1984' by George Orwell which is a staggering book. Before that though I read "The Man on Platform 5" by Robert Llewellyn (of Red Dwarf fame) which cheered me right up! There aren't enough books around with happy endings.
    You should look The Redemption of Althalus, has a very happy ending and is a very easy book to read.

Currently I am in the middle of 2 books:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - my least favourite book of the entire series, though admittedly Rowling certainly knows how to write up characters you hate (really can't stand Snape and Umbridge). The book I read while I'm at work

Faith of the Fallen - also my least favourite of the Sword of Truth series lol, I like it, but its a little slow at times, though if you want to be technical while I have the book I'm not reading it as much as listening to it while I do other stuff.