Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me some PSP games

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

KH1 focuses too much on the novelty of Disney meets Square in terms of plot. By the end of the game, something interesting does developed and that s what the rest of the series is more focused on. The actual original plot is pretty interesting if a bit convulated and sounds pretty silly on paper, once you get past that, it gets better. BBS just has the fortunate help of not needing all the baggage from other games to explain things, though it unfortunately raises more questions about the overall universe.

Gameplay has also improved with a better camera that makes platforming not seem like a chore and combat gets new tweaks and mechanics in each installment. In BBS case, your characters equip skills that can be toggled in a shortcut menu a la Crisis Core, but using certain skills in succession has a chance of making a character enter into special fighting modes. So using a lot of Fire magic or skills can make your character into a mode where they gain automatic fire elemental traits for their attacks and special combos and moves. Even in these modes, building long combos and using other skills/spells can unlock second and finally third tier combat modes that are ridiculously awesome to use and watch. So combat has some interesting flow that goes with it, and setting up your skills has more importance than just their basic function.

The game also offers three different characters to play as and all three actually do play differently. Ventus is speed, Terra is power, and Aqua is magic and they all get exclusive fighting modes, skills, spells, and Shotlocks. There is definetly more variety in combat and its actually pretty fun. As I said its the best gameplay in the series so far. If you're still hesitant, at least rent it and give all three characters a whirl.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wish I had a third thumb to throw in with the two I'm already raising WAY up for Tactics Ogre. Can't recommend you get this enough, especially since it's only $20 and digitally. The game looks, sounds, and plays amazing. But if you like FFTactics, this cannot possibly let you down on the story and gameplay fronts, and IMO it's the better game with a tale larger in scope and better balanced combat. If you've played Ogre Battle there's also a couple returning characters as well as some very cool scenes with cameos that leave a grin on your face. The game has a branching plot that can be radically different based on your decisions, not only with the story, but the encounters you face. To top it off, the game has a convenient system to let you go back and take alternate routes. And on top of that, there's a lot of substantive side stories that expand on certain characters and aspects of the world, and each can, again, be radically different based on your decisions. When you see how the ending wraps up each and every choice you've made along this journey, including your failures, you just feel such a sense of accomplishment having seen this amazing work of art to its end. If all this wasn't enough, the game is flooded to the brim with side dungeons. Think Deep Dungeon. Except there's like 4 of them. And each one is uniquely designed with its own personality and back story. Like, a real significance for existing in this world.

Also just beat Valkyria Chronicles II a few days ago and if you liked the first one, you'll absolutely love this one. I'm still not entirely sure if it's the better game. It's perfectly paced with main missions, story events, side skirmishes, character development for the WHOLE roster, and versus battles. It's a very hard game to put down because you're going through all this in a well timed manner. It's very cool how it develops the side characters, because the more you use them in battles, the more side scenes you'll get with them, and unlocking a few side scenes will give you access to a unique mission for that character which is usually not only a unique challenge, but dramatically changes that characters outlook, or wraps up a loose end that's been haunting them forever. In some instances, you'll gain a bonus character which you'll also be able to do this with. With all this, the game very much continues the epic setting, personal storytelling, and fantastic music the first established. When it comes to gameplay, the maps are much smaller, where you go between different smaller areas of one map via the bases system. Eventually it does seem a little tight, even though some of these areas can be quite huge. And there's one chunk of the game 3/4s through where the combat won't be as challenging. But the challenges keep coming again shortly after. I don't know if the game is as consistently challenging as the first game. But it is still very good and is definitely an expansion on what VC1 established. Some things are improved, like promotion classes and how you unlock them. There's also a cool officer system and I think the vehicle options are much broader and more intuitive than they were in VC1.

Not sure if you like Metal Gear, but Peace Walker is just as fantastic as these two games. I can elaborate more if you're interested, just know they made a decent controlling shooter on the PSP and the story and gameplay are just as epic as Kojima is known for. Co-op Metal Gear is also more glorious than you could imagine it being.

Lastly, stay away from Assassin's Creed Revelations. I also feel like Crisis Core and Dissidia can be a waste of money unless you absolutely have to see what they're all about. I liked FFIV Complete Collection though.

Also, definitely recommend PS1 classics. FFVII-IX have never looked better than they do on the PSP. Tactics is awesome as well, and my preferred version. Xenogears was fun to play on PSP, more so than it is on an HDTV. Mega Man from PSOne Imports was a nice buy. I'm also looking out for Arc the Lad and hope Dragon Quest VII comes over.

So i have a $50 PSN card. I have decided to start with phantasy star portable 2 which is 15. The small dissidia game for 3 bucks, to see if i even like the Gameplay. Tactics: war of the lions... And one other 20 dollar game. Its between most likely tactics ogre or monster hunter.

Kingdom hearts bbs, crisis core, and both star oceans are not available digitally. Valkyria chronicles 2 is, but is currently 40 dollars.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Well I was gonna come in here and suggest Persona 3 Portable, but it looks like you've decided! Phantasy Star Portable 2 is pretty fun. Maybe I should pick it up again!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    So i have a $50 PSN card. I have decided to start with phantasy star portable 2 which is 15. The small dissidia game for 3 bucks, to see if i even like the Gameplay. Tactics: war of the lions... And one other 20 dollar game. Its between most likely tactics ogre or monster hunter.

Kingdom hearts bbs, crisis core, and both star oceans are not available digitally. Valkyria chronicles 2 is, but is currently 40 dollars.

THE JACKEL
    Monster hunter is only 10 \

THE RABBET
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Well i just checked PSN now, and monster hunter freedom unite is listed at $19.99

THE JACKEL

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

... they raised the price? okay my bad.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I wish it were still 10 bucks!

Anyways, apparently one of my friends has Valkyria chronicles 2, tactics ogre, and crisis core. So i will be borrowing those from him. In the end i feel its a good strong selection of games for me to start with!

And with the glorious price of memory sticks for the Vita, i will be holding off on it for a long while.

THE JACKEL