Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want you to play NetHack

Blog Entries

I had found a wand which unleashed a wall-destroying blast, and I attempted to zap the shopkeep, but I missed and he did not.

Time to play some more.

How are you liking it so far, Lynx? Do you feel like you are getting into it? Anything consistently holding you back? Did my tips help you at all?

A couple more tips for all one of you playing:
    • Take care of your pet. It can really help you out. Your starting pets start out very weak, but are able to level up and grow. Unlike you, they do not level up based on experience points, but get stronger with every kill they make, regardless of how petty. Since the monsters in the dungeons are spawned based on your level, one nice starting strategy for the first couple of levels is to let your pet do all of the work and stay at a low level until it is powerful. You will know it has gotten powerful when it starts being referred to as a "Large" cat or dog.
    • Use your pet for more than just fighting. Did you ever notice that your pet will only reluctantly walk over a cursed item? You can use that to your advantage. Also, notice that shopkeepers don't really pay attention to your pet...

Blog Entries

I am taking the game very slowly, Necronopticous; it is probably noted that I have only made it, what, three or four floors down. I have begun experimenting with using a crossbow. The highlight of its usage has been the shooting of my pet. I think if I #pray now, someone is going to kill me. I am slowly getting the hang of it, and find it entertaining. My biggest obstacle is how it is turn-based; this is great for planning, but if you are like me and spam 6 to walk right, you are going to be attacked unawares and pissed off for forgetting to take your time. I hate taking my time; I must amend.

I recently drank from a fountain which unleashed a crowd of water moccasins.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm really diggin' the enthusiasm right now, Necro. I had resigned myself to never even try attempting it when MILF practically shat himself with delight after revealing that you had finally beaten it, but your attitude right now, sir, has convinced me to give it a try!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Genius Lynx View Post
    I am taking the game very slowly, Necronopticous; it is probably noted that I have only made it, what, three or four floors down. I have begun experimenting with using a crossbow. The highlight of its usage has been the shooting of my pet. I think if I #pray now, someone is going to kill me. I am slowly getting the hang of it, and find it entertaining. My biggest obstacle is how it is turn-based; this is great for planning, but if you are like me and spam 6 to walk right, you are going to be attacked unawares and pissed off for forgetting to take your time. I hate taking my time; I must amend.

This kind of thing is why I keep losing (last death was to the snakes actually). Every time I die and figure out a particular problem, my next playthrough throws something completely different at me randomly. Like being a barbarian that kicks down doors that kicks down the shopkeeper's door.

It's a bad idea, don't do it.

It's like the game knows what tricks you've already learned, using your past experiences against you.

Blog Entries

I love kicking in doors; there is no other way to open them now, in my mind.

Losing is already the foregone conclusion in my mind; exactly how is up for determination.

My biggest obstacle is how it is turn-based; this is great for planning, but if you are like me and spam 6 to walk right, you are going to be attacked unawares and pissed off for forgetting to take your time. I hate taking my time; I must amend.
    Spamming a movement key is almost never a good idea, but that doesn't mean you have to move slowly. Try using the 5 key on your numpad before pressing in a direction to fast travel in that direction (or traverse an entire hallway). Also, for travelling through locations you have already explored, use fast travel by pressing the _ key (and quickly jump your cursor to a dungeon feature like stairs by following it with the character associated with that dungeon feature). For example, in just three keystrokes: _>, you are fast travelling to the downstairs.

Ah, yes. The old water moccasin death.

Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    I'm really diggin' the enthusiasm right now, Necro. I had resigned myself to never even try attempting it when MILF practically shat himself with delight after revealing that you had finally beaten it, but your attitude right now, sir, has convinced me to give it a try!
    Awesome! Post your nethack.alt.org name so we can keep track of you. Let me know if you feel like you've hit a wall and I'll try to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    It's like the game knows what tricks you've already learned, using your past experiences against you.
    NetHack wants to see you fail, but as long as you learn something each time, each death is just a small step toward ascension. There are tons of silly deaths at the beginning, and slightly less than tons later on. Keep on trucking.
    Last edited by Necronopticous; 12-16-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

G13

I feel like I'm a part of a team and that I may actually understand what the crap it is I'm doing. :shiny:

First order of business: Go get yourself killed a couple dozen times.

FFXIV Character

I've had most luck as barbarian and samurai. Furthest I've gotten is 5 floors I think, which seems terrible to me. Terrible luck with the gnomish mines. Rogue has been horrible.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'll look into this if I can tear myself away from everything else I'm playing.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I've had most luck as barbarian and samurai. Furthest I've gotten is 5 floors I think, which seems terrible to me. Terrible luck with the gnomish mines. Rogue has been horrible.
    Are you playing on nethack.alt.org? Link us to your profile! Barbarian is a good starting class, but Lawful Dwarven Valkyrie is even better. It's a good idea to skip the mines until you have a light source and some decent armor class. Sokoban is a much better first destination, especially if you are playing a Lawful Valkyrie since you pass right by Delphi and all of its wonderful fountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I'll look into this if I can tear myself away from everything else I'm playing.
    This is better than everything else you're playing. This is what you need.

FFXIV Character

no, i haven't been playing at nethack.alt.org