Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst parts of the game!

Default Best and worst parts of the game!

Just curious! One for each category

BEST - Finding your way back to the Ragnarok on disc 4 (I almost cried with happiness, even if there wasn't much to do story wise)!

WORST - The whole 'in space' section on disc 3 generally put a downer on me. It pretty much just felt like one huge cutscene after another (minus the Propagator battles), especially the whole catching Rinoa in space section! [levian]I wish Square would've included a 'screw Rinoa and safe your own ass' option... after which Squall tells the party back on Earth a whole fabricated web of lies in which Rinoa cheats on Squall with a damn sexy Propagator called Bruce and unable to live with her cheating ways commits suicide shortly after by standing under the cock-pit elevator and pressing the 'call lift' button... [/levian]

Anyone else?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BEST: Eyes on Me (means a lot to me personally)
    WORT: Running all the way down D-District Prison, only to find I had to run all the way up.

Eyes on me? The ending version or the scene in the Ragnarok? You know, I forgot all about D-District prison... but yeah, that'd have to be my second worse, especially as you can die in that FMV sequence (took me two tries to figure out what I had to do duh)!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
    Eyes on me? The ending version or the scene in the Ragnarok? You know, I forgot all about D-District prison... but yeah, that'd have to be my second worse, especially as you can die in that FMV sequence (took me two tries to figure out what I had to do duh)!
    Mostly the Ragnarok, because It's such a beautiful scene between my two favorite characters in any FF game, but the way it's done in the ending is very powerful too, but it wouldn't be so without the Ragnorak scene.

Yeah, the thing with the D-District Prison is that the game actually makes you go all the way downstairs to the bottom floor, and then it's all like "Hey guess what, we just played a joke on you, the real exist's upstairs!" And by the FMV do you mean when Squall's dangling on the bridge as the prison submerges? That part *beeped* with my head first time around....

Yeah, I remember thinking at the time, either they're taking the p*ss or just trying to cover up a plot hole, seemed pretty jarring at the time! And yes, the bit where the bridge submerges... it was an awesome scene though, but I think the first time it happened I hadn't saved in aaages (it's not like you expect to get killed by FMVs lol)!

Blog Entries

Yeah, I remember thinking at the time, either they're taking the p*ss or just trying to cover up a plot hole, seemed pretty jarring at the time! And yes, the bit where the bridge submerges... it was an awesome scene though, but I think the first time it happened I hadn't saved in aaages (it's not like you expect to get killed by FMVs lol)!
    Exactly! When I saw that it was like;

GAME: *Plays cool FMV*
    ME: Man, I dunno what's happening, but it looks really cool.
    GAME: *Game Over screen*
    ME: "WHAT DA *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*?!"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Best: Disc 1, The Garden Battle at the end of Disc 2, Triple Triad, game mechanics concept.

Worst: Orphanage twist, Esthar, Ultimecia, how the games mechanics were implemented.

Are we talking best/worst parts of the plot or the game itself?

Plot

Best: though I think it came out of nowhere, the assassination attempt on Edea. Also, the scene between Squall and Rinoa at the sorceress memorial, and how scary and apocalyptic Lunatic Pandora looks.

Worst: D-District prison, every. single. Laguna dream and that whole concept along with any other flashback, the orphanage realization, and how crappy of a main villain Ulti was. Most of the focus on her was in passing, and her presence wasn't really developed so much as it was merely (poorly) explained, so I as the player never feel any emotion towards her when playing. I want to hate the villain just as much as the protagonists do, and I just can't do that here. We know that she's a psycho bitch and wants to achieve ze time kompression and rule ze world, but we don't know WHY she wants to do that; her motivation is never really explained, and if it's just because she's just evil at heart, I don't buy it.

Game and Mechanics

Best: triple triad, card club, and manipulating the rules (although I don't like the Queen of Cards quest; it's tedious). What separates it from junctioning imo, is that while they're both easily exploitable, triple triad still contains some degree of luck and when Same/Plus is involved, some serious concentration that makes the results more worth it than junctioning. I also love the side quests, especially all of the hidden GF's, the deep sea research center, and PuPu. Oh, and the Ragnarok looks cool.

Worst: every aspect of the dialogue (it's cheesy, excessive, often out-of-place, etc.), the fact that the characters are annoying caricatures of themselves and are wholly two-dimensional (and except for their limit breaks, there's virtually no difference between them in-battle, but that can be said for other installments in the series), the systematic way one can exploit junctioning SO early in the game, which makes the leveling system useless. Most of the music is bad too (I like FH and Eyes on Me though), and there's really no limit on weapon progression (the fact that you can get Lionheart on disc one), and the fact that you absolutely HAVE to have some of GF's for their abilities, yet you never use them in battle.

Best: Disk 1

Worst: Everything after Disk 1

Best: Ultimecia battle theme, end of disc 1, Laguna, Gilgamesh.
    Worst: Too easy, D-District, my game lags at the FMVS at the end of disc 1 (I know, my bad) , Ragnarok scene between Squall and Rinoa (too cheesy for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Best: Disc 1, The Garden Battle at the end of Disc 2, Triple Triad

Worst: Orphanage twist
    This. But I'll add more.

Best: Some of the Laguna, Kyros and Ward cutscenes, Ulimecia's castle

Worst: The incredibly forced relationship between Squall and Rinoa

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

Best: Gilgamesh

Worst: Deling City Sewers

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Best: Holy tit guys the Garden is flying wtf is going on
    Worst: Going up and down D-District Prison. I enjoyed the plot here, but uurrgh.

Blog Entries

Just curious! One for each category
    I think I was the only one who actually noticed that.

Also, it's a shame I'm still the only one who likes the orphanage scene - I really need to get that article done, but I have other projects to do first.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Best: Disc 1
    Worst Disc: The last two discs.

With FFVIII I thought the plot got more and more ridiculous, even for and FF game. However, I still think FFVIII had one of the strongest first quarters in the series, and I wholeheartedly enjoyed it.