Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smash Bros. Equivalent Being Released for PS3

Default Smash Bros. Equivalent Being Released for PS3

Has anyone heard of the new Smash Bros-like game for PS3 that has Sony characters?

Yeah, there hasn't really been much proof of the game actually existing. In fact, the only pictures that directly have to do with the game is the logo above me and this picture of Sweet Tooth.

Details can be found here.

Playable characters (there'll be around 20) include Colonel Mael Radec, Kratos, Parappa, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Sweet Tooth, and Fat Princess currently.

So assuming this isn't fake (which it might be, seeing how only that site has new info on it), what do you think so far?

I'm pretty interested in the specials system that they have, seeing how it consists of a three part meter and "Final Smashes" are only usable when all three sections of the meter are full. Having a 20 character roster is a bit... small. I'm hoping that Jak, Ratchet, and Sackboy will be included. I'm hoping that they'll include Crash Bandicoot as well, since he was practically the mascot for Sony back in the day, but given his situation now it'll be hard. They also said that the staff themselves don't know the full roster, since they need to negotiate with the different character owners to see if they can use them in Title Fight.

On a side note, I'm really hoping that they don't stick with Title Fight as the final title. They should at least put Sony somewhere in the title.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Alright, look. I'm a big PlayStation fan, everyone here knows it, I buy and play a lot of the big PS3 and PSP exclusives but I don't think this is really the coolest idea ever. I mean number one it's going to be directly compared to Smash, which isn't how you want to start right out the gate. But more than anything I think Sony needs to accept that these characters just don't have the cultural impact or just general presence in the gaming community that Nintendo characters have. I think the numbers show that while these games sell very well, they're not the epic icons that every gamer knows. If you walked into a Game Stop and showed the regular Madden/Call of Duty player a picture of Cole McGrath or Sweet Tooth they'd probably have no idea who they are. Mario or Link? That's a different story.

Also a lot of these guys have only been around for one console gen, and other two max. As a gamer, it's awesome that Sony creates A LOT of new gaming franchises every generation, but for something like this, it's almost a little pretentious to pretend that these guys have earned their stripes as legends. I LOVE Colonel Radec, his character design and voice acting is PHENOMENAL but he was just in one game. I know you could say that about some of the SSB characters, but they're anchored by veterans of the gaming world.

And with mechanics, I don't know if I can trust Sony San Diego or whatever B-Team internal developer they're going to hand this off to to come through on the gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PlayStation Move title. Actually, that would be kinda cool...

Overall, I think there's a lot of other cool things SCE could be doing right now... I know they like to keep even their lesser acclaimed studios busy, but those dudes could be getting outsourced a lot of the work on the bigger titles, like how Ubisoft essentially has 4-5 teams crafting the yearly Assassin's Creed II trilogy. All that being said, I would love for PlayStation to prove me wrong.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is just plain silly. Who the hell wants to see Nathan Drake fight Fat Princess? Give me some Donkey Kong vs. Pikachu, thanks.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I think it's a weak idea. At least come up with a new game concept instead of a rip-off.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's not that it's unoriginal tha tputs me off, but that I don't even really have a very strong attachment to any of the characters they've announced so far.

Who is mael radec? Who's sweet tooth? I've never played fat princess, or any of the sly games either.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Sweet Tooth will be the new Captain Falcon.

I'd better be able to play as an Arc the Lad character.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's not that it's unoriginal tha tputs me off, but that I don't even really have a very strong attachment to any of the characters they've announced so far.
    Agreed. Every single character I've seen so far has been more of a turn-off for me than anything else. Hardly any of them fits the Super Smash concept, most of them are very unappealing and I don't even recognise half of them.

Swap that random, ugly bunch for more things like "Crash Bandicoot", Laharl and Kos-Mos, and I'll be sold in an instant though.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ha! Snake is already in Smash Bros.

I remember Sweet Tooth well from PSX, but who the hell wants to play as him? I can't think of any good characters for this kind of thing.

Kratos, Cole, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Snake, and Nyx could all be awesome to play as from recent games. And if they go back to pre-PS3 games we have Persona and Xenosaga characters. Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?

And don't forget any of the Disgaea characters, or Makai Kingdom.

There are a lot of PS Exlusives that could give us some awesome characters, the problem is I doubt most of them would make the cut.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

The problem here is they'll never get licensing to get the characters we actually want in there. Nintendo can pull something like this off because they have a large cast of characters, fitting a common art style, all owned by nintendo. Sony has an awesome lineup from playstation history, but the characters are all very different, from very different games, and often those games aren't owned by sony. I mean really, i could care less about what version of brooding male protagonist with five o'clock shadow they have on the cast. I'll give them sweet tooth, crash, spyro, sackboy, Sir Daniel from MidiEvil, and possibly Tag from Modnation. Outside of those, i think anyone else is going to feel shoehorned into a game they don't fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Kratos, Cole, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Snake, and Nyx could all be awesome to play as from recent games. And if they go back to pre-PS3 games we have Persona and Xenosaga characters. Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?

And don't forget any of the Disgaea characters, or Makai Kingdom.

There are a lot of PS Exlusives that could give us some awesome characters, the problem is I doubt most of them would make the cut.
    Persona has its own fighting game coming up, and I get the feeling it will be way more interesting.

Although I would accept KOS-MOS as a guest character, but only once more of the Persona cast is filled out. I want Mitsuru in the game, dangit.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Just make it a Crash Bandicoot fighting game with characters from Crash Bandicoot. Dingodile smacking Coco in the face with his tail? I could not say "Yes!" enough times. Also Spyro the Dragon would be in it too, but he'd be the only outsider allowed. Oh also Lance Vance from GTA: Vice City.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Seeing as Snake is already in Smash, they already lost their heaviest hitter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?
    Make a fighter with those two as the only avaiable characters, and I'll freaking buy it on the release.

Mao (Disgaea 3) vs Dr. Neo Cortex would be another awesome battle.

And for story mode, just replace Giga Bowser with Overlord Bhaal. <3

Bob-Ombs = Prinnies!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

What about FF characters? I wouldn't even say no to a Moomba, Chocobo, or Moogle being included.