View Poll Results: Which version of Ys I&2 should I play?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turbografx CD / PC-Engine (Via Wii's Virtual Console)

0 0%
  • Legacy of Ys: Books 1 and 2 (DS)

0 0%
  • Ys I and II Chronicles (PSP)

1 50.00%
  • None of them! Ys sucks!

1 50.00%

Thread: Which versions of the Ys games should I play?

Blog Entries

Default Which versions of the Ys games should I play?

I recently noticed that the Ys series exists, and have decided to play them! Since they all are apparently part of the same continuity, and star the same character, I've decided I want to play them in order of release, but as the Ys series is apparently famous for, there are huge amounts of versions of each game.

Originally I was set on playing this way: PC Engine Versions of Ys 1&2, and then Ys IV Mask of the Sun on SNES rather than the Ys IV that appeared on the PC Engine, since it's apparently a totally different game and is non-canon. After that, I wasn't sure. Either Ys V if an English version became available, or Ys III on either the PC Engine or SNES. Possibly PC Engine YS IV, with a VA Translation guide for the parts Rom-Hackers couldn't translate. I was pretty set on the SNES version since I didn't really like what I heard of its VA on the PC Engine. But now I recently heard that the new version of Ys III on the PSP replaces all previous versions of Ys III in canon, and there are new versions of Ys IV, too. It makes me think that maybe I should play the new remakes instead of the originals if I actually have a desire to follow canon in some way.

Of course, I don't have a lot of money to be throwing around on these new remakes, so I doubt I'd actually change my plans very much. But for fans of the series who post here, which versions of the games do you think I should play? I already know that I'll be playing Ys I first, so I'll just post a poll up on the versions of the game I'm most likely to play between the DS, PSP, and PC Engine versions of the game. I'd like opinions on all entries of the series and their multiple versions, though. =)

Y's is absolutely amazing. Can't believe someone voted that it sucks...SHAME ON YOU!

I just started the Y's series tbh and my starting point for the games were Y's 7. Hands down one of the most impressive & addicting ARPG titles I have played in years. I started Y's 1&2, but didn't finish it due to the fact that I was still romping my way thru 7. I haven't played any of the other versions, but the PSP ones are pretty good. If you get the chance to, make sure to pick up Y's 7.

Blog Entries

I'll get to Ys 7 with time. I'd at least like to beat one of the older ones first, though! I'm actually playing the first one on PC Engine right now. Just rescued Feena.

I'm the one who voted that it sucks, by the way. I voted just so that it'd be easier to see the results for me. :P

Edit: Wowzerz, I'm already at Darm Tower. This game sure is short! I think I might actually end up playing the remakes just to see how they decided to flesh out the characters from the original versions. So I'll probably actually play both the originals and the remakes if I don't burn myself out on all this Ys action. :P
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 11-30-2011 at 01:44 AM.