Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's have a Pokémon tournament! OK?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Any time!
    Incidentally for 3 days a "special" slackoth was released in the dream world before it was removed, this slackoth for some reason did not have the slack off ability when fully evolved, instead having inner focus. Not likely to be a problem, just interesting
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why not just ban uber tier pokemon?
    Uber (B/W) - Smogon University

I wish I could participate, but I don't even have a DS at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Any time!
    Incidentally for 3 days a "special" slackoth was released in the dream world before it was removed, this slackoth for some reason did not have the slack off ability when fully evolved, instead having inner focus. Not likely to be a problem, just interesting
    Wow, now THAT is broken. Luckily, I doubt anyone here got his/her hands on that if it was so limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Any time!
    Agreed. Going by the "no Uber" rules is the best way to have balanced and fair matches.

Though I have no objection against banning Heatran, since that one is a special case and you can usually only get one... and while being one of the most powerful OU pokemons. If someone got a Heatran with an ideal nature and good EV/IV, it can be quite hard to match in a casual tournament.

But I'm totally against banning Hydreigon. While its base stats are very high, it's not a broken pokemon since the stats are so spread. It has a good attack AND special attack, but neither is "incredibly high", meaning you still can't reach a broken attack stat value. For example: if Hydreigon had - 50 attack and + 50 special attack, it would have been way too powerful, while still having the same total value of base stats. But right now, it can only reach a "good amount" in either Special or Normal attack. Its speed is also less than that of many potential threats, plus the weakness to fighting ( vacuum wave ) means there are some reliable ways to deal with it ( Lucario is a perfect counter to switch in on a Dragon move ).

The reason Garchomp was put in Uber, unlike Hydreigon, was because its stats were better focused on Attack + Speed, combined with Outrage and a pretty dangerous ability... PLUS good defensive stats... which made it a sweeper that nothing could stand up against and had no reliable counter at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright! I agree. Since this is a casual tournament (if it turns out to be a tournament, which it still isn't, since there's only three participants), instead of banning legendaries, let's ban ubers. As for Hydreigon, I'm pretty neutral on the matter, but we'll have to see how the other contestants (if there are any ) feel about this.

I have another nooby question, though, since it's been a while since I've played Pokemon online and have yet to do so with Black/White. Do the battle utilize the wonder launcher, like in Wireless Battles? Do all Pokemon get levelled up/down to the same level, or does everyone retain their levels?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Alright! I agree. Since this is a casual tournament (if it turns out to be a tournament, which it still isn't, since there's only three participants), instead of banning legendaries, let's ban ubers. As for Hydreigon, I'm pretty neutral on the matter, but we'll have to see how the other contestants (if there are any ) feel about this.

I have another nooby question, though, since it's been a while since I've played Pokemon online and have yet to do so with Black/White. Do the battle utilize the wonder launcher, like in Wireless Battles? Do all Pokemon get levelled up/down to the same level, or does everyone retain their levels?
    wonder launcher only if both people agree, and no, no leveling
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen