Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: NFL... Playoffs?!?

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

First of all, yeah I hate the Patriots, but it's a fun hatred, and it's not to the point that I can't objectively appreciate talent when I see it. They've had some of the best play callers and coordinators of all time. And their defense, though it's never been entirely elite, has really stepped it up at key moments several times. So, yeah, my evaluation of Brady isn't blind, it comes from a troutton of watching football over the course of nearly 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    This is largely bulltit. The NFL, like anything, evolves over time. As medical research is done, the game will evolve to best reflect said research. If we are going to say that it is unfair to compare Drew Brees' achievements to that of Dan Marino, then we should also make a caveat to say that it is unfair to compare Dan Marion, or any relatively modern player, to any of the first great football players who played the game without pads and a single leather helmet. The game evolves and the rules evolve with it. Get over it.
    It's not fair to compare any relatively modern QB to those early guys. I'm not sure what there is to get over. Your position that the game changes over time is exactly my point. Is it sensible to compare the intelligences of humans and monkeys, or the hunting ability of a poodle vs a wolf? The game evolved, and with it also the definition of quality QBing. Many modern QBs would have been terrible 30-40 years ago and many of the star QBs of that era wouldn't be as good on a modern team. Or actually, it's more accurate to say that we have no idea how they would actually be flip-flopped because of those differences. In other words, there's no sense in comparing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    The last half of that specific paragraph makes no sense. Does the NFL care about money? Yes. The NFL is, first and foremost, a business. Without money, the sport would die. However, without big names like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Bress, etc. fans would lose interest and the money would wither and die out. Big name players like Brady and Manning, who "can't take a hit" are one of the key reasons that the game is as lucrative as it is these days. So yes, the NFL cares about money, but it also cares about big name players because they are the gateway into making money.
    I'm not sure why you're getting irked at me for saying something and then proving my point for me. The point isn't about whether or not the NFL would be validated in protecting its marketable icons because of money. The problem is they don't admit that's the reason and instead make it about the players' health, as if they're doing it for altruistic humanitarian reasons. That's called duplicitous and it's not something I value.

So there's a lot of talk about Brady being the best ever, basically #1.
    As for Brady being the best QB ever? No. Not by a longshot.
    (emphasis mine)
    So, I read: "not #1, not even close" Sounds to me like that means he's overrated.

Saying the Brady is a horrible QB or that he is overrated is, well, dumb.
    So anyway, I don't think anyone ever has tried to make the claim that Brady's a horrible QB. He's a good QB who looks a lot better than he actually is because of coaching and other factors.

I'm definitely on board the Montana express. I grew up a Bengals fan (they were good in the 80's I swear). I had undying fanatical faith in my team. Nothing short of a football god could have stopped them, and that's exactly what it took. What a game that was.

Brees has the potential to make it really high on the list. When he's in overdrive there's nobody better, he's just superhuman sometimes. I don't know how SF won that game a few weeks ago. It was astonishing. But damn it was a good game, so who cares.

Is Brees better then Brady? I love him but I'm not sure he's better, yet.

As for the Brady versus Peyton debate: I think it's a bit of a wash in the the sense that Manning has usually had a FAR superior offense when compared to Brady's and likewise, Brady's defense has been more consistent then Manning's.

What's interesting is that football is one of the few sports where individual positions have wildly different stats. In baseball, the consensus best player ever is most likely Babe Ruth and you can judge almost all offensive stats against him and any offensive player. In hockey, it's Gretzky and likewise, you can judge him against almost every offensive player. Same with basketball and Jordan. But, how do you compare the value of a QB to a running back or a linebacker?

I still think Jim Brown was the best player ever since he transformed the sport and dominated it to the extent that he walked away with a lot left in the tank to become a movie star (or try to be). However, how do you judge him against say LT, Rice or Montana?

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Come on Giants. Smurf them up!!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

One simple thought at half-time - curse you Brady!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not an exciting game so far.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

These games usually get better in the second half anyway.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Brady is on it. It'll take something special for the Giants to take this.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

An exciting end to the game, which resulted in another delicious Patriots loss. I await the deluge of Boston sports writers comparing Manningham's great sideline grab to Tyree's helmet catch... and then compare that to something bad that happened to the Red Sox.

It's not homerism when your team WINS.

Great job Giants!!!!

Take care all.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Congrats Captain, according to the owner of the Giants while accepting the Lombardi trophy you are the best sports fan on the planet and all this was done especially for you, by you, and through you.

Also, was it just me or was the crowd very pro-Giants?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Tony, Tony, Tony, still bitter about baseball are we? You will have your moment in the sun again, just not in football. Not if you continue to be a Raiders fan at least.

I'm just glad Ann Mara didn't scold me like she did Terry Bradshaw.

OF COURSE it was pro-Giants. You expected the Colts fans who came to the game to root for the Pats?

Even if 2012 ends up being the end of the world, it started pretty darn well.

Take care all.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

If Brady had made that Hail Mary at the end, I would have probably chucked something through my TV screen. But another great fourth quarter from Manning and the Giants. Never would have seen this coming in mid-December.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Ah! Another awesome lose for the Patriots. Being a Packer fan I drew a parallel with what Belicheck did at the end of the game to what Mike Holmgren did at the end of Super Bowl XXXII. The Packers let the Broncos score and then Favre attempted to take them down the field and failed...just like the Pats. Only this time it was awesome because I dislike Tom Brady greatly.

And we actually had a decent halftime show for once =D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yeah, Montana is the best QB ever. He's really untouchable.

As for best player ever my top choices would be Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders. Sanders was pretty amazing.

Jim Brown is also pretty good, but Barry Sanders did pretty much what Brown did but in a 16-game season.
    montana is the best Qb ever no doubt, but it's either Brown or Payton who were the best ever and Peyton was the best complete football player ever. he could run, throw, catch and block. Watch his highlights, he's not trowing 5 yard passes like LT he's throwing 30-40 yard bombs for TD's. He ran over everybody. one clip there's more than enough room for him to run and get into the endzone without touching anybody instead he runs right for 2 defenders and hits them to score. he was the best ever.

And look at Sanders stats for turf vs grass. He was horrid outside of domes. Also, he only scored one touchdown in the playoffs. yes I know he played for horrible teams but so did peyton. the bears were complete crap when they drafter him in the 70's and they were never good until 84.