Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smash Bros. Equivalent Being Released for PS3

Articles
    Blog Entries

On charm and nostalgia levels, leaving out Spyro and Crash is like if Mario and Link weren't in SSB64. Having the guy from Medieval almost makes up for it...

And since they've gone multiplatform on the roster, I would've liked to see more actual fighting characters join, especially since Ed Boon is a PlayStation fan. Tekken was a big one to get though, so props on that.

Kain and Raziel would've been incredible.

Also, I played a lot of PS3 this gen but I can understand Roogle's surprise. I think the PlayStation community is really different than what it was 10 years ago.

Or maybe just their expectations are...

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale will be released in 12 days.

The 20 character roster is confirmed to be the final on-disc roster. They did confirm downloadable content such as characters and stages though. Polygon Man is also confirmed to be the final boss.

Also, here's a video of the game intro. Really epic stuff, if you ask me (especially the music).

Default Update Regarding DLC

Playstation Blog has confirmed that Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett Graves from Starhawk as downloadable playable characters. They'll be free for the first two weeks they're made available, after which you'll have to pay for them.

Kat:

Emmett Graves:

Also, if you aren't familiar with them, they're both first party characters to Sony so even though they aren't Crash and Spyro, I'd still say their inclusion (especially Kat, who was one of the top 10 most requested characters) is sensible and fair.

...wow, I just realized how weird it is that I'm the one that's always updating this thread and I'm (from what I've seen on the forums) the most hyped one on EoFF for this when I'm first and foremost a Nintendo fan. I don't even own a PS3 so I won't even be able to play the game myself. I guess the lack of SSB4 information has had me satiating my appetite on this game in the meantime. That and it's about time that other companies have released Smash Bros. like games (in terms of them being free for all mascot fighting games).

It's too bad Microsoft themselves said they want to create new kinds of games, and thus, don't plan on making a Smash Bros. like game with their characters. (Blinx the Cat!!)

The game is in stores now.
    Is that your final answer?

Blog Entries

...aaand, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the character rooster and won't be getting the game for that reason.

I can understand KOS-MOS not being in the game, but the lack of Crash and Soul Reaver characters is just stupid.

...I also dislike the idea of DLC characters for this kind of game tbh.

Perhaps if this game sells well, then they'll make a sequel with those characters.

And the game is described as a mixture of Super Smash Bros. and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, in terms of the combo styles.
    Is that your final answer?

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    I can understand KOS-MOS not being in the game, but the lack of Crash and Soul Reaver characters is just stupid.
    Wow. Really? smurf that.

...not much optimism about this game, huh?

I haven't played the game at all yet (seeing how I don't even own a PS3), but hopefully sometime during the winter holidays I'll be able to go to my friend's house, try it out, and give my impressions on the game.

Also, I should probably tell you guys that you can get the DLC for free during the first two weeks even if you don't have the game. It might be a good idea to get it for free during then, if ever you decide to get the game used or later on. You can always delete the free DLC later, but you can't get it for free later on.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So much of these games fun are based off me playing characters I grew up with. The lineup of this title doesn't do that for me.

I know where you're coming from, trust me. I was looking forward to this game so much because I though it would be Sony's epic revival of Crash in HD, and he's nowhere to be seen. He's also the character that most people think of first when they think of mascots for Sony (moreso than Kratos and Sackboy, who are the current mascots for this generation). Having him omitted (along with many other iconic characters on Playstation, but Crash was the most popular and the most requested character for this game) is just as messed up and wrong as omitting Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

...I still want to try out the game at least and see what Sony's take on free-for-all fighting games is like. Sure, the characters aren't as iconic as Nintendo, Capcom, or Sega's, but I always find it fun playing games with characters from different universes crossing over and interacting, even if I'm not familiar with them. It's actually thanks to Smash Bros. and the characters I were unfamiliar with that I got into game series like Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Earthbound/Mother, and Star Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    ...aaand, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the character rooster and won't be getting the game for that reason.

...I also dislike the idea of DLC characters for this kind of game tbh.
    I haven't actually heard of Soul Reaver until I saw a few request for characters from it for this game.

I completely agree with Crash, though. Most people blame Activision for Crash not being in, due to them being the current owners of them now. Universal owned Crash, they ended up being fused with Vivendi Games/Vicarious Visions, then Activision bought the rights to those companies. At least, that's how I think it went.

I find it interesting that you're against DLC for this game, especially since quite a few people complained that Super Smash Bros. Brawl didn't have any DLC characters (though that's technically impossible due to the Wii's Flash based memory). I'm interested in hearing your reasoning why. I get personally preferring all characters being available in the game day one since it's more of a complete package that way and it doesn't feel like an incomplete product is being released, but the way they're releasing DLC for this game is hardly as bad as what other companies do (especially the free for first two weeks part and it not being on-disc DLC).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    I find it interesting that you're against DLC for this game, especially since quite a few people complained that Super Smash Bros. Brawl didn't have any DLC characters (though that's technically impossible due to the Wii's Flash based memory). I'm interested in hearing your reasoning why. I get personally preferring all characters being available in the game day one since it's more of a complete package that way and it doesn't feel like an incomplete product is being released, but the way they're releasing DLC for this game is hardly as bad as what other companies do (especially the free for first two weeks part and it not being on-disc DLC).
    Well, I'm only against it if it's not free. And it's for the same reason I dislike there being 3 DLC characters in Continuum Shift. It's basically just tournament related, really. If the game sees competitive play, you more or less "have to" get all the DLC characters, or you will lose tournament matches because you're up against a character you know nothing about. And buying all 3 DLC characters in Continuum Shift cost like... half the game itself. If you really wanna be competitive with a game, I guess it's not all that much money in the long run, but still... I think every game that is likely to see competitive play should have all characters available inside the game itself, so every competitive player won't have to get every single DLC character.

That's an interesting take on it. Though I feel that compared to all the other DLC releasing plans that other games do, this one is quite good.

Let's just hope that Kat and Emett Graves aren't the last DLC characters.

Default Update and Game Impressions

Alright, I just played this game at my friend's place, and I have to say it's a lot of fun.

I'll start off with the most asked question: yes, it feels quite a bit like Smash Bros, especially with the movement, dodge rolling, air dodging, double jumping, and pressing the same button with different directions yielding different. Though the controls are slightly different, like how you can't just attack to pick up items (that's R1's function) and how throws are done with the right analog stick (and I found them a lot harder to successfully do than in Smash Bros). With most characters, Square attacks are melee attacks, Triangle attacks are projectiles, and Circle attacks are special property attacks (like shields and counters).

Sly Cooper and Dante were the characters I wanted to try out first. Sly Cooper was a lot more about mind games and traps rather than speed. I suppose I was decent with him, but I wasn't able to make effective use of his traps and counters. Dante was pretty awesome with swift swordplay and guns. He also has air dashes and a counter. Cole (good) was probably the character I was best with, even though I thought he'd be quite complicated. He's good good range with his melee attacks and the melee combos themselves are quite long. His lightning moves give him lots of ranged options and have quite a lot of stun, which can lead into combos, and he has a projectile absorber that gives him AP when hit by enemy projectiles, instead of the other way around. I especially like his level 2 special (freezing everything in front of him, forming a huge ice wall). It's kind of slow, but the range it covers is ridiculous, making getting 3 kills really easy. Sackboy was rather short ranged, but he had a lot of trap moves and he also has a rocket that's both an attack and an effective way to move around. Using him required quite a bit of strategy, and just wildly attacking with him is hardly effective (I still think I did decently with him). Spike I was quite awesome with. He has twin clubs, which are fast and give him quite a long melee range. He's got a lot of tools at his disposal as well like the banana-rang and even summonable monkeys that attack opponents. His level 1 special (the net) is quite awesome. Even though it's short ranged, it's fast and its range is deceptively larger than you'd expect. Toro is quite short ranged, but he has quite a lot of charging attacks (attacks where he moves in and attacks at the same time, not the powering up kind of charging) in ninja form to make up for it. That's the form I used the most, since the other two forms didn't have many attacks that made up for his short range. He does pull out weapons for some of his melee attacks though, like brooms and hammers, which help his range problems a little. Overall, I think I was decent with him but I wasn't able to utilize him to his fullest. Sir Daniel has quite a large variety of attacks from sword slashes to boomerang axes to charging in with his shield. I think I was quite good with him, but not Cole or Spike good seeing how his specials weren't the best at racking kills.

The levels and their hazard weren't as bad as I thought. Rather than being able to be killed from hazards, you just lose AP. It's bad, but it's not going to cost you the match most of the time, unless you really don't make an effort to avoid them. And most of them are easy to see coming, especially missiles which show crosshairs before hitting.

The special system was quite weird at first, especially since there's no health to worry about and instead you spend more time worrying about your opponent's special meters and when they're going to use their specials. Though at the same time, it gives off a thrilling feeling. There's a big feeling of relief when your opponent misses their special, a big feeling of disappointment when you miss performing your own special, and a big feeling of fear once your opponent reaches their level 3 (which I was unable to do since 3 minutes matches weren't long enough for me to reach level 3. It was my first time playing the game after all). Landing a level 1 special on multiple opponents has got to be one of the most satisfying things to do in this game.

Overall, I found the game to be really fun. Sure, the characters aren't as iconic as Smash Bros. and the special system feels weird at first, but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to get into. I practically forgot about wanting Crash and Spyro in this game and not being heavily familiar with the character cast because of how fun and addicting the gameplay was.

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post

Dante was pretty awesome with swift swordplay and guns. He also has air dashes and a counter. Cole (good) was probably the character I was best with, even though I thought he'd be quite complicated. He's good good range with his melee attacks and the melee combos themselves are quite long.
    I liked both cole and dante too....but I've been raising fat princess up in ranks too. Only thing is figuring where you have to be/how close opponent's have to be to do certain specials Like fat princess' 2nd special too..

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    So much of these games fun are based off me playing characters I grew up with. The lineup of this title doesn't do that for me.
    \They should have had 30 characters...too small of a roster.