Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Whatcha readin?

I'm still sort of reading A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Well, the trilogy of four to be more precise. I forget which one I'm up to though, it's been a while

Next on my list is The Hunt for Red October. It is a gargantuan book though so I don't know if I'll get a chance to actually pick it up and start.

So, whatcha readin?

The Hitchhiker's series was a fun read, though I found the genuine laugh out loud moments were few and far between. I'm reading the One Tree by Stephen R Donaldson, the second book in the second Thomas Covenant Trilogy. Donaldson excels in two areas - describing despair and exhaustion. He also uses extremely archaic words that aren't even in the dictionary. When I first read the trilogy I found it quite depressing, but I've come to understand it now and it doesn't bother me as much. I would highly recommend both the First and Second Chronicles to anyone who enjoys good fantasy and good writing.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In the past few weeks, I've finished:

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - Exquisite. Love love loved it.
    Major Pettigew's Last Stand - Charming, quick read.
    The Elegance of a Hedgehog - Quirky, ironic.
    Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood - It was one of the most beautifully written book I've ever read. Although frustratingly slow at times.

I read a lot of books simultaneously, so I'm also reading Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and also the Eragon book that just came out (don't laugh at me). Whenever I read something high brow, I always have to balance it out with something a little trashy or easy.

I'd also really like to get my hands on The Night Circus, since it's apparently supposed to be THE NEXT BIG THING.

I'm really looking forward to 11/22/63, I'm getting it for Christmas. It sounds like it could be one of Stephen King's best novels. It's about a man who travels back in time to prevent the assassination of JFK. And after that he's releasing a new Dark Tower book. I bet they're both going to be great!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis. I love absolutely everything by this man, and this is no exception. This one is definitely up there with his best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    I'm really looking forward to 11/22/63, I'm getting it for Christmas. It sounds like it could be one of Stephen King's best novels.
    And I'm looking forward to this as well, it sounds amazing.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Recently finished Watership Down for the millionth time (one of my favorite books EVER), and started to re-read The Brothers Karamazov (which IS my favorite book ever)

I'm also reading Hux's current work-in-progress as he sends it to me

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Just finished reading Asimov's Foundation Series for about the tenth time. Also finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem, which was the first Stephenson work I'd read--was fantastic. Starting The Idiot tonight for the third time (I feel like I'm missing some crucial elements).

Atwood is one of my favorite female authors. Her Penelopiad made me rethink The Odyssey, and The Robber Bride, Cat's Eye, and The Handmaid's Tale are all fantastic.
    Last edited by chionos; 11-14-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Next on my list is The Hunt for Red October. It is a gargantuan book though so I don't know if I'll get a chance to actually pick it up and start.
    Compared to most of Tom Clancy's later stuff, The Hunt for Red October is fairly short. Rainbow Six is probably my favourite though.

At the moment I'm making my way through Super Freakonomics. I plan on starting Metro 2033 after that. Then maybe I'll make the time to re-read the Dune series again.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Because I had some time to kill I decided to reread an old book I had lying around. Rowan of Rin. Nice and short, was still as enjoyable as I remember. A good way to help writing for YA is to read the books.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I'm still sort of reading A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Well, the trilogy of four five to be more precise. I forget which one I'm up to though, it's been a while
    Fixed.

Also, I'm reading law school casebooks.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been in a reading slump since finishing the latest A Song of Ice and Fire book. I'm kind of half reading the very Twilight-esque Shiver, but not with any enthusiasm. I'm mostly reading though the "smut" section on Manga Updates.

I need a new book to get into, but all I want is the The Winds of Winter. ;_;

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov. It's long, but an easy read since it's well translated. I can see how this book would be the book of its time, but a lot of the commentary isn't really relevant to today's world. Still, it has interesting characters and some amusing moments and there is a murder mystery.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm currently re-reading '1984' by George Orwell which is a staggering book. Before that though I read "The Man on Platform 5" by Robert Llewellyn (of Red Dwarf fame) which cheered me right up! There aren't enough books around with happy endings.

Blog Entries

For some reason, I can't seem to focus if I read more than two books at a time. oO

I'm currently making my way through Michael Crichton's classic Jurassic Park. Read it a million times, and I never get tired of it.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    In the past few weeks, I've finished:

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - Exquisite. Love love loved it.
    Major Pettigew's Last Stand - Charming, quick read.
    The Elegance of a Hedgehog - Quirky, ironic.
    Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood - It was one of the most beautifully written book I've ever read. Although frustratingly slow at times.

I read a lot of books simultaneously, so I'm also reading Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and also the Eragon book that just came out (don't laugh at me). Whenever I read something high brow, I always have to balance it out with something a little trashy or easy.

I'd also really like to get my hands on The Night Circus, since it's apparently supposed to be THE NEXT BIG THING.

Blind Assassin
    ! It's so fantastic and puts me at awe of Atwood's craft. You should try Cat's Eye and The Robber Bride. I adore those both. I cannot wait until she finishes the last of the MaddAdam trilogy.

Apparently The Night Circus is quite something.

I'm currently reading:
    Starship Troopers - Heinlein
    Netherland - O'Neill
    1Q84 - Murakami (fantastic work, but I really have no time to read this 900 page monster, so I'm going at it so slowly)
    The Broom of the System - Wallace (This is also slow going; I have no time to read personally with all of my English classes)
    Prey - Crichton (required for class)

I strongly recommend Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Foer. I read it for my 9/11 lit class, and it was just incredibly moving and worked with the novel form in a really innovative way.