Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I want you to play NetHack

Here are some more tips that could have helped you evade your doom in this scenario:
    • Identify identify. The scroll of identify is the cheapest scroll in the game by a long shot. Its base price is 20z and the next cheapest scroll is 50z, which means you can easily identify it in a shop by trying to buy or sell it and noting the price. Any scrolls with a price tag in the 10-30 range are assuredly identify. Whatever you do, don't randomly read through your scrolls looking for a particular one!
    • [C]all items that you have information on. A good example is using the call command on that scroll of identify once you price id it in a shop. The great thing about [C]all is that the next time you come across the same item, it will still be called whatever you called it. Absolutely essential in informal identification.
    • That was a magic lamp! You didn't need to bother with formal identification. There are only two types of lamp in the game, oil and magic. Oil lamps have a base price of 10z while magic lamps have a base price of 50z. Price identification is all you need.
    • Don't set off the watch in Minetown until you are absolutely sure you can deal with them. Better yet, get your pet to take care of them one by one so you don't have to worry about them anymore.
    • Support your local church. Minetown has a guaranteed altar and priest. #chat him up and make donations of 400z x your experience level for points of permanent intrinsic protection. Get that AC down for good.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I am doing an interesting experiment.

I have just installed a NetHack app on my brother's Android tablet. I want to see if he can pick it up and learn to play, as well. Sure beats all the silly apps he has right now, after all.

So have you guys ascended yet?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I would have posted if I had. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play today.

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/N/Ne...5749.nh343.txt

Whoops! I guess I shouldn't have been playing at work.