Thread: Devin Townsend: Canadian god of music.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Default Devin Townsend: Canadian god of music.

Okay, so I've never seen anyone mention the mighty Devin Townsend around here and I feel like I should remedy that.

I've been listening to him for about a decade and a half now and he's output is so consistent and so high quality that by default makes him probably my favourite musician. He can do a variety of styles but the foundation of his stuff is primarily hard rock and metal, although I feel it's a bit of a disservice to reduce his stuff using that description.

In general, his work is large and atmospheric and, most central to his identity, intense. The intensity comes from the general rawness of his lyrical content and vocal delivery. Don't get me wrong, though, the production of his albums (all 16 of them, including every band and project he's been central to) is refined and experimental. This absolutely is not garage rock, if that's what you're thinking.

Anyway, enough of my talk - here are some assorted samples of my personal favourite tracks of his.

One of his best songs, "Deadhead", off the album Accelerated Evolution from 200...3? This is one of his strongest tracks of this particular "genre" of Devin styles. Really great lyrics although I don't know really what they mean. The point is how he sings them: Devin Townsend - Deadhead - YouTube

"Deep Peace" off Terria (2001). Absolutely gorgeous guitar lead right smack in the middle of the track: Devin Townsend - Deep Peace - YouTube

For something completely different, "Sunset" off 2006's Synchestra. A short-ish instrumental, but just really, really nice. The keys are simple and great: Devin townsend project - Sunset - YouTube

More different stuff, off his most recent release Ghost, is "Blackberry". Folksy and chillin'. I put this song on repeat a lot. It was my favourite song of this past summer: Devin Townsend - Blackberry - YouTube

Flat out one of his best songs is "Hyperdrive" - it actually shows up twice in his discography. The best version is from 2009's Addicted, on which Anneke van Giersbergen from the band The Gathering handles most of the vocals. Really, really awesome. Another on-repeat song for me: Devin Townsend - Hyperdrive [HQ] Addicted (2009) - YouTube

For those with a lot of pent-up aggression, you might like the heavier tracks of his output. "Deconstruction" off Deconstruction is wild and crazy. Silly but complex as well. Give this one a shot and try to get past the opening skit if you don't have patience for that kind of thing: Devin Townsend - Deconstruction - YouTube

If you like really aggressive stuff, his output from his time in the band Strapping Young Lad is out of this world aggressive. "All Hail the New Flesh" off SYL's City (from 1997 I think): Strapping Young Lad - All Hail The New Flesh - YouTube

And my personal favourite, although your mileage may vary, "Life" from 1997's Ocean Machine. I saw him play it live this weekend and it was just great (sidenote: he is the most gracious guy when it comes to his fans. He came off the front of the stage after the last song and chatted with like everyone in the venue individually. Unreal.): Devin Townsend - Life - YouTube

Anywho, give him a listen and post your thoughts!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Strapping Young Lad.

Blog Entries

He's not thug.

there was a picture here

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I wish I could find a better example, but there's not much online. Some of his guitar work reminds me of these guys

I don't care for the vocals on most of the harder tracks.

Blackberry is fantastic though. I could see having it on repeat nonstop.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I'd friend you for this but that avatar and sig.

SYL rule, though. City's awesome, as was posted. Alien's up there too for me. The track "SYL" off HAARHT is the first SYL song I ever heard and I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

Yesssss

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I'd friend you for this but that avatar and sig.

Contributions

That was pretty rude of me. I apologize.

Here, an offering of friendship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC3akMSxNJ8

Anyway, Devin Townsend! Come on people let's get talking!