Thread: Name and Birthday effects on starting stats

Default Name and Birthday effects on starting stats

A looong time ago I came across an FAQ that detailed the formula that FFT (psx) uses to determine base stats for Ramza and others hired from the Soldier Office.I want to know if anyone still has this information because I have not been able to locate it.it was something about assigning a numerical value to each letter of the name you are using, as well as birthday. When applied to the formula it would let you know what effect it would have on your variable base stats.Does this sound familiar to anyone here?I found this those many years ago because I noticed when I used different names and birthdays I would have different stats, different starting abilities, and of course different starting brave and faith stats.Help me please.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

?? You don't start with any different stats.
    Males start with PA 4, MA 3, Speed 6, females start with PA 3, MA4, Speed 6.

The only stats that are random are Brave and Faith, and no mater what you aren't going to get perfect value in the default party. Your only options are: a) deal with it. b) recruit new soldiers with the Br/Fa values you want c) manually raise the values later in the game when you have access to abilities that do so. But Ramza starts out 70/70 no matter what.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

With the Recruits, perhaps that is the case, I have not tested that myself yet. However, over the last few days, I have been getting back into this game, and I already reconfirmed that Ramza's stats and starting abilities are not static.

I have seen the HP change, starting abilities change, and specifically... I have also seen starting Br/Fa at 72/70 (to name the one from this morning).

I the first time I named him Demy and gave him the birthday of Oct 1, I did this 10 time to see if anything shifted or changed. It did not. After restarting a new game for the 11th time, I changed his name to Nicodemus but kept the birthday Oct 1. His HP shifted to 51, and Br/Fa was 70/70. I repeated this another 10 time, and the new stats remained.

This is why I was asking if anyone had a copy of that old FAQ or if someone still had the formula the game uses to determine these variables.

Contributions

Nope can't say I have ever seen anything like that. Though it sounds like you are already on your way to making one of your own.

In all honesty though the stat differences are rather meaningless at that point in the game, and will have almost no bearing on your play through. If you are really concerned with having the best stats possible you are better of going with the level up/down trick. (Level down in a crappy class and level up in a good one repeatedly)

You are right I suppose, I was just curious because I did at one time find an FAQ that laid claim that name/birthday was a factor. It could very well have been a hoax or misconception. The fact that no one else knows or has seen it leads me to believe it was just that. I thank you for your input, and put this thread to rest... unless new information turns up.

Thank you all,
    Notably you VeloZer0.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I found this excerpt in a guide on GameFAQs:

The birthdate you enter for Ramza at the beginning of the game does affect the game. It is most significant when Ramza faces another character solo but also affects the strategies you use against certain storyline characters (whose Zodiac signs are fixed).
    Couldn't find anything else like that though. However, I do know that the choice of name/date of birth affects stats in the original Dragon Warrior. So, uh, yeah.

Contributions

Oh, it most certainly affects the game by changing his zodiac sign. I just though that went without saying.

Though I have never bothered to figure out which sign would be considered the most advantageous. I find it is less work to assume it all works out to be a wash in the end, and just use my birthday.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Like Velo, I thought it only affected zodiac sign.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Though I have never bothered to figure out which sign would be considered the most advantageous. I find it is less work to assume it all works out to be a wash in the end, and just use my birthday.
    Same with me. But given how crazy with stats some FFT fans are, in retrospect I am surprised that I have never seen an analysis of this.

Contributions

I have seen several guides mention that you should chose one opposite to Elmdor in order to have a higher success rate stealing, but I really don't think that alone is enough to justify the Zodiac Sign selection. Given since I find controlling the fight the hardest part I don't see taking extra damage as an especially good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ManicManaic View Post
    With the Recruits, perhaps that is the case, I have not tested that myself yet. However, over the last few days, I have been getting back into this game, and I already reconfirmed that Ramza's stats and starting abilities are not static.

I have seen the HP change, starting abilities change, and specifically... I have also seen starting Br/Fa at 72/70 (to name the one from this morning).

I the first time I named him Demy and gave him the birthday of Oct 1, I did this 10 time to see if anything shifted or changed. It did not. After restarting a new game for the 11th time, I changed his name to Nicodemus but kept the birthday Oct 1. His HP shifted to 51, and Br/Fa was 70/70. I repeated this another 10 time, and the new stats remained.

This is why I was asking if anyone had a copy of that old FAQ or if someone still had the formula the game uses to determine these variables.
    Are you sure that this wasn't because of story events? I was certain that Ramza starts at 70/70 as well. The few dialog options in the game (like deciding whether to Save Algus or Destroy the Death Corps) can permanently alter Brave by a couple points.