Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Continues to dominate the PSN charts!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is something terribly wrong with a company that looks at this and doesn't decide to make games of a similar calibre.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nobody hardly ever posts hard numbers for downloaded titles. Maybe because they really don't sell all that much on PSN? Although I do know Sony reported when FFVII on PSOne Classics sold over 100,000. That's all I can remember, though.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Just curious how much being #1 actually means. It's all well and good to be at the top, but if that only means moving 1000 copies a week I don't think it qualifies as a market force.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Stiltzquin View Post
    There is something terribly wrong with a company that looks at this and doesn't decide to make games of a similar calibre.
    To be fair to SE (did I just write that?), it's not like it's easy to make games as good or as memorable as some of the Square classics. Everyone would be doing it and would have done it already. Player taste is different these days too. What flew back then might not necessarily fly now. It really just seems like SE struggle when putting together complete, quality games these days.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 01-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't agree at all that player taste is different these days. There are plenty of people that like movies that were popular way before they were even born. Don't see why it can't be the same for games.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I don't agree at all that player taste is different these days. There are plenty of people that like movies that were popular way before they were even born. Don't see why it can't be the same for games.
    It isn't about taste, it is about know and how of crafting full spec 3D FF , I mean looking at their flagships of 3D FF games we have 2 MMOs(11/14), MMO single player(12), 2 critical reactions(13/13-2). Probably they don't know how to make full spec 3D FF within short dev cycle.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Oh there are most definitely people who like older game design today, me among them. I would play the absolute hell out of, like ShinGundin just said, a fully realized current-gen FF game. Though it came out like six years ago, Dragon Quest 8 was my own and a lot of other players' favourite PS2 game. If a company can translate everything that used to make their old games good into a current-gen game, without cutting corners, then they've done a good thing. Dark Souls, for instance, is a great game that takes after something like the NES Castlevanias. Not many people will criticize DS for feeling old, but FromSoftware did a magnificent job taking a design mentality from a long time ago and using modern tech to make something that is seamless to younger gamers and "the game I dreamed about being made when I was holding a two-button NES controller as a child" to older ones.

But that said, I also think a vast number of new gamers (let's say, 10-year-olds getting their first XBox or PS3) have become accustomed to "newer" style games. It's perfectly normal and fine, of course. Things that were good will still be good, but trends shift and suddenly a giant from a previous era is stumbling along trying to adapt and please the next generation of a demographic they used to have by the throat. SE more than likely know that they don't have the same talent on payroll as they used to, but they're doing what they can within the constraints of their situation.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 01-24-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flying arrow
    Oh there are most definitely people who like older game design today, me among them. I would play the absolute hell out of, like ShinGundin just said, a fully realized current-gen FF game. Though it came out like six years ago, Dragon Quest 8 was my own and a lot of other players' favourite PS2 game. If a company can translate everything that used to make their old games good into a current-gen game, without cutting corners, then they've done a good thing. Dark Souls, for instance, is a great game that takes after something like the NES Castlevanias. Not many people will criticize DS for feeling old, but FromSoftware did a magnificent job taking a design mentality from a long time ago and using modern tech to make something that is seamless to younger gamers and "the game I dreamed about being made when I was holding a two-button NES controller as a child" to older ones.

But that said, I also think a vast number of new gamers (let's say, 10-year-olds getting their first XBox or PS3) have become accustomed to "newer" style games. It's perfectly normal and fine, of course. Things that were good will still be good, but trends shift and suddenly a giant from a previous era is stumbling along trying to adapt and please the next generation of a demographic they used to have by the throat. SE more than likely know that they don't have the same talent on payroll as they used to, but they're doing what they can within the constraints of their situation.
    YES that's what I loved so much about Dragon Quest VIII and Demon's Souls after it, it's an NES game fully rendered in modern graphics with absolutely no concern whatsoever about modern game design.

Also, you spelled favorite wrong.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

YES that's what I loved so much about Dragon Quest VIII and Demon's Souls after it, it's an NES game fully rendered in modern graphics with absolutely no concern whatsoever about modern game design.
    I don't necessarily think there's no concern for modern design in those games - I just think they are perfect mixes of the concept of old games and the slick playability and incredible presentation of modern ones. But if you mean that the developers of both games avoided dummying their products with me-too mechanics to fit in with the market, then yeah I totally agree with you. DQVIII and the D-Soulses are just... amazing.

No you.

Back on topic: Imagine FFIV or V done up with the same treatment as DQVIII? It would be glorious. XII actually did a good job bringing back the old school sense of adventure for me, which is partially why it's one of my favourite games in the series. But I'd really like to see a light-hearted job-system game done up in HD with the NES/SNES aesthetic though.

Basically I'm asking for a FFV HD remake. Is that so wrong.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 01-26-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

I don't necessarily think there's no concern for modern design in those games - I just think they are perfect mixes of the concept of old games and the slick playability and incredible presentation of modern ones. But if you mean that the developers of both games avoided dummying their products with me-too mechanics to fit in with the market, then yeah I totally agree with you. DQVIII and the D-Soulses are just... amazing.

No you.

Back on topic: Imagine FFIV or V done up with the same treatment as DQVIII? It would be glorious. XII actually did a good job bringing back the old school sense of adventure for me, which is partially why it's one of my favourite games in the series. But I'd really like to see a light-hearted job-system game done up in HD with the NES/SNES aesthetic though.

Basically I'm asking for a FFV HD remake. Is that so wrong.
    FF12 was more of "dungeon crawler" than being an adventure game, or did we forget randomize treasures, loot, lack of Gil drops, the feel of walking through endless dungeons?

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    or did we forget randomize treasures, loot, lack of Gil drops, the feel of walking through endless dungeons?
    No, but I keep trying.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    FF12 was more of "dungeon crawler" than being an adventure game, or did we forget randomize treasures, loot, lack of Gil drops, the feel of walking through endless dungeons?
    I didn't forget anything - I meant what I said.

January sales are in! Square Enix reclaims all 5 top spots for PSone classics and re-emerges in the PS Store's PSP catalog!

January 2012
    PSone Classics
    1) Final Fantasy VII
    2) Final Fantasy VI
    3) Final Fantasy Origins
    4) Chrono Cross
    5) Final Fantasy IX

Digital PSP
    4) Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions

Contributions

I'm amazed that FFVII still sells like this. I mean, die-hards likely already have the game and all of the merch, so who is still buying it? Must be word of mouth still. I wonder what all the new players think of it.

FYI, I don't myself have it, but if I pick up a PSP one of these days my first order of business will be to grab V-IX and Tactics off the store.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    I'm amazed that FFVII still sells like this. I mean, die-hards likely already have the game and all of the merch, so who is still buying it? Must be word of mouth still. I wonder what all the new players think of it.
    Yes, but it is only competing against other PS1 classics. I wouldn't be surprised if #1 spot was only like 100 copies.