Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Disney Villain?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Watching her pull off those fake lashes in Rescue Rangers impacted me so much I still pull on my eyelashes to this day (although not hard enough to make them come out if they aren't loose)

Disney movies: Giving young children OCD tics since 1937

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I'll just let him do the talking.

Scar was great until furries ruined him.

He used to be my favorite but now...eck.
    I don't know what you're talking about. If you or anyone changes this, I will end you.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I'll just let him do the talking.

Scar was great until furries ruined him.

He used to be my favorite but now...eck.
    I don't know what you're talking about. If you or anyone changes this, I will end you.
    Oh fine then, he is the best besides Claud Frollo. Just don't do any google searches on him.
    I like Kung-Fu.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Watching her pull off those fake lashes in Rescue Rangers impacted me so much I still pull on my eyelashes to this day (although not hard enough to make them come out if they aren't loose)

Disney movies: Giving young children OCD tics since 1937
    You too? We.... am we?

Signature by rubah. I think.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

My favourite is the Dad from Mary Poppins.

For me, it'd definitely be Silver from Treasure Planet. He's definitely one of the deeper villains, seeiing how he's torn between obtaining the treasure horde he's dreamed of obtaining his whole life and the fatherly bond that he developed with Jim Hawkins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Dinogaby/favecartoons/Silver01.jpg

Frollo is also another one of my favourites. His character is proof that striving for righteousness and justice excessively can be a bad thing (especially when you start devaluing others' lives in the process).

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    For me, it'd definitely be Silver from Treasure Planet. He's definitely one of the deeper villains, seeiing how he's torn between obtaining the treasure horde he's dreamed of obtaining his whole life and the fatherly bond that he developed with Jim Hawkins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Dinogaby/favecartoons/Silver01.jpg

Frollo is also another one of my favourites. His character is proof that striving for righteousness and justice excessively can be a bad thing (especially when you start devaluing others' lives in the process).
    You mean to tell me there's someone else out there who not only watched, but appreciated, both The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Treasure Planet?

You are awesome.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I love Treasure Planet.

But the most underrated Disney film of all time is Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Blog Entries

Are we actually naming our favourite villains or are we really all just trying to name the obscure ones in an attempt to look cool?

If the former then my favourite is probably Scar

If the latter then Stromboli from Pinochio

He sticks a massive knife into his mouth when he eats and can take a bite out of a raw onion!
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 12-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

A favorite favorite is hard, but in no particular order

1) Cruella Deville
    2) Yzma
    3) Oogie Boogie
    4)Chernabog

I probably like Oogie Boogie the most.

I've also always liked how you never even see one of the main antagonist in Bambi.

EDIT: This reminds me I need to re-watch The Black Cauldron. I saw it when I was 6 or so, and I don't remember it. Even if it is one of "the bad ones."
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 12-01-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    EDIT: This reminds me I need to re-watch The Black Cauldron. I saw it when I was 6 or so, and I don't remember it. Even if it is one of "the bad ones."
    Funny you should mention The Black Cauldron, because I re-watched just yesterday after many, many years. And to be fair, the critique is justified. Non-existent plot, wafer thing characters, and to be completely honest, I don't remember a single piece of music from the film. It still looks good though, but it is understandable why it is considered to be one of Disney's weakest efforts. I felt like banging my head against the wall after I finished watching it.

This is honestly a difficult decision. Many of Disney's villains are memorable in their own way, perhaps the most iconic one of all being Maleficent, so choosing one isn't an easy task. As much as I enjoy the classic villains of Disney's golden and silver ages, though, I have to say that many of Disney's Renaissance villains are dear to my heart: they have epic villain songs, wonderful animation, delightful personalities, and fantastic voice acting (at least in the English and Finnish dubs). Out of all the villains Scar has probably had the biggest impact on me: not only does he have a memorably sleazy yet cunning personality (which shows in Andreas Deja's fine animation), he also accomplishes one of the most heinous acts ever committed by a Disney villain, making him interestingly enough both a pathetic and frightening antagonist, a fine combination for an animated film if you ask me. So my vote goes to Scar.

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    For me, it'd definitely be Silver from Treasure Planet. He's definitely one of the deeper villains, seeing how he's torn between obtaining the treasure horde he's dreamed of obtaining his whole life and the fatherly bond that he developed with Jim Hawkins.

I enjoyed both of these antagonists a great deal. Both TP and THOND are underrated films which need more love. Both are remarkably human and complex in their motivations; a fine character study for any thesis if you ask me. I like the ambiguity in some of their scenes, making me actually feel sorry for them at certain points and understanding the reasons they do what they do. Silver in particular was an interesting aversion to the regular villain formula as Disney not only kept the character's personality from the novel relatively intact but also expanded on the father/son dynamic between him and Jim, making him an interesting and relatable character.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Funny you should mention The Black Cauldron, because I re-watched just yesterday after many, many years. And to be fair, the critique is justified. Non-existent plot, wafer thing characters, and to be completely honest, I don't remember a single piece of music from the film. It still looks good though, but it is understandable why it is considered to be one of Disney's weakest efforts. I felt like banging my head against the wall after I finished watching it.
    It definitely has a plot; it just gets thrown in various directions because of the lengthy production time during which many people got their hands on it and changed things. I was fond of Taran's and especially Gurgi's character development, and the witches were awesome characters. I wish there'd been a more epic showndown with the Horned King, but at least he was a sufficiently creepy and majestic antagonist (and that voice didn't hurt either...). I feel Disney should use the Horned King more, as both he and TBC aren't that disappointing in my opinion.

As for the music, it's unfortunate that it's not quite as memorable as many other Disney films despite having the top notch composer Elmer Bernstein. When I first saw the film years ago, the only cue that I recalled vividly was the ominous Horned King theme. When I listened to the soundtrack and saw the film over the following years, it became apparent that the score does have multiple themes which are cleverly orchestrated and interwoven into the film's narrative, but take some time to imprint on one's mind. It's a shame, really, because the score isn't bad; it's composed by one of the old masters of film composing, after all, but for whatever reason Bernstein didn't quite create as memorable score as a Disney film requires. Still, it's a nice and suitably creepy effort with a unique, complex personality behind its notes.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Whoa there, spambot. If you're gonna quote me word for word at least remember to include the link to the Youtube vid.

EDIT: Post is irrelevant now that the spambot is gone, so let me add something else. Ummm, villains. Prince John the Phony King of England (Robin Hood) was pretty great.
    Last edited by Pike; 12-04-2011 at 01:45 AM.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Treasure planet is the shiz.

It gets a pineco.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Walt Disney..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..