Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about jobs you've had, Eyeson.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Reading about all of your guys' job-related exploits is super interesting!

Here's mine, for anyone who cares:

Bozeman Inn - this was my first "real" job. I was still in high school (and later freshman year of college) and worked as a housekeeper where I made beds, cleaned rooms and stuff. Lasted a little over a year and then I left due to scheduling conflicts (and because the job sucked). Made $7/hr.

Target - Worked here for three years. Started as a cashier, then got thrown into Food Ave, Guest Service Desk, and finally the Photo Lab. By the time I left I could do anything they wanted me to do on the front end and the managers loved me for it. Most of the job sucked but the Photo Lab was actually pretty great. I quit because I decided to go jobless senior year of college so I could focus on final projects and stuff. Started at minimum wage ($6.50 back then) but ended at $9/hr.

GameStop - Worked here for about four or five months. Quit because I wasn't a big fan of management and because I was getting no hours (there were weeks when I was only scheduled for one or two six-hour days). $7/hr.

PetSmart - Worked here for three years. Stressful but I loved it. I was a Pet Care Lead which meant I was in charge of taking care of the animals and telling people that you can't put a goldfish in a bowl. This job had a ridiculously steep learning curve because you had to learn about, for example, over a hundred species of tropical fish, what they eat, how they interact, etc. but once I had it down it was glorious. Started at $7/hr, ended at $9.44/hr. The only reason I quit is because of a family emergency that dragged me out to WA state.

Sears - I worked here for a month short of a year. I was a sales associate who sold people things like riding mowers, power tools, auto accessories, etc. I was terrible at it, mostly because I am a terrible salesman (I don't like being pushy). This was a commission-based job so on good days I could make up to $11-$12/hr but really I was probably averaging about $9.50. I quit because it was a 45 minute drive away (and because I was terrible at it.)

OfficeMax - I had this job for three weeks! I quit because I was given the chance to move back to Montana and I jumped on it. I enjoyed this job while I had it, though. $9/hr.

Kmart - This is where I work now. I'm a Service Desk associate which means I'm basically in charge of the front end and I have to keep track of money, herd the cashiers around, solve problems, etc. I make $9.50/hr. It's not bad when I'm not dealing with customers; unfortunately that's a part of the job description.

Ya'll can see why I want to get out of retail. Unfortunately, as much as I LOVE Montana, there isn't much here in the way of jobs. So I keep coming back to retail because it's really all we have here, and because I'm so experienced with it by this point that I'm pretty much guaranteed a promotion within weeks anytime I get a new retail job. Anyways, mostly at this point I'm just looking for something that can sustain me as a day job while I work on getting more books published.
    Last edited by Pike; 01-15-2012 at 02:15 PM.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never done retail. I applied to Apple, but didn't get it because they basically want people who don't know their products. Go figure. Remember that next time you ask anyone for help at the Genius Bar.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Two retail jobs I always thought might be interesting would be running a plant nursery or a used book/record store.

Working with different plants, and maintaining that sort of thing sounds like hard work. It also sounds enjoyable for some reason.

The used book/store music store is for when I'm old and retired, so I can shuffle around with my can like a crotchety old man. I'll yell at kid's taste in music and tell them to go listen to Annihilator.

I've had quite a colourful job history so far: gardener, construction worker, librarian, museum guard/guide, and most recently a salesman at the government-owned liquor store.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Cashier at a grocery store
    Slave at a festival (counting money)
    Foreman at the docks
    Terminal Expeditor at the docks
    Receptionist at a hotel
    Accountant

the ones at the docks were summer jobs, the festival was a 4 day thing, the hotel and grocery store were part time jobs, and the last one is a full time job that I started last week. Probably going to stick around doing that for the rest of my life or something.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Here's the scoop: I'm working for a sinking ship retailer and they're cutting my hours all over the place.
    I didn't know you worked aboard the Costa Concordia! Was it scary when it started going down? :o No wonder they're cutting your hours though, the thing's half underwater.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised nobody's posted "I've got a *job* for ya " yet.
    Hey Pike. I've got a *job* for ya.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    Cashier at a grocery store
    Slave at a festival (counting money)
    Foreman at the docks
    Terminal Expeditor at the docks
    Receptionist at a hotel
    Accountant

the ones at the docks were summer jobs, the festival was a 4 day thing, the hotel and grocery store were part time jobs, and the last one is a full time job that I started last week. Probably going to stick around doing that for the rest of my life or something.
    Accountant :o
    next best thing is like a CFA or somesuch

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

My first job was at TJ Maxx, when I was 16/17. I did that for about a year. Then I worked for a few months at Gamestop, before my switching over to my office job as a customer service troubleshooter for a major beverage company. I started that in 2008. It's now 2012 and I gave my notice of leaving as of Friday. I'm starting a position in Manhattan as a copywriting/digital media intern for a digital consultancy firm for the next three months, and I will hoping (if they like me), have a full time paid position at this place upon graduation.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I collect dead animals and give them to the sanitation department for five bucks a pop.

Sometimes I eat the ones with fresh meat still on them.

Signature by rubah. I think.

I've had a few jobs my first job was a receptionist for a fencing and landscaping company and I was never trained or given any work to do and when I asked if there was anything I could do they left me sat there doing nothing so they fired me for "Doing nothing but sit on the internet and I should ask for more work to do" I constantly asked for work but they said there was nothing I can do so I gave in dicks ¬_¬.

I worked at a takeaway place for some extra cash and they were from turkey and they constantly hit on me stared at my boobs asked if I would go out with them until I quit XD

My job at the moment is working for a care consultancy company on an apprenticeship for £2.70 an hour as a apprentice administrator while doing my level 3 in business admin. I basically pick up after the accountant and the lazy administrator who sits on facebook all day who gets £6.50 an hour. So I do her work she does not have 'time' to do, also clean the toilets the office and the kitchen and get yelled at for "I asked you to send this guarantied next day delivery!" "I couldn't because you didn't have enough money in the petty cash tin." "You should of come back, when I ask you to do something you should smurfing do it!" (Even though if I did come back there still wouldn't be enough money in the tin but she seemed intent on going down with the ship). The company is going bust so I may have to look for another job soon XD

(I wish this was exaggeration but it's not, all true experiences... I have bad luck I once played monopoly and rolled ones and twos the entire game -_-.

My first job was working for my uncle at his plant nursery with a side job working for his landscaping business. Both jobs sucked and the pay was pretty atrocious (100/week for 63 hours per week; Sunday - Saturday, 8am - 5pm). I was 14 and it was a short summer job while my family moved from Oregon back to California following my mom's death. His excuse for the low pay was that the rest went towards room and board. My excuse is that he was a douchebag.

My second job was for an environmental waste disposal company. I was in charge of receiving, sorting, and filing order forms in the appropriate place. It was a placeholder until my next job and only lasted a few months. The pay was fine for a part-time job and the people were nice enough.

My third, and most recent job, was a paper pushing monkey in the military. It sucked and I hated it which is why I'm no longer in the military.

Now I'm a lazy bum and student. I also do a small amount of construction, woodworking/metalsmithing, and 'coding' work when necessary but that isn't really a job despite it being paid work.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh well I'm going to have to clarify my current job. It seems I do not work in the flagship branch of a record store company which is slowly beginning to fail after all. No what it seems to be is that I work on the Titanic and it's already post Iceberg, it's a matter of time til this ship is gone. Time to make like I'm first class or a rat and abandon ship!

I've only worked in restaurants. With my experience, a retail store won't even touch my resume. However, restaurants can sometimes be a little more lenient, as it's fairly easy. Being a server or waiter can be good if you need good money. But can also be very stressful...

My most recent job was at a retirement community. It was an upscale one with a fine dining room where I was a server. It was absolute hell. Old people are much worse than you think.

OMG I jut noticed you live Montana. I love Montana. I have family that lives in Lewistown. Try finding a job there.

If you still live in Bozeman have you thought of attending University?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I had babysitting jobs but my first real job was at a Movie theater in 08
    Then I was a waitress at a little cafe Fall 2010 - Spring 2011
    I also worked at a Convenient store from Fall 2010-summer 2011
    I have been working at a nursery in a church since Aug 2010
    I worked as a secretary at a Real estate and Auction company from early spring 2011- winter 2011
    And Gamestop from well actually this month is a full year there now

Yeah I held a lot of jobs at the same time. I find it amusing that the three people work at gamestop are girls on this forum. Who's your hardcore gamers now