Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Republicans! Ahhhh!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I am sort of interested in seeing Romney win the nominee just to see how quickly his veneer of fundieness falls away as he then tries to cater to people who aren't so retarded.

Gingrich is a pompous, self-important blowhard better suited for a Fox News talk show than a political position.

Agreed on both counts. However Gingrich somehow manages to sound half-convincing when talking, which is more than I can say for most of the other contenders.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

When people reject the politician with the least offensive policies because they aren't "grounded in reality," it really leaves me with that picking between a giant douche and a turd sandwich sadness. Ron Paul is insane, but every other politician I have seen that has half a chance in half a hell is a monumental pile of trout. Emphasis on monumental.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Meanwhile I'm sitting here in Jon Huntsman's camp and I know he doesn't have a chance in all hell

Seriously though none of the frontrunners are at all good for the GOP. Bachmann is insane even by their standards. Perry's an imbecile. Romney is seen as a John Kerry-tier flip-flopper, akin to Obama as a SOSHULIST, and viciously gutted education in MA, but probably the best of the major candidates because his attitude towards undocumented immigrants wasn't atrocious and when he tried to bring back the death penalty he actually wanted to include rigorous evidential standards. Paul's insane, but not bad for the reasons Wes mentioned. He has no chance. Cain was a darling for a very short time but he's not only been dogged by allegations of wrongdoing, he's shot himself in the foot in handling them, to the point that even Republicans are generally finding him a bit skeezy.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Herman Cain Campaign Ad: The Economy

Also his 9-9-9 tax plan based from SimCity.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    I don't give a tit what a candidate believes as long as they don't push their beliefs on me. Which Ron Paul doesn't. Last I read on the abortion issue, Ron Paul feels it should be left to the states.
    While I find some of the positions Ron Paul takes laughable and would almost certainly never vote for him because of his stance on some issues and the role government should play in our lives, what Shlup said combined with his general willingness to say exactly how he feels about everything at least makes me like the man.
    I agree. Ron Paul is a crazy old man, but at least he speaks his mind and you know there's no bulltrout. He deserves respect for that.

If I were a Republican, I'd vote for Huntsman. He is the most reasonable candidate they have. So of course he'll lose by a wide margin. I hate that they all have to pretend to be on the far right to win the primary, and then pretend to be in the middle to win the election.

I'd lol if they pick Cain. Not if they pick Perry, because they've done that before.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

So am I the only one who thought this wasn't supposed to be a serious thread?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh and I guess I completely forgot about Gingrich He's possibly their best bet right now, which says all you need to know.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

what i'm getting here is 4 moar years of blarack obama because your republic party is going to nominate their version of john kerry

let me guess: his (it sure as hell won't be a woman) platform will be
    'at least i ain't black' - you just watch.

voting for an independent??? might as well hand obama a victoly.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

John Kerry was boring but sane. These fools are lunatics, racists, sexists, homophobes and idiots. You can't really compare the two.

I personally wish that Cain had stayed in the race. He had ZERO chance of winning and he knew it too. Which makes laughing at him so much more enjoyable than say, John McCain who had a frighteningly good shot at being President. And Cain gave Stewart and Colbert a lot of material to work with which I appreciate.

John Kerry was supposed to lose in 2004. It was an insanely brilliant political move, if you think about it. The Democrats deliberately put up a weak candidate and hand the victory to the Republicans so they can be allowed preside over two increasingly unpopular wars and an economy that everyone knew was going to fail... during a midterm election. The Democrats then take the house and the senate and then they put up a really charismatic, powerhouse of a candidate while the Republicans are left with nothing but farting old men and Mormons.

Winning in '04 would have been the dumbest, most short sighted political move possible for the Dems. Inheriting a congress controlled entirely by Republicans, along Bush's wars and ailing economy would have simply made them unpopular lame ducks and they would certainly not be winning anything in 2012.

Edit: Also, nothing about John Kerry was sane. Nothing about any Democrat is even remotely sane. Hell, nothing about the political system in general is sane.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 12-04-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

You give the Democrats way too much credit. They couldn't coordinate their way out of a paper bag.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ron Paul is generally a straight shooter, but "leave it to the states" on abortion specifically means overturning Roe v Wade, which probably would mean a constitutional amendment. What Paul is saying there isn't exactly code (like Bush talking about Dred Scott in a debate) but it's a well staked out opinion and strongly pro-life, especially for someone as obsessed wih the constitution as Paul is.

Anyway, Gingrich doing well is amusing. I grew up with him as my Congressman, including when he was Speaker. He's a head case. Although I guess if Gingrich wins the presidency, I'll be able to say I've met a president.