Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Hit Wonders

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default One Hit Wonders

The other day I bought a PSP 3000 specifically because Kingdom Hearts BBS is only available on it. In the end I'm glad I did because it was cheap and I also grabbed a copy of Dissidia 012 and there's some other games on the console I'd like to play, but the point is that if that one game wasn't available for the PSP then I never would have bought it.

Have any of you guys done something similar to this? Has there been a game that you wanted to play so badly that you bought a console specifically to be able to play it?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yes, Final Fantasy X.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I am considering getting a Wii purely for Skyward Sword.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Murder View Post
    Yes, Final Fantasy X.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I bought my PS3 just to play Final Fantasy Tactics. Yes, you heard that right.

I had a mod chip added to my PS2, but as a side affect it rendered it unable to read CD's. I bought on of the old hardware emulation PS3 models just so I could play a PS1 game.

Other than that I would never buy a console just for one game, but the threshold of games I need to own one is rather low. I only buy 5-10 games for most consoles I have.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Got a GameCube for the GBA player to play my Advance remakes of FFIV & FFI&II on. I've never bought a game for it, although i have checked out Twin Snakes and played a good deal of Mega Man Collection on it.

Nintendo DS I was indifferent to until I saw the poster for FFIII - Coming Soon in GameStop. At that moment I realized I was going to buy a DS, and waited until the DS Lite/NSMB launch.

PSP I waited even longer to jump into until Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was announced. Like the DS Lite, bought it when a new model came out in anticipation of the game.

As far as those two systems, I've gotten a lot of other titles but it was definitely those two that made me get it. Might just be a timing thing, since most consoles release a couple things I want for them eventually. PS3 was a timing thing as well, I got it in anticipation of GTA IV and MGS4 at the end of 2007/beginning of 2008.

Blog Entries

I got a PSP just for Crisis Core. I shelled out for the Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary silver one with the Sephiroth, Zack and Cloud artwork on the back. I got some use of it after CC. Patapon, Dissidia and Tekken all got a good run, though the thing's been collecting dust now for some time (the battery cover's also broken so a piece of yellowing sticky tape is holding it in place).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

When I bought my PS3 the main game I wanted it for was FFXIII....

Damn.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I don't think so. I can't think of a single console I bought just to play a single game, though games like MGS2, FFVII, Mario 64, etc. all made strong cases to buy a console on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Got a GameCube for the GBA player to play my Advance remakes of FFIV & FFI&II on. I've never bought a game for it, although i have checked out Twin Snakes and played a good deal of Mega Man Collection on it.
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Metroid Prime. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. All very solid GameCube games.

Going to get a Vita just for Persona 4 Portable, myself.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I want a Wii just for the virtual console library.

I wound up with a ton of games, but the main reason I bought a PS1 when I did was for FFVII.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Got a gamecube for Fire Emblem. Got a wii primarily for Fire Emblem. i like fire emblem bro. Considered getting a psp but theres a few games i would get. like fftactics and starocean and bof and trout. phil sell me your psp. i know you have one now

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Yes, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness and Disgaea 3.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Way back in the day I bought a Playstation specifically for FF7

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The moment Dissidia was announced was the moment I decided I had to have a PSP someday. I also decided I had to have a PS3 when Versus was announced, but before I could get one I got introduced to some pretty sweet then-exclusive Xbox titles, and FFXIII was announced for 360, so I never did get one. I do want to play Heavy Rain though, and Journey and Versus XIII are looking to be interesting titles.