Thread: Your hometown!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default Your hometown!

Let us talk about our homes! Or not, if you don't want a bunch of strangers knowing where you live. That's cool too. Mostly I just wanted an excuse to post all of these awesome pictures I found of my own city:

Lots of pictures

The water gardens by the art museum!

Just a couple of blocks away from the office

But the prettiest thing in town is what I like to call the ROYAL RAINBOW! and you should all check it out because it's the coolest thing ever.
    Videos: Harbor Bridge Lights - Corpus Christi, TX | Corpus Christi Caller-Times

So far I have not driven on it when the lights are changing colors, but this is probably a good thing because I would totally end up killing myself like "ooooh pretty liiiights".

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I can't follow that. My town is a dirty drug filled hovel comparatively.

EDIT: that bridge is awesome

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bombs and sectarian violence

I still love Belfast though.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will totally take some awesome pictures of my tiny hometown in about dour months when it's springtime and lovely.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

My brother took these pictures of our fantastic town... which I love. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world. Click to enlarge.

You can actually see the hospital in which I work, in the third picture. It's the large building on the left, with the sun shining down upon it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (88.1 KB, 11 view)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.5 KB, 12 view)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.3 KB, 13 view)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (37.1 KB, 10 view)

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'll take some damn good photos when I get back home, don't worry!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll follow that up, but I'm lazy so you only get two.

smurfing huge

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm in Bozeman, Montana and it's my favorite place in the world. It's also the best place in the world because it's where the humans and Vulcans will make first contact on April 5, 2063.

It will probably happen somewhere around here:

FFXIV Character

Love it, Pike. That's gorgeous.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

My hometown is famous for being named for its suprising number of Mechanics, for birthing Juliard dropout and Pop C-lister Jason Mraz, and for being the site of the infamous Tractor Supply Store Emo Kid Ax Assault of '08. Oh, and several incredibly bloody Civil War battles.

Mechanicsville VA, that backwards little town with bad roads and militant traffic cops where you stop for gas on your roadtrip to Washington DC.

...But seriously, my hometown celebrates easter with the Good Friday Mudbog, and every year at Christmas, Santa makes his rounds on a firetruck through the suburbs. Okay, the latter is pretty effing awesome.

My hometown is so insignificant that some of my friends were listed on Wikipedia as "notable residents" for completely random reasons for a few months before anyone decided that it was important enough to fix. The only real point of interest in the town was the Bat Signal that was once painted on the water tower, but that was done away with several years ago.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was just reminiscing about the local cheapo movie theater that closed a couple of years back.

Anyway, many pictures

The old iron bridge that was replaced in 1998. My friend wrote a short essay about why it should be preserved, but it's still lying in someone's field as far as I know.

The other bridge that allows you to get to town from the highway or interstate. Many 18-wheelers ignore the sign stating that this is a short bridge and end up jack-knifing. Oops!

The local museum and landmark, a.k.a. where everyone gets their graduation and prom pictures taken. It's called Potts Inn and served as a stagecoach stop back in the Old Days.

In front of Potts Inn is this brick sign. It's not significant in and of itself, but rather because in 1997 during the town's centennial, a time capsule was buried there. I'm just waiting for May 2047 because I have no idea who put the time capsule together or even what went into it. I was just there when it was buried.

This is not exactly my hometown, but I was born in this city, and they're practically connected anyway. In the 1970s, they built two nuclear reactors. One of which has this gorgeous landscape-defining cooling tower, the other cooling via lake water. They built the lake to service the nuclear plant, incidentally. Several neighborhoods were submerged according to my dad, and in places you can find roads leading under water. If I ever learn to scuba dive and have access to gear, I'd like to go exploring down there.

In order to build a lake, they had to get water from somewhere. The obvious source was the Arkansas River. So they built a dam and a series of locks for boats to be able to traverse the water way. I spent a lot of time as a kid at the Lock and Dam watching a little boat go into this great concrete locker. If they were going upstream, you wouldn't be able to see them as the water level was so low. Gradually the water level would rise and they could go on their way, but I dont' ever remember being patient enough to watch the whole process.

Here's a map detailing just what happens when you dam a river. Just know that every blue area is at the same height or lower, contiguously. The green areas at the mid-bottom are the parks. My town is to the east, another town is to the west. The lake is named after that town >:[ jerks

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I lived in the area between Astoria and Maspeth, Queens.

FFXIV Character

This sums up my hometown

Broken, dilapidated, dead.

Inexplicably, though, I love this place.

Blog Entries

My hometown once was a great place to live. Once the 80's hit and manufacturing slowed down in the US in went down hill. Goodyear left and left many people without jobs and hope. t became a drug and criminal haven and still for the most part is. Most of my friends have spent time in prison for various drug/violent acts and there is still little hope for anything other than a gas station/ grocery store job. Sad for a place that was once the Capitol of the state and the birthplace of the state.

this is what most people of my area know Windsor for:
    the largest housing project in Northern New England.
    Attached Images Attached Images