Thread: Metro 2033 ? Final Fantasy 14 ? um....

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Metro 2033 ? Final Fantasy 14 ? um....

I'm looking for a game (single player / multi / MMO / whatever) game that basically is the current generation's version of 'DOOM 3' (ie DOOM 3 could not be run at max settings using then-best-hardware)

I've checked out metro 2033 and it's pretty awesome, but my video card handled it fine. I have a (1) GTX480 btw.

If it's FF14 ... I'd rather it not be that.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If you can run it fine, just crank up the AA. You'll hit the ceiling soon enough.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Grin

Is that the setting that goes 1x 4x 8x 16x MSAA ? because it's at max already.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm sure you can force it to 32x as well, although there is no real reason for it. You could try Crysis 2 I guess.

Have you touched the game settings that aren't actually changed inside the game?

You have also not supplied information about your screen's resolution. If you're using something like 1280x800 you will probably be unable to max your card in any game. If you're using 2560x1600, you might have a better chance at doing that.

Also, what is your definition of "handle it well"? 30 fps? 60?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

You see FFXIV's graphics aren't really that intensive, it's just the extremely bad unoptomised code that makes it run like crap. Luckily they are just trashing it and writing a new graphics engine.

What about something like Battlefield 3? I haven't seen Metro 2033 so I don't know.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything Mirage said is quite applicable, especially the part about what you consider handle it well to be.

I'm not sure you're going to find what you're looking for right now though. Most PC games end up being console ports that don't really push the PC hardware at all, or worse, push it because they're so poorly optimized for PC. If you're looking for a game that will bring a PC to it's knees like Doom 3 or Crysis on max settings would when they were released, Metro 2033 is about all there is now.

Maybe Battlefield 3 would do it on max settings, but I'm not too sure. I haven't seen any benchmarks for it, but Dice said if you could run Bad Company 2 you could run Battlefield 3, and I'd say Metro is definitely more taxing on my system than Bad Company 2 was. The Battlefield series also tends to be pretty optimized for multiple cores now, so I'd imagine that if you don't have a quad core processor you'll probably find yourself limited more by your CPU on max settings than the GPU.

Blog Entries

Grin

60 fps is max. natively in windoze i can't go beyond that. or 75 fps

i M just derping with in-game settings bc i don't know any better

also 1900x1200 res. i get your point about that

i has a quad amd processor. details in a few....i might forget to. loldsl

Articles
    Blog Entries

The game you're looking for is Grand Theft Auto IV's iCEnhancer modification. Basically someone modded a game from 2008 to make it look like this 1310585147_GTAIV2011071120014857.jpg Here's a huge gallery of it. It's produced a lot of breathtaking screenshots but from what I've heard, very few people can actually get it to run.

The top PC games for this kind of thing today are Crysis 1/2, Battlefield 3, Metro, Rage, and The Witcher 2. Out of all of them, I know that BF3 and Crysis 2 were made to be really easy for PC users to run. The Witcher 2 wasn't, and it's up for debate if it's better looking than either of those. Crysis 1 is also harder, and I've heard some say it's a better looking game than Crysis 2.

But like GTA IV, all these games have mods you can find to make the graphics even better than the developers imagined. I know Crysis 1 has an insane super reality mod.

The current Doom 3 is probably still Crysis 1. Bonus points if you get some of the mods that take it up a notch.

The other option is GTA IV with mods. You are pretty much guaranteed not to be able to run it all the way up with the current ridiculous mods. From my understanding, the videos floating around that show it off can't be captured from real gameplay and are actually rendered separately in a frame by frame way to even look decent.

Aside from those, there really aren't any big PC killers. Crysis was the last time devs really tried to make a bleeding edge game that rapes video cards. The industry has instead turned to optimizing games for consoles (this is why Crysis 2 isn't nearly as PC breaking as Crysis 1). There's pretty much no money in trying to outpace PC hardware so nobody is even attempting to push the envelop any more.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I forgot about GTAIV, mostly because it was only difficult to run originally because it was a lazy console port. I'd rather not think about adding mods that push the graphics even further on top of it to be honest. But yeah, if you really want to push your graphics card to the point that everything crashes, that's probably a good bet.