Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Boco The New X-Com by Firaxis Hype Thread

So if you haven't heard the news yet, X-Com is now being remade by Firaxis (of Civilization fame.) It's confirmed for turn-based tactics in the style of the original. Link here.

Yes, this is separate from the shooter remake.

This is a thread to allow us oldschool X-Com nutjobs to work ourselves into a glorious frenzy about this development.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Blog Entries

:jess:

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo

To further whet our appetites, check out this article, and the video in particular. These guys know what they're doing. It's... so beautiful

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll admit a small part of me was wary since they kind of screwed up Civ V. But that video makes me one happy Professor.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I'll admit a small part of me was wary since they kind of screwed up Civ V. But that video makes me one happy Professor.
    I had the same concerns, but the video has largely laid those to rest. This is going to be great

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am tremendously excited, having watched that video.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Well I guess that confirms it. The world will end this year. There's no way we'll ever get this

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright guys, we've got screenshots, as well as a couple of early details: First Screens And Details Of XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Features - www.GameInformer.com

I'd like to see more screenshots before passing judgment. I do rather like the base view. As for the other details, I'm glad they seem to be keeping all of the essentials but the bit about "removing micromanagement" has got me a little worried.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Is having a rookie with a rocket launcher mind controlled and then firing into a crowd of your best soldiers with said rocket launcher micromanagement?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

If you're taking her to the Ballet and to a meal it's a sure fire way to get her performing like a soprano later in the evening, maybe with a little jools holland on in the background. It's smooth alright, smoother than Diana Krall. Though maybe you ought to watch out for her dad Sonnet, he'll probably be sitting on the porch out front with a shotgun casually cleaning it when you get home like all these country fools do.

Blog Entries

What are they going to remove? The buying and selling of ammo? Trying to puzzle-piece fit guns, medikits, grenades, and ammo onto one's person? The taking a good twenty minutes sometimes to get through one turn? I like all of that. What are they going to remove? Now I am in suspense trying to figure out what is getting guillotined and if my heart goes with it.

I got my Game Informer yesterday, and saw X-COM on the cover, and promptly went "pfft". Then I noticed a Sectoid. Opening it up, I saw quite a lengthy article on X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

What marketing idiot was planning to release this game after the stupid X-COM shooter? Everyone knows you reintroduce the series first, then release the crappy spinoffs. And the strategy game, the actual X-COM game everyone wanted, was left off the radar until now?

Anyway, the screenshots and info the article had look great, and I am very excited (and simultaneously, dreading one of the biggest perfectionist headaches returning). The biggest removal of micromanagement that has been mentioned so far is the removal of Time Units, replaced with a two-step turn, remniscent of Fire Emblem.

Rather than having to keep track and micromanage your Time Units, manually ensuring you keep enough on hand to make reaction shots or fire after moving, etcetera, each character gets two moves. First they move, then they take either an action or a second move. And, of course, they can conserve their moves to make reactions and focus shots (in the example, having a Sniper hold their entire move allowed them to make a full-turn focus shot when the enemy came into range).

To me, this is a good thing, as I found it rather easy to overshoot Time Units when moving, and splitting it in this way should make management more natural, and a little less restrictive.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    What marketing idiot was planning to release this game after the stupid X-COM shooter? Everyone knows you reintroduce the series first, then release the crappy spinoffs. And the strategy game, the actual X-COM game everyone wanted, was left off the radar until now?
    Supposedly the XCOM shooter has now been delayed so the strategy remake is coming out first now.

More screenshots are out now, by the way! And various other info: Game Informer's February Cover Reveal - XCOM Enemy Unkown

The Spoony One and Angry Joe: Now with an E3 interview!

I have to admit, I am really looking forward to this game. Finally, a lovely new strategy game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.