Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are we not talking about The Hobbit?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Do you guys not really know what The Hobbit is? It's the prequel to Lord of the Rings. It's not a spin-off!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think the thing I am most annoyed about is the fact they wrote Elijah Frodo into the story.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Two films? LOL pad that franchise Jackson!

It looks like it's going to be a gorgeous film, like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

But it looks...well, frankly...kinda boring. Does any action take place in the book?

I'll end up seeing it regardless.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Murder View Post
    I'm curious how they will stretch a book intended for younger readers into two movies. However, I will of course be there to see it all.

The trailer looks cool, but I want to see more.
    It's no LoTR level of epic, but a lot of stuff does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Two films? LOL pad that franchise Jackson!

It looks like it's going to be a gorgeous film, like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

But it looks...well, frankly...kinda boring. Does any action take place in the book?

I'll end up seeing it regardless.
    Yes, of course. I'm sure they'll epic the trout out of the battle with Smaug. There's also fights with spiders and goblins.

The films aren't just going to include material from The Hobbit; the second film is going to include connecting material from some of Tolkien's other writings and I believe the filmmakers have said it's going to end right before Fellowship starts.

Anyway this looks great, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    Pfft. This film looks so much like lord of the rings why are they copying? They even got the same guy who did gandalf. Are they trying to make this a homage or are they just trying to get gandalf in to cash in on the LOTR hype?
    old news PG
    The sad thing about YouTube is that Poe's Law applies doubly so I'm not sure if the dude in that screenshot was trolling or not. I want to believe he was, but, well, it's YouTube.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I think the thing I am most annoyed about is the fact they wrote Elijah Frodo into the story.
    Even as a huuuge fan, I still think they're going a tad overboard with the pandering. They're including Legolas, Galadriel, and Frodo. Hell, maybe tiny little Aragorn will pop in during the Rivendell parts. I don't mind terribly, because I will never say no to seeing more of these characters. But this isn't a Hobbit movie so much as it's a general prequel to LotR.

I saw the trailer the MINUTE it came online. It's a surreal feeling, watching this fandom gear up again.

I'm ready to fangirl my way into next year. Hobbit 2012, woohoo!

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Ignoring that Frodo is a character introduced in LOTR he was 21 when he moved to Bag End.

I'm just saying chronologically it's possible just annoying. I hope they don't include LOTR clips in flashbacks just to have more Frodo Baggins.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

flasdhbacks? flashforwards right. that trout dont happen yet.

anway. can't belive the cameos miriel mentioned. why. i mean i love the characters but ugh guys do it justice instead of making it a cash cow. i mean i'll watch it and love it but the die hard fan will be like 'wryyyy' :weep:

Articles
    Blog Entries

I read this book so many smurfing times when I was younger, so I'm definitely excited to see how the movie turns out.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Murder View Post
    Do you guys not really know what The Hobbit is? It's the prequel to Lord of the Rings. It's not a spin-off!
    Nope I didn't know.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Go read it right now!

I hope they do a Silmarillion movie some day. Specifically, the story of Beren & Luthien. That story is freaking epic. Moreso than the Hobbit I'd say. Also in that story most the characters are Elves so they'll all be beautiful. Dwarves are funny looking. Though the head dwarf (Thorin?) does look rather dashing in this one.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Go read it right now!

I hope they do a Silmarillion movie some day. Specifically, the story of Beren & Luthien. That story is freaking epic. Moreso than the Hobbit I'd say. Also in that story most the characters are Elves so they'll all be beautiful. Dwarves are funny looking. Though the head dwarf (Thorin?) does look rather dashing in this one.
    I don't see a live-action version of the Silmarillion ever happening, however cool it would be for hardcore Tolk fans. An animated series however....maybe someday, I know I'd watch it.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DWAAAAAAAAAAAARVESSSSSSSSS!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Go read it right now!

Tavrobel (remember him? He's still not dead) thinks the Silmarillion would be done best as a series, like Game of Thrones. I'm inclined to agree with him. You could probably dedicate 2-3 episodes to Beren/Luthien and to the Children of Hurin.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

You're right. GoT has really opened the door for some sweet old school fantasy action. And really, the Silmarillian, apart from the massive headache that it would be to ensure consistency, allows for an enormous amount of room for the director/scriptwriters/producers to be creative. In other words, they could do a lot with the characters, plots, and scenery without impinging on details in the book as they would with more condensed stories.