Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me some PSP games

Default Recommend me some PSP games

So with the pending release of the Vita, I ended up buying a PSP yesterday for $75. I know there is a large number of good games, and I'd like to hear some of your top recommendations. If I can download the game off the PSN it'd be best, because then if I eventually get a Vita it will transfer over.

My current list of games I have searched through and am interested by:
    Final Fantasy Crisis Core
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    Dissidia
    Duodecim
    Both Star Oceans
    Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2 (or both?)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    One of the Monster Hunter games (whichever you guys say is the best, unless they are all worth getting)
    Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

I know this is probably a good list, but any recommendations as to NOT get from this list, or that trump games on this list... or just comments on games from my list would be helpful!

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Do not buy bloodlines. It honestly has almost no story and has only about 3 hours of gameplay, after which you will spend your time in 5 very small walled off areas looking for coins. not a very good game.

kh bbs is good
    ff cc
    tactics war of the lions
    little big planet psp
    gpsp (psp signed gba emulator)
    monster hunter freedom unite (way hard game)

THE RABBET
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Ff type o isn't out yet
    ok so no assassins creed.

so should i only get monster hunter freedom unite, or should i get monster hunter freedom 2 as well.

THE JACKEL

Articles
    Blog Entries

I dont know, I have only tried freedom unite.
    other games that are good are
    Dissidia duodecim (includes both games)
    secret agent clank
    warriors orochi
    warriors orochi 2 (actually bigger than the xbox 360 version)
    lame craft signed download.

THE RABBET

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, it has "Symphony of the Night" included (and this time you can play with Maria too)..

and "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" I`ve tried to get this one but is difficult to find..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Crisis Core's a great game, and despite its flaws (and there are a few), I recommend it for everyone.

It has a fair replay value, but the thing that sucks about that is that you can't skip the cutscenes or any dialog in them, and there are a ton of cutscenes in that game, so while you're playing through again, don't be surprised if you find yourself just walking off and doing something else while a cutscene going. It's seriously that bad.

The story's also pretty linear, and there never seems to be a good, designated time to do any side quests; you pretty much judge for yourself and just abruptly stop doing whatever the story has you doing so that you can take care of any side quests. There's really only one side quest, and it's just 300 missions, and I guarantee you: it takes longer to complete those missions than it does to go through the story in Crisis Core, and most of them are honestly very boring, but the rewards from completing them are incredible.

Oh, and the game's original score is just bad.

Those are the heaviest flaws I can think of, but overall, I think the pros of Crisis Core definitely outweigh the cons, and it's a great game. Get it.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I`d recommend Crisis Core only if you are a crazed and obsessed FF7 fan..
    I really liked FF7 but even with that I just could stomach the game till I reached Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to second black orbs recommendation that you should only play Crisis Core if you love FFVII shamelessly and actually like the Compilation. Its story is mostly a re-hash of VII's plot minus AVALANCHE and plus one of the wost villains to ever appear in a game with Final Fantasy in the title. The gameplay is also pretty boring compared to other action RPGs. Unless you're on hard mode, the game's main story is pathetically easy. I would rent it, or only buy it if its under $5 and used.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is really good. Its only faults is some slow down with some of the more grand special attacks, they removed the random spell casting quotes, and sadly a bulk of the best items and all the special equipment for the two new classes can only be obtained by playing with someone else in multiplayer mode. Everything else is awesome. The new translation, the animated cutscenes, and new scenarios are all really awesome.

Dissidia, get Duodecim. As HP noted, it comes with the entire story from Dissidia 1. In fact Duodecim is pretty much just a remake of the first game with new interface, rebalancing, and a new prologue with all the new characters starring in it. The majority of the game is the original Dissidia. The only thing I would warn about Dissidia is hat its plot is ridiculous, some characters seem to be changed from their original game incarnations. Its the shameless fanservice that is the real draw of the game, its pretty cool seeing all the references and in-jokes.

I will also second KH: Birth By Sleep, it is easily the best entry in the franchise in both story and gameplay. You don't need to have any pre-knowledge of the rest of the franchise to enjoy it as well.

Persona 3 Portable: If you've played the original P3, this game offers the new female MC mode which is pretty different from the original game with new characters and social links (plot is the same though). It also tries to merge elements from both P3 and P4, while it certainly doesn't have P3FES's solid gameplay mechanics, nor P4's robust social link/normal life gameplay mechanics, it does an outstanding job considering the PSPs limitations. If you haven't played P3 or P4, pick this bad boy up because I still consider it to be one of the best JRPGs released in the last five years, and probably the best in the last decade.

Beyond that, I can't say much, I don't own too many PSP games because there are not many that appeal to me (hell two of my recommendations are ports), and I still haven't even started Peace Walker and Tactics Ogre so I can't say for sure on those. Of anything, I would take advantage of the PSP's ability to download old PS1 hits and play them portable. Most of my "new" games I've picked up for the PSP have been Squaresoft's old hits from the PS1 days.

My only hold up with kingdom hearts is that i bought both for the ps2 expecting to really get into it but only made it about halfway through the first one before i got bored. Can i enjoy it without knowledge of the stories. And on that note, is it worth playing KH 2 having never finished the first?

THE JACKEL

Both God of War games.
    Burnout
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker

Great idea to buy only digital content by the way. Saves you some money when you switch to Vita.

Articles
    Blog Entries

the vita is doing a umd to data thing

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    My only hold up with kingdom hearts is that i bought both for the ps2 expecting to really get into it but only made it about halfway through the first one before i got bored. Can i enjoy it without knowledge of the stories. And on that note, is it worth playing KH 2 having never finished the first?

THE JACKEL
    I'm probably not the right person to ask this, simply because I feel the console games are the weaker entries in the series. The better writing and more creative gameplay is in the handhelds imho. No, you don't need any pre-knowledge of the rest of the series to understand the plot. BBS does answer some long terms questions in the series, but they are not important to BBS plot. Honestly, BBS is pretty much a standalone title in the series since its a prequel to the main series.

I guess my question is to ask what you didn't care about KH to begin with, then I can answer whether it will work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    the vita is doing a umd to data thing
    Yes, but you are still going to have to pay a small fee to do that, or so the rumors say.

I have the god of war games for the ps3 in the compilation... Platinumed both even! Lol

I think the Gameplay just stagnated and the story just didn't capture me. The characters weren't bad but i wouldn't say i loved them either. That and probably just the high expectations from so many people praising the series.

And yes, they have a umd conversion but it will cost money for the digital copy even if you have the umd. Better off getting the digital version if i can! It also keeps me hopeful that some of the games that aren't on the PSN will be when the vita is released.

THE JACKEL