Thread: Other RPG Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Other RPG Series

Some people, myself included, feel the last few Final Fantasy games have been a little weak. So, with that said, what is currently the definitive RPG series?

I would say Persona. The setting is fun, the music and voice acting is excellent, and the plot and dialogue is very well-written, thought-provoking, and easy to relate to. That, and the battle system kicks serious ass.

"Current" would be nice, but we're still waiting for Persona 5, and they've barely hinted at it. It is so frustrating!

While plenty of people can have fun debating its status as an RPG, I'm going to stick Mass Effect up there too.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really a series, but Xenoblade Chronicles is the closest I've played to a perfect RPG. Incredible story, pacing and characters, beautiful music, very nice graphics and a huge scope - the world is immense and the amount of side-quests is staggering. Also, thanks to the way you influence the townsfolk and their relations, the world really feels like a living, breathing place. Not to mention the exciting battles... I'm so glad you guys are finally getting it!

The Elder Scrolls! Better than RPGs.
    No idk. I don't even play new games because they're just bad. But Skyrim is seriously rocking my world.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Depends if you are talking about RPGs or JRPGs. For JRPGs I have no idea, I don't think I am alone in the thought that the genre has hit some hard times. For RPGs in general it is Elder Scrolls all the way. I don't particularly like such games, but I can't deny it's prominence.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The last few Final Fantasy titles happen to be my favorite in the series! But Persona really is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    "Current" would be nice, but we're still waiting for Persona 5, and they've barely hinted at it. It is so frustrating!

While plenty of people can have fun debating its status as an RPG, I'm going to stick Mass Effect up there too.
    Mass Effect is amazing! I also really like Dragon Age, but not quite as much.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

D&D, which will never fail because it depends on the quality of its players and I am quite amazing, if I do say so myself.

Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls are the obvious traditional answers.

Demons/dark souls is pretty awesome
    Valkyria chronicles is great

Traditional jrpg games are few and far between, and even fewer are series. Dragon quest is still big, but the next will be partially mmo

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can't say "definitive" but I would nominate the Valkyria Chronicles series as a new entry into the pantheon of classic RPG franchises. The first and second game were just so good and the gameplay is very fresh and somewhat deep.

It's hard to pinpoint something like this because there isn't anything as good as Final Fantasy that releases on the fast schedule that FFVII-X did. I would say Dragon Quest is still great, but they don't release them that often. The RPG classic has moved to handhelds and it seems more like smaller studios putting out one offs like Radiant History and some series who would fill the void left by Final Fantasy.