Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am duty bound to start a thrad about the loudness war

Default I am duty bound to start a thrad about the loudness war

I've been putting this off for quite some time, but it's something that pisses me off and deserves to be addressed. Modern music is just too smurfing loud. This might sound like a strange complaint coming from someone who listens to metal, so let me explain.

An audio signal is made up of a waveform that bounces up and down between a specified range. The larger the range, the louder the signal. Digital audio is contained within a specific set of ranges - 16-bit audio, the standard for CDs, can faithfully represent up to 96 dB of dynamic range within its signal-to-noise ratio.

Somewhere along the line, audio engineers started to get the idea that louder was better. There is research of dubious quality (which has been refuted by recent studies) suggesting that records mastered to louder volumes sell more copies. This was probably a lot truer before radio stations and other music distribution services started applying their own signal processing that automatically normalises all music to the same volume. Nowadays, the only thing that happens is that the music gets processed twice, making it sound even more like tit.

Don't get me wrong; until a certain point, louder probably is better. A lot of early CDs didn't actually reach anywhere near the maximum amplitude reproducible by 16-bit audio and thus probably didn't represent the signal as faithfully as possible. However, you can only get louder a certain extent until you start hitting the floor and celing of what 16-bit audio can reproduce. And around 1995, this is exactly what started to happen.

The tipping point is generally regarded to be (What's the Story?) Morning Glory by Oasis. While an otherwise decent album, its production was marred by excessive cocaine use by all parties involved, including the engineer. Somewhere along the line it was decided that audio fidelity didn't really matter. Vlado Meller, who has gone on to ruin numerous other albums as well (the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and several albums by Gorillaz being excellent examples) just mixed the album so loud that the tops and bottoms of the waveform were clipped off. For a visual illustration of what a clipped audio signal looks like:

It sounds exactly as bad as you would expect it to. The result is audible distortion on the sound, which affects the sound of the drums particularly negatively.

It just got worse from there. Morning Glory was mastered at about -8 dB RMS; Iggy Pop's 1997 remaster of Raw Power averaged -4. Until about 2008, mastering records as loudly as possible appeared to be an irreversible trend in the music industry. It even affected the Beatles; here's a .gif of four releases of "Something":

To be fair, not all releases are clipped. There are a number of more sophisticated technologies that simply force the waveform to adhere to a very narrow amplitude range instead of actually cutting the tops and bottoms off. Here is a comparison of clipping to limiting:

As time has passed, the use of clipping has been replaced by limiting to a certain extent, although there are some artists whose releases are still clipped to this date (Muse and the Mars Volta being two flagrant examples).

The trend got especially bad when it started affecting even bands like Genesis, the Doors, and Joy Division, who had been around for decades. Labels would start reissuing new masters of albums that would have no dynamic range at all.

What happened in 2008 to bring things to a head was the release of Metallica's Death Magnetic. This album was so atrociously clipped that it was completely unlistenable, and it prompted a media backlash. Even engineer Ted Jensen, who himself has been behind no small number of brickwalled mixes, criticised the mix, claiming that the audio was already brickwalled when it came to him. What compounded the media firestorm was the release of all ten tracks from the album on Guitar Hero 3, in which they sounded just fine, with no clipping or (unwanted) distortion whatsoever. This suggested that it was a conscious choice by the band (and Rick Rubin. Seriously, smurf Rick Rubin; he ruins every album on which he's allowed anywhere near the mastering board) to have the audio clipped. The audio was even horribly clipped on the vinyl. There is no small amount of irony to the fact that Metallica, the industry's anti-piracy poster boys, have released an album that can only be truly appreciated via piracy.

Morning Glory was one tipping point; Death Magnetic was another. The backlash against that album became too great to ignore. Metallica, predictably, didn't flinch in the face of criticism and refused to admit they released an inferior product, but the controversy over that album doubtless caused other artists to re-evaluate their positions. Devin Townsend, with his 2009 release Ki, remarked, "I officially pull my hat out of the loudness wars," and late in 2008 when Bob Ludwig offered Axl Rose three mixes of Chinese Democracy, Rose went with the one that had the least volume compression.

Some helpful resources if you want to learn more or help free yourself from this plague are TV Tropes, Wikipedia, Imperfect Sound Forever, Turn Me Up, and Loudness-war.info. The last of these is a database of dynamic range, in decibels, on a large number of commercially released albums. The higher the score, the more range.

Additionally, there are ways to edit audio to undo the effects of clipping to a certain extent. It is incredibly time-consuming, requires a decent computer, and requires you to know what you're doing, and it still won't sound as good as if the album hadn't been clipped, but it will still sound better than the commercial release. If there is interest I can write up a guide on how to do this in Audacity.
    Last edited by The Man; 12-04-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries

I've just realised that Nine Inch Nails were supposed to be a soft rock band but it all went horribly wrong in post-production

there was a picture here

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I don't really understand but I like seeing bands I know and going Hey!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lol. I was actually thinking a lot about how most of my 80's music is so much more quiet than my newer metal a while ago.

I was pretty glad to read through some of this and see that my music has come out relatively clean. Then I saw Animals as Leaders and Periphery being mentioned.

I now see why you prefer vinyl over CD.

Yep. Unfortunately there are examples of asshole record companies using the same horrible mix for vinyl as they used for CD. Death Magnetic, Californication, etc. However, more often than not vinyl receives its own mix, especially (strangely enough) on small labels.

Also, here are a couple of youtube videos that may be helpful in internalising what the difference in sound created by the loudness war is.

Anyway, here's a guide I wrote to repairing clipped audio with Audacity. It was requested on another board I posted this thrad at, so I might as well repoast it here too, as hopefully people will find it helpful.

The first thing you're going to want to do is make sure the album is actually clipped. The best way to do this is by looking at the waveform. If it looks like this:

Then it's probably clipped. You can zoom in further to see what the peaks look like. A clipped signal will somewhat resemble this:

Where you can see lots of signals hitting the peak right next to one another. (Audacity has a feature called "Show Clipping," but this will only work if the signal goes all the way up to 0 dB, and it's not always reliable).

Clip Fix will affect audio compressed with other compression filters, but it will not do so as much. If the audio used a distortion filter, you'll get quite a bit of recovery, though not as much as you would from actually clipped audio. If the audio used a peak limiter, you probably won't get any audible difference. Unfortunately the only way I'm aware of to tell for sure whether distortion or peak limiting was used is running clip fix and seeing how much dynamic range was recovered.

So you've determined you have clipped audio. You're going to want to make sure you have a good-quality version of the album before you start repairing it, because there is no point in repairing bad audio. Ideally you should be repairing from FLAC or some other lossless audio format, because applying lossy compression to audio already sourced from a lossy source results in egregious losses of quality that even non-audiophiles will be able to notice. Unfortunately, occasionally people upload tracks that are converted from lossy formats as FLAC, so you'll want to go to the spectrum analysis, which you can do by clicking the arrow on the top next to the "1.0" in the track view and selecting "Spectrum". Zoom out to 22k. If you have frequencies going all the way up:

Then it's probably legit. (Occasionally, albums are mixed from lossy sources. In these cases, there is no way to get a legitimate lossless rip, unless you happen to have the original master tapes and can make your own mix; in which case, it would be pointless to Clip Fix the audio anyway. Also, with piano music and other instruments that don't have lots of high frequencies you won't see audio extending to 22 kHz, but piano music is rarely clipped anyway). The best way to ensure you have a legit rip is to make your own FLAC rip with Exact Audio Copy. If you don't have the CD, there are plenty of places where you can find rips, but teaching you how to pirate music is beyond the scope of this guide.

Ideally, the best way to repair clipped audio is to do an entire album at once. This way you can be sure you are reducing the volume of all tracks by the same net amount, meaning that you will not get inconsistent levels from track to track. I would recommend loading the entire album into foobar2000, selecting "Convert", outputting as FLAC, destination "Generate multi-track files." This will embed a cuesheet into the file that will preserve the track listing, and it will also enable you to work on the entire album at once.

First I am going to run you through how to fix a case of ordinary digital clipping, and then I will run you through a couple of special cases.

The filter we're going to be using is called "Clip Fix." You can access this under the "Effect" menu. Clip Fix advises you to reduce the volume of the track by 10 dB. In my experience, this often isn't enough. If an album is as badly clipped as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (the record I'm using for my example), you will easily recover much more than 10 dB of dynamic range. We're not going to be keeping all of this, because Clip Fix often overcompensates, but you need the room to work with in the mean time. I would recommend amplifying by -20 dB. If you've over-compensated, you can always re-amplify later. So the first thing you'll want to do is select the entire album, select "Effect - Amplify" and type in "-20." (You can use a different number, but if you do, you'll want to remember it and replace future references to "-20" in this tutorial with the number you use).

After you've got the track volume reduced, you're going to want to make sure the audio maintains a consistent level across the album. Sometimes record companies clip different tracks, or even different sections of the same track, at different levels. I have no idea why they do this, but I can name numerous albums by different artists (Dream Theater - Falling into Infinity, several albums by Moonsorrow, etc.), where different tracks, or different sections of the same tracks, are clipped at different ranges. You will want to zoom in at the peak of the waveform and see if they are clipped at different ranges. Here is Falling into Infinity by Dream Theater:

As you can see, the second song is clipped at a different level than the rest of the album. So for Falling into Infinity, you will want to start by clip fixing the first song, then clip fixing the second song, then clip fixing the rest of the album approximately twenty minutes at a time. The reason you need to do this is because Clip Fix only addresses audio near the peak of the selection. Since the clipped audio in the second track will mostly not be near the peak of the selection, you will need to address the audio in the second track separately.

The settings you're going to want to use with Clip Fix will usually be the default. (In cases where faded out audio is clipped, you may wish to adjust the settings; I will address doing faded out audio later). 95% threshold is good. Too much lower than that and you start having the filter alter audio that's not really clipped. That's bad. I would say 90% is the absolute minimum you will want for audio clipped at a constant level. In some cases you actually may need to go higher (98% or 99%) to preserve audio fidelity. I have not actually worked out why this is, or how to identify recordings where this will be necessary, but when I did a 95% clip fix of Petrychor's Dryad I noticed a distinctly audible loss of higher-frequency registers that did not occur when I clip fixed it at 99%. This is the only time I have ever observed this happening, however.

Once you've done the entire album, you will have something that looks like this:

Unfortunately, Clip Fix isn't a perfect filter; it will have overcompensated in many cases and created audio that will create undesirable "pops" in the speaker. If we've recovered more than about 5 dB of audio (you can tell how much you recovered by going to "Amplify" and seeing how much it suggests adding to the piece; subtract from 20, or whatever number you reduced the volume by, to see how much you recovered), we'll probably have this problem. The best way to deal with this is (strangely, given how much I usually hate dynamic range compression) by applying moderate volume compression to the repaired segments of the audio.

There are a number of different compression algorithms one can use, but I find most of them to be flawed in some way or another. There is a custom "soft knee" filter that does not work instantaneously and produces some distortion; there are several compressor filters that usually create audible "pumping" in the mix due to their lack of instantaneous attack and release. The best compression algorithm I have found in Audacity is the default plugin called the "hard limiter," though it is actually a hard knee filter.

Remember how we reduced the volume by -20? We're going to start at .5 above -20 and keep periodically applying the hard knee filter. Go to "Effects - Hard Limiter", input "-19.5" as the dB limit, and input something close to 1 as the "Residue Level." I select .840896 because it is the quad root of 0.5, meaning you will cut the amplitude in half approximately every 2 dB, but it is not necessary to use something so pedantic. As long as it is fairly close to 1, the effects will be desirable.

Now keep increasing the limit by .5 and repeating the filter until you hit the peak of the audio. You can tell what the peak is because it will be specified in the "Amplify" filter. If the value of your last pass through the "Hard Limiter" filter is greater than the value given to you in "Amplify," you're done.

Now the last step is to amplify the audio. I would recommend leaving 0.1 range, like so:

(If I had done the whole album we would be amplifying by much less than 14.2 dB; "Runaway" is one of the quieter tracks on MBDTF).

Naturally, since we sourced this from FLAC, we'll want to export this as FLAC. If you save as sixteen-bit FLAC, you will actually probably still be throwing away a small amount of audio data, since the volume has been reduced and the amount of data we have is beyond the scope of the sixteen-bit sample rate, but 24-bit FLAC is usually about twice the size of 16-bit FLAC and it is unlikely that the human ear can tell the difference with a clip fix from a 16-bit source, so I would recommend simply exporting as 16-bit FLAC.

That said, certain methods of exporting 16-bit audio result in the introduction of a fair bit of noise into the files. It is probably not audible to most people, but it will make the files larger. Before you export, I would recommend going to "Preferences", selecting "Quality" and setting "Dithering" to "Rectangle". This will eliminate the problem.

And we're done. The result should look something like this:

And it should be much more pleasing to the ear than the crap record companies usually excrete these days. Note that we will not have fixed all instances of clipping in the album; Clip Fix is not that good. But we still will have solved enough of them to make a difference.

Two additional last things are worth noting. The first is cases where engineers clipped the audio before fading it out. This is a massive pain in the arse and unfortunately, the way the plugin exists right now, the only way to deal with it is to clip fix a few tenths of a second of audio at a time. This example from Moonsorrow's Kivenkantaja is one such case of clipped fadeout:

And here's a zoomed-in view of one peak where you can tell the peaks are clipped:

Unfortunately, you will simply have to bear the tedium of applying the filter several dozen times. Luckily, since you're only clip fixing a few tenths of a second of audio at a time, you won't have to wait long for the filter to execute. You'll also want to make sure you're not selecting near the peaks of the audio, as Clip Fix will not affect audio near the edges of a selection. Make your selection between peaks. Also, with faded out audio it is fine to use a somewhat lower threshold of clipping, although you're not going to want to reduce it too much. Sometimes, if your sensitivity is too low, Audacity won't even recover a lot of clipping. I would recommend using 90% as the threshold for faded out clipping. (Just remember to increase it back to 95% when you go get around to fixing the next track).

The only other thing worth noting is cases where there is "soft" or analogue clipping. The remasters of Van der Graaf Generator are like this. You will see waveforms approximately like this:

Ideally you're going to want to go back to non-clipped sources (like the original VdGG CD issues) because this is a massive pain in the arse to deal with, but otherwise the only real way to deal with it is by clipping the audio at a constant level. You can do this by using the "Hard Limiter" as an actual hard limiter, with a residue level of 0. You can tell what decibel level you want by selecting "Waveform - dB" in the audio view dropdown menu and zooming in. Ideally you'll want the smallest possible value that results in clipping at a constant level. Pawn Hearts complicates things further by clipping each track in a different manner (some are clipped at a constant level and some are clipped in a more analogue-like manner), so this is one of the rare cases where you will want to handle each track separately. Just make sure you amplify each track by the same amount, or albums that are continuous will have undesirable jumps in volume at track divisions.

You can create your own lossy encodes of the music after you've exported it if you want to put it on an iPod or something, but I'd recommend saving the FLAC (burning it off to disc if you're running low on disk space) so you don't have to repeat the process, because it is an incredibly time-consuming one.

Let me know if you need clarification on any of this and I will try to do so as best as I can.
    Last edited by The Man; 12-04-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I came in here expecting a grandpa rant about how tasteless modern music is, and instead found myself slightly more learned than I was before. Cheers!

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

God I hate this crap. I really wish engineers would do their jobs instead of actively screwing over the consumer by destroying the mix before release. "Well, I could just leave this all as is... but NO! I'll just crank on this here knob until the entire thing redlines at max volume! Music is SOOOO much better with half of it missing!"

I agree, this is something we discussed all the time when I was studying audio engineering. It's not so much the engineer's fault but the producer's fault, the engineer is really just taking orders when it comes down to it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Interesting stuff. Maybe I should look for an original Dark Side of the Moon copy on vinyl to compare it with the (can't exactly remember what year) re-master copy I own.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

That is an excellent topic post, The Man. I was coming into this thread to make a comment but I have nothing to say now. It's a shame so many modern albums sound weaker than they should. One of my favourite musicians, Devin Townsend, recently released an album in which he deliberately avoided mastering it to be as loud as possible. It sounds very nice.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz Rantz Revolution View Post
    I came in here expecting a grandpa rant about how tasteless modern music is, and instead found myself slightly more learned than I was before. Cheers!
    This.

I've heard of this stuff being done but wasn't sure about the extent of it, and I remember clearly the whole Death Magnetic/Guitar Hero fiasco.
    A friend of mine studied something akin to music technology/audio engineering/tonmeister, so i also learned a few bits and bobs off him.

I don't understand why this is still being done? There are absolutely NO advantages to this anymore, and shouldn't have been a thing in the first place.
    Arguably the only genre where this sort of thing actually works is in Lo-Fi indie music, which is characterized by intentional garage band low quality sounding audio, which to me sort of seems like they are just trying to be cool and ironic and all indie (I do like the band Yuck though), and even then I don't think clipping is really the method they use.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I have a super hipster friend who made an album with the intention of ruining it in this manner. Sadly it made the music better.
    Most vinyl releases don't receive a separate mix, which is why vinyl isn't as infinitely superior as most sound gurus want us to believe.
    Thanks for the walkthrough TM, very thorough.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by chionos
    I have a super hipster friend who made an album with the intention of ruining it in this manner. Sadly it made the music better.
    We all have one of those annoying friends...
    The Dickhead Song - YouTube
    Last edited by Croyles; 12-04-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    I don't understand why this is still being done? There are absolutely NO advantages to this anymore, and shouldn't have been a thing in the first place.
    The main reason is the erroneous belief that it sells more records. It is demonstrably not true, but large numbers of people still believe it. There are also probably some idiots that actually think it sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Most vinyl releases don't receive a separate mix, which is why vinyl isn't as infinitely superior as most sound gurus want us to believe.
    Nearly all the vinyl releases I own very obviously have separate mixes from the CDs. Of course, I almost never buy records from major labels, so that's probably a large part of why. No record label worth its salt will release the same horribly compressed mix they use for their CDs on vinyl. (Major labels are, of course, not worth their salt). Granted, if the CD mix wasn't compressed in the first place, it's entirely possible the vinyl used the same mix as the CD, but in any case with the rips I've made the spectrals go all the way up to 48 kHz (as opposed to 22.05 kHz for the CDs) so there is still quite a bit more fidelity on vinyl.

That said, there are a few vinyl releases I am aware of that very obviously used horrible volume compression (RHCP - Californication, Burzum - Belus, Metallica - Death Magnetic. RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, by contrast, is an aversion of this trope; it was mastered by audiophile favourite Steve Hoffman and sounds much, much better than the CD, which was mastered by the aforementioned Vlado Meller and sounds every bit as horrible as the rest of his awful, awful mixes).

Thanks for the walkthrough TM, very thorough.
    No problem. At this point I would amend it simply by pointing out that in many cases 99% threshold works much better than 95%. "Time's Scar" from Chrono Cross, for example, is horribly clipped (the second half of the track is a literal wall), and 95% threshold made no discernible difference. 99% recovered substantially more dynamic range - about 8 dB. One would not think that more sensitive threshold would work better, but in this case it did.
    Last edited by The Man; 12-04-2011 at 11:26 PM.

I am not sure anyone cares, but I introduced a paragraph into my guide for clip fixing audio about the settings one should use for exporting 16-bit FLAC. It reads:

That said, certain methods of exporting 16-bit audio result in the introduction of a fair bit of noise into the files. It is probably not audible to most people, but it will make the files larger. Before you export, I would recommend going to "Preferences", selecting "Quality" and setting "Dithering" to "Rectangle". This will eliminate the problem.