Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1UP Retrospective on Suikoden 1 and why it's awesome.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool 1UP Retrospective on Suikoden 1 and why it's awesome.

Says it on the tin

Anyway, this is a Suikoden Thread, so explain why you love Suikoden and why this article is right.

This is basically the best JRPG series ever (if Chrono doesn't count as a series, that is). I should really hook up my PS2 and play all the games after II. And, for that matter, replay the first two; I've forgotten way too much about them.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because it's the best god damn series of games ever made and SII is the best game ever made period. That is why I love Suikoden.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well since Milf brought it up, which is your fave Suikoden? Mine is a toss up between the first three but I may give it to Suikoden 1, despite aging the worst of the series, and being the cheesiest. I love McDohl and the story of the Soul Eater Rune, and while other stories have better writing and worlds, Suikoden 1 really did a decent job of separating itself from other sword and sorcery RPGs. It's also my favorite because I tend to get goosebumps whenever a new entry references the game and the biggest part of enjoying Suikoden II was meeting up with all the cast members from Suikoden I, Flik and Victor are so much more entertaining when you played the first game, same with Futch and Siegfried. Not to mention getting McDohl as a hidden character is still possibly my favorite secret in any RPG.

Blog Entries

IV is my favorite; think of all the sailing you get to do.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree with that article entirely. Suikoden is far and away my favorite RPG series. The story and characters are generally the highlights, but the article was spot-on regarding the clean efficiency of Suikoden I (which would also apply to II, which is maybe ~10 hours longer than I).

Suikoden II is my favorite. I and II both have my favorite stories, but II has my favorite characters. And Suikoden II is just like Suikoden I, but at least slightly better in almost every conceivable way: gameplay (better major battle and rune system), graphics, characters (it's tough to beat Jowy -- and you even can get McDohl again!), etc. But I still do love Suikoden I, III, and V, and they're all really close in my mind. The much-maligned IV is not as good as the others, but still a decent game if enjoyed for what it is and played without expectations (which, to be fair, is difficult for the first play through).

Should I bother asking what everyone's favorite rune is, or will everyone just pick Soul Eater? How about second favorite rune? Other badass runes that come to mind are Blue Gate (maybe not the most useful rune, but the spells always look so imposing) and Jowy's Black Sword Rune.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think my favorite rune is actually the Blue Gate rune, I always get excited when I get a hold of one because as Raist says the spells look like serious trout.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Is there a cheap way to play SII? or the first one for that matter. Can you get them on PSN at all?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can get Suikoden 1 on PSN but for some reason, Suikoden 2 has not been released yet, and its really pissing me off cause the game is incredibly expensive to find a copy of nowadays, so emulation is probably your next best choice until Konami gets their head out of their ass...

I'm partial to the Shield Rune, not the True Rune version but just the typical Shield Rune like in Suikoden 3. Once you give Aila the Earth and Shield Rune, Geddoe's team is pretty much unstoppable. It's just a practical rune with good healing and defensive spells. The Dragon Star Sword is amusing as well but I guess he wouldn't count. Yet, the Soul Eater is still my fave True Rune.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I tried to get into Suikoden 1 a few times now since I got it from the PSN a few years ago but just haven't been able to any time I've tried. I want to get through it and like it, but I find my attention inevitably drifts to something else and I don't come back to it. I never played it when it originally came out and it's hard to get into now to be honest. Even for an RPG of the time I don't think the gameplay aged that well from what little I've gotten through.

I've always been more interested in playing Suikoden 2 to be honest though but like Wolf said, if you aren't emulating it then good luck with that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm... I've been wanting to play newer RPGs on handheld but I'm thinking Suikoden PSN deserves a download... although Vivi22's post gives me pause.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It could partly be me Bolivar. As I've gotten older my gaming interests have shifted quite a bit from mainly playing RPG's to playing a bit of everything but with a much reduced interest in RPG's. I've played so many that it takes something pretty spectacular to capture my interest, and my tolerance for turn based combat and clunky UI's is not what it used to be.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Do I have cred here at all? Cause if I do, I'm going to throw it all in the garbage can and just come out and say I've never played any Suikoden games except for the third for about 10 hours and then traded in for... something. This was about 5 or 6 years ago when I was really in a RPG downswing.

Anyway, I've been eyeing S1 on PSN for some time. Worth it?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Suikoden is decidedly old school in terms of telling a story, and its more like DQ and early FF than the PS1 RPG genre. It uses a ton of cliches: rebels vs. empire; elves, dwarfs and kobolds; forbidden magic, "chosen hero of destiny", and some of the most narm inducing drama to ever grace an RPG outside of Revelations: Persona. That's not to say the plot doesn't have its strong moments or surprising twists, but if you're an RPG veteran, there is very little in Suikoden's plot that is going to surprise you (the final battle/ending might) let alone escape that sense of "been there, done that". It's a fairly typical fantasy story with some political overtones. The later entries tend to downplay the fantasy elements in favor of focusing on stronger and more dramatic political story telling, which was the better route if you ask me. Still, McDohl's story concerning the True Rune is still one of the better ones in the franchise since the True Runes are usually treated as simple plot devices to start conflicts in the later games and the focus is more political than dealing with magic artifacts that grant demi-god status.

It's big strength is the massive cast and the games clever use of Chrono Trigger's Dual/triple techs so the game gives you major incentive to play around with your party and discover combo attacks. Runes use an FF1/D&D style with different tiers of power and limited casting of each tier of spell so there is some strong item/resource management going on. Deeper customization systems come later in the series but Suikoden 1 is pretty straight about it. Basically think of Suikoden as a really snazzy looking 16-bit RPG. There are some clever gameplay elements, the duels were a novel idea and play a large role in some of the more dramatic moments of the game, war battles are simple, and somewhat based more on luck than I would care for, but I still prefer them over Suikoden 2's system(my least favorite), though I feel Suikoden V has hands down the best army battles in the series. Also, the sheer challenge of getting all 108 stars is more than most of the franchise has tried (though Suikoden V is a close second) as it's very easy to lose story characters through events in the game, and it's very easy to have story characters killed in the war battles (Maximilian is the best example) so trying to get the true ending is a nice challenge. The castle building system itself is a very novel idea though Suikoden 2's castle is still the best in the series imho.

The big thing about Suikoden 1 is that the rest of the series refers back to it and a lot of the emotion in Suikoden II is lost on people who didn't play S1, so its kind of important to play it to understand what is going on when people mention the Toran Republic, or the Harmonia Empire's dealings with the Scarlet Moon Kingdom. A near third of the cast returns in Suikoden 2 and S2 doesn't bother in the slightest to recap their backstories. Seriously, the excitement of seeing Victor and Flik is lost on people who didn't play the first game, not to mention Futch's story. Hell the entire sidequest involving Clyde only unlocks in S2 if you did a minor thing in S1. You really miss out on some of Suikoden 2's most heart wrenching scenes if you don't recruit McDohl. No one who has played both cannot tell me you're heart didn't sink a little when McDohl reunites with Sakura and they discuss the effects of the True Rune's curse and her feelings for him. S1 and S2 are so ingrained with each other for me, it's difficult to talk about one without bringing up the other. The later entries are a bit better about this but one of the most amusing thing about the series is paying attention to name dropping as Suikoden 1 actually mentions the conflict with the nation that is the focal point in the next game, just as Suikoden 2 brings brings up the first taste of the Grasslands where Suikoden III takes place. Really, after playing the new entry, you almost want to play the old entry to discover if they referenced events. The entire plot of Suikoden V is based on the biography info you pick up on Georg Prime in Suikoden II. Suikoden IV brings up references o conflicts mentioned in passing books from Suikoden 1 about the Scarlet Moon Empires history.

It's the cohesive world that the numbered Suikoden games have built that makes the series so freaking awesome. Suikoden I has not aged well compared to the glorious Suikoden II or the underrated and groundbreaking Suikoden III but it's still a decent RPG romp that sets up one of the best and overlooked RPG franchises in gaming history.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Looks like the link is broken.
    Anyways Suikoden 1 has always been my fav, is hard to explain I guess the story was more epic than the others. Also Tir, Gremio and Ted are my fav characters from the series..
    Suikoden 2 was great too but it lost a bit of the magic, it was indeed more flashy than 1 so most of the people like this one.
    Suikoden 3, 4 and 5 are good too but not even close to the first 2 games, (honorable mention to 4 for bringing back Ted)..

>>> My fav True Rune? making Soul eater aside I guess the "Punishment" one, I really like that rune`s design.
    Last edited by black orb; 12-28-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..