Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm surprised so many people hate this song...

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy I'm surprised so many people hate this song...

One my main pasions in life, is my very varied taste in music. The only time there's a singer or band that hasn't done at least one song that I like is because I haven't heard it yet. Sometimes when I like a song it's because I simply like it, and other times there's something about the song that draws me to it - sometimes it gets played during something important to me, or maybe the lyrics speak to me personally. I will delve into music from any decade of any genre, which is why my current radio station is very varied in what it plays (trust me, sometimes the songs are obvious hits, while other times they're really obscure).

For this song it was a few things that made me realize I loved it, the first being it's a sample (that's when you use part of an older song to make your song - it is not the same as covering, which is when you litterally sing someone elses song), as much as I love originallity - I am absolutley facinated with sampling, I always love hearing them, and if the orginal song was one of my favorites (which this one wasn't) I love the sample even more. Also, while sampling is less original than writing a song which is 100% your own, I find sampling to be still fairly original, creative and artistic - remember, you're still technically doing your own song. It's just artistic way of addapting another song.

The second thing I love about this song is that the lyrics actually reflect stuff about my view on life. I am very passonate about things I like, and while I accept that not everyone likes the same thing, "Haters" really need to shut up at times. There's plenty of things that I flatout can't stand, but I don't search for places where the fans are gathered just so I can go all "How could anyone be a fan of this?!" on them. It's pathetic attention seaking - simple hating something is okay, being hater is not, in my eyes. This is basically what this song says, just be true to the things you like, and stop caring what the haters think of you. Whether you like this song or not, you should at least appreciate how easy the lyrics are to relate to - I think there's been a moment like that for all of us.

Thirdly, while the choruses stood out the most at first (and the end as well) the verses have a pretty fun sounding beat to it, so I just like the song.

As the song itself points out, haters are gonna hate - but why are there so many?!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Hmmm. Well, first of all, as a song, that was terrible. Sorry, but it was. I'm not saying you're a terrible person for liking it, just stating my opinion. Why should positive opinions be any more valid than negative ones? Two sides to the same coin.

As to your question, both songs (this song you linked, and the original song that it refers to) antagonized the haters, challenged them, basically invited them to hate on the song. How could anyone possibly be surprised at the reaction?

The web and other parallel technological advancements allow just about anybody to show off their shet to everyone in the world, or at least anyone willing to take a look. This means the potential for lots of attention. Lots of attention means the potential for lots of praise or lots of hate, or both. If a person doesn't want to be criticized they shouldn't do things that invite criticism.

Blog Entries

MJN SEIFER, you are my favourite member.

there was a picture here

I can't see this song as being simply about liking what you like, and not letting people bother you.

"You can't stop looking at me, you can't stop clicking me" and so on and forth, implying that these haters have on obsession with her. Paired with the chorus,
    "Swagger Jagger, Swagger Jagger, you should get some of your own". This song is implying the reason people hate on this song because they are jealous.

No, it CAN'T be because of the massive overuse of the the words Swagger and McJagger lately, or just swagger in general, repetitive nature of both the lyrics and music, the shear antagonistic nature of the song, or the freakishly out of place 'Get on the floor, get, get, get on the floor' line that has NOTHING to do with the rest of the songs meaning no matter which one of us is right, or lyrics thrown in like 'I got my Swagger in check', which is just her saying she is awesome on top of all this.

Nope, none if these reasons are why I hate the song, it's because I'm jealous.

It's a song that straight out says smurf you for hating on this song. Well smurf this song for giving me the finger right out of the gate. Yes, I am in fact a hater. I will bitch about what I don't like in music. The fact that she released a song to the public puts it up to the full extent of every ones criticism. I will agree to an extent on 'sometimes haters need to shut up', but only to the extent that you shouldn't go up to some one, unprovoked, and start telling them while the music they are listening to is bad, or in the internets case spam their messages and what not. On an open forum where a topic is started however? Yes, I will hate on it till my hearts desire.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

We are his albacore. The bait is just too delicious.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

This thread seems familiar somehow.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's because he had a similar thread about "Friday."

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

First of all, thank you for the mature responses. Second, I don't mind people hating the song, I was trying to find out why it didn't touch our generation. Simply not liking a song because you don't like how it sounds is fine. I am in no way saying "a possertive comment should outshine a negative comment", I am fully appreciative of other people opinions, I am always careful what I say. Like I say the "Haters" I (and this song) refers to are just people who hate for attention, even if they genuinly do hate whatever they hate, they're main purpose is to point it out to the fans, knowing that they are going to react. They're not just doing what you guys are doing, and saying "Sorry, in my opinion (such and such) isn't that great." or even "No offence, but I really can't stand (such and such)". which is perfectly acceptale online behavior (and offline for that matter). No, they're the guys who are invading our forums with troll like comments, they're there ones who upload a stamp on DeviantArt which anti-(such and such), and purposley put it in the (such and such) section, so the fans can see it - and then defend their opinion when the fans react by acting like they tracked him/her down, when no, they just searched for pictures of their favorite show/movie/game, and instead got that. If you have to promote your hate of something on DeviantArt fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't want the fans to flame you, don't stick it right where they're going to see it!

So, I don't mind people hating this song, or anything that I like deep down. If something has a nostaligic hold (which this song doesn't) or has some kind of emotional attachment to me (which this song doesn't really) I tend to take it personally sometimes. But I don't mind people hating things, so if I came across that way, I'm sorry.

Thank you for answering me, though everyone - I guess the song does in someway provoke the hate, so thank you for pointing that out. Also, Neo Cracker also makes some good points, and maybe that is the case. Personally I didn't interperate the song to be doing what you said, but maybe it is in away. I may be wrong, but I kind of talk the whole "You can't stop ____ing me" (that wasn't meant to look the way it does...) to mean more that they can't stop showing her things rather than being obsessed with her completly, but maybe it's just my desire to have a song that does, what I thought this song to do that I looked at it with my own version. If that is the case I appologise for this thread, but will continue to love this song, as I just like how it sounds, if you don't like it that's perfectly fine, as you've explained it to me. But don't think I'm saying you need my permition to hate something - it's just there's very few songs I actually hate, so to me they have to do something really bad.

Sorry if I offended anyone though.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Very familiar. Also, it's evident you're not from the UK if you can honestly make a thread like this without burning your face with rage
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

FFXIV Character

I love it when I can't tell if someone is trolling or not. It's...pleasurably painful.

If you're being serious MJN, I don't think you offended anyone, I think we can all agree on how annoying attention-whoring trolls on the internet can be.

Blog Entries

Yes, I am being serious, and yes I am from the UK.

Thanks if I haven't offended anyone. Trust me, I would never troll anyone, epsecially not here - I love this forum to much, to risk anything.

FFXIV Character

That's exactly what someone would tell me if they were trolling me.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah but MJN SEIFER isn't like that. He legit man.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    First of all, thank you for the mature responses. Second, I don't mind people hating the song, I was trying to find out why it didn't touch our generation. Simply not liking a song because you don't like how it sounds is fine. I am in no way saying "a possertive comment should outshine a negative comment", I am fully appreciative of other people opinions, I am always careful what I say. Like I say the "Haters" I (and this song) refers to are just people who hate for attention, even if they genuinly do hate whatever they hate, they're main purpose is to point it out to the fans, knowing that they are going to react. They're not just doing what you guys are doing, and saying "Sorry, in my opinion (such and such) isn't that great." or even "No offence, but I really can't stand (such and such)". which is perfectly acceptale online behavior (and offline for that matter). No, they're the guys who are invading our forums with troll like comments, they're there ones who upload a stamp on DeviantArt which anti-(such and such), and purposley put it in the (such and such) section, so the fans can see it - and then defend their opinion when the fans react by acting like they tracked him/her down, when no, they just searched for pictures of their favorite show/movie/game, and instead got that. If you have to promote your hate of something on DeviantArt fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't want the fans to flame you, don't stick it right where they're going to see it!

So, I don't mind people hating this song, or anything that I like deep down. If something has a nostaligic hold (which this song doesn't) or has some kind of emotional attachment to me (which this song doesn't really) I tend to take it personally sometimes. But I don't mind people hating things, so if I came across that way, I'm sorry.

Thank you for answering me, though everyone - I guess the song does in someway provoke the hate, so thank you for pointing that out. Also, Neo Cracker also makes some good points, and maybe that is the case. Personally I didn't interperate the song to be doing what you said, but maybe it is in away. I may be wrong, but I kind of talk the whole "You can't stop ____ing me" (that wasn't meant to look the way it does...) to mean more that they can't stop showing her things rather than being obsessed with her completly, but maybe it's just my desire to have a song that does, what I thought this song to do that I looked at it with my own version. If that is the case I appologise for this thread, but will continue to love this song, as I just like how it sounds, if you don't like it that's perfectly fine, as you've explained it to me. But don't think I'm saying you need my permition to hate something - it's just there's very few songs I actually hate, so to me they have to do something really bad.

Sorry if I offended anyone though.
    I don' think you offended anyone.

However, I do have a song that I feel prevays the message of listening to the things you like, even if other people disagree.

Gorillaz 19/2000 Soulchild Remix - YouTube

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this thread is meant to be sarcastic then you deserve a ciddie. If you are being serious then this video will suffice as my answer: Really?