Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walkthroughs not doing the research.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Walkthroughs not doing the research.

Because I used to read PlayStation Magazines, I ended up with various Walkthroughs, that I read in my spare time, some of them are really well written as I've said before, but some of them have moments that look like they didn't do the research on the game they were guiding us through.

For one guide for Final Fantasy VII (I have lost this book, and want it back - it was a Tips and Tricks style book, it mostly had cheats, but a couple of games had walkthroughs) that got a couple of boss names wrong (I guess they didn't know about the help window?) at the end (just before they talk about the North Crater) they give a rundown of all the things in the game left to do, and simply say that there are some caves and a platau (the Anicent Forrest, I guess.) that are inaccessable, but doesn't say anything about how you get to them. There were probably other things as well, but I still want to read it again, because I liked the style.

One Play Magazine free walkthrough for Resident Evil (the main book was for all possible outcomes of each scenario on Resident Evil 2, which changes depending on who's mission you play first, or something.) The section on RE1, the walkthrough stated that there are two giant snakes in the game, when it's just the same one appearing twice (if it wasn't made obvious by the fact that in the first encounter the snake doesn't die, Capcom have confirmed this fact). Also, the same guide states that one of the STARS members suicides himself, when he doesn't (although to be fair on them, the way that scenes played kind of makes it look like he does).

Do you have have any?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I had a pokemon guide once for pokemon red that said that growlithe evolves into ninetails at level 30.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Strange. I wonder if it was a cut and paste error?

Still trying to think of others - problem is, because I got them from magazines, I have walktrhoughs for games that I don't have.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I have a strategy guide for Final Fantasy IX and the entire guide says "WELL YOU CAN GET THIS AND DO THIS" ...but doesn't tell you actually how to do or obtain any of it.

My mom bought it for me for Christmas along with the game back in 2000. No idea where the hell she got it from.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guides from the 16-bit to PSX generations are pretty notorious for missing things. The official FFVII Guide missed a few items (Cursed Ring and Behemoth Horn) mixed up how to obtain certain materia (Final Attack and Sneak Attack), the FFVI guide for the SNES missed a few items and side quests, Xenogears guide leaves out rare item drops from enemies and doesn't realize that several supposedly unwinnable battles are winnable and net you rare items. Stuff like this are common for RPG guides.

White Knight Chronicles.

If you've ever tried to use that for the multiplayer maps, you'd cry yourself a salty river at it's complete incompitance.

Me and my friend litterally did the polar opposite of what it said, and it turned out that was the correct way to go about it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    For one guide for Final Fantasy VII (I have lost this book, and want it back - it was a Tips and Tricks style book, it mostly had cheats, but a couple of games had walkthroughs) that got a couple of boss names wrong (I guess they didn't know about the help window?) at the end (just before they talk about the North Crater) they give a rundown of all the things in the game left to do, and simply say that there are some caves and a platau (the Anicent Forrest, I guess.) that are inaccessable, but doesn't say anything about how you get to them. There were probably other things as well, but I still want to read it again, because I liked the style.
    I think that was the exact same walkthrough I used as a kid. I loved the hell out of that thing, despite how inaccurate it was in hindsight. I remember it calling Carry Armor "Dock Loader" and Motorball was called "Armoured Tank". It also told you how to get Yuffie and Vincent, but next to the Yuffie description was a picture of Aeris.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think that was the exact same walkthrough I used as a kid. I loved the hell out of that thing, despite how inaccurate it was in hindsight. I remember it calling Carry Armor "Dock Loader" and Motorball was called "Armoured Tank". It also told you how to get Yuffie and Vincent, but next to the Yuffie description was a picture of Aeris.
    Oh my God, I think that's the one. I'm so pleased someone else finally knew which one I ment. If I remeber correctly, it was pretty good at avoiding spoilers - the biggest FFVII spoiler isn't mentioned at all. Good times.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The official FFVII guide was notably bad, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the official FFIX guide when it comes to uselessness. And it was not because of incompetence, but because it was designed to be useless. "There are items on this screen! To find out where, go to Play Online! What, did you expect this guide to actually tell you anything, or at least be worth more than the paper it's printed on? You poor, naive bastard."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    The official FFVII guide was notably bad,
    Do you have any specifics? Sorry, but I never got to read it
    but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the official FFIX guide when it comes to uselessness. And it was not because of incompetence, but because it was designed to be useless. "There are items on this screen! To find out where, go to Play Online! What, did you expect this guide to actually tell you anything, or at least be worth more than the paper it's printed on? You poor, naive bastard."
    Bad memories. Bad, bad memories. Add to the fact that I can't even get Play Online to work anymore!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

The official FFVII guide was notably bad, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the official FFIX guide when it comes to uselessness. And it was not because of incompetence, but because it was designed to be useless. "There are items on this screen! To find out where, go to Play Online! What, did you expect this guide to actually tell you anything, or at least be worth more than the paper it's printed on? You poor, naive bastard."
    So wait, you mean that was the official guide? Like Brandy Games or Piggyback would release? Dear god.

I still have it somewhere.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The guide does let loose some secrets if you study it enough (blue mage skills, some rare item locations and what not) but yeaj, the guide was a terrible terrible idea overall.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The official FFVII guide was notably bad,
    Do you have any specifics? Sorry, but I never got to read it
    WK provided a few examples. I don't remember much else specific as I haven't looked at it in a good 8 or so years, but I also remember it mixed up some items that you could win from Battle Square or chocobo racing, and some dungeon areas were missing items (a Counter or Counter Magic in the Northern Crater, as one example).

Blog Entries

Come to think of it, that FFVII guide also thought "H051-whatever" was one of the Jenovas...

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

xD I still have my IX guide. I was so angry after spending $20 on such a useless piece of garbage. By the time I got it PlayOnline had already taken down it's IX information.

The VI guide missed a secret area off-screen right before you obtain Carbuncle. I don't remember what was in the area though.