Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Are Now In Charge of the Remake of Your Favorite Game.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Moomba You Are Now In Charge of the Remake of Your Favorite Game.

...what do you do?

inb4 "Nothing".

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Turn Xcom into an FPS, and make SMAC a Sims style game where you create your own Mind Worm, get a job, and spawn some children in the planetary fungus.

Wait a second, I think some sick twisted part of me might actually like to see that last one.

But in all seriousness, I'd make some changes to FFVI's battle system to make it actually challenging, give it an Amano style 2D facelift and end the changes right there.

...That is a smurfing hard task.

Looking only to games that don't have remakes or ports already coming out in the near future, I'll go for Brigandine.

1) Rebalance the different countries, some of them are blatently stronger then others.
    2) Expand on the story.
    3) More available quests to send generals on.
    4) Re-balance the monsters. A few are just plain worthless.
    5) Multiplayer mode and online.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Finish Xenogears' second disc to the way it was meant to be, add a couple new dungeons and bosses, give the graphics a bit of a facelift, maybe remaster the music for better sound quality. I wouldn't mind making it harder too, maybe add some new Gear parts and deathblows to compensate.

And then everyone hates me for ruining it.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

take the gameplay elements and looks from kingdom hearts and put them into oblivion, and add as many realistic things as possible, broken limbs, hospitals, people giving birth, marriage. But not bathrooms. I don't need my character to constantly have to pee. Also stuff like organizing bands of bandits to raid skingrad, summoning evil hordes, fus ro dah, horse races, diseases such as rabies, execcutions for high bounties, digging like minecraft in the desert, the ability to make houses, and as good of graphics as rage. but nothing else from rage.

I would also add being able to adopt animals and name them and a toffleable online mode.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Final Fantasy Tactics
    A lot of the stuff like bad translation was fixed in the WotL release, so I'll try to keep on the actual changes other than fixes.
    - There needs to be some balancing of skills to bring the overpowered ones a little more in line with the rest of the game, stuff like Blade Grasp, Gained JP UP, & Move+3.
    - Add some sort of extra content for maxed out parties. Deep Dungeon is a great extra dungeon, but far too easy with an optimized party.
    - Re-balance charge times to scale. As the game goes on player and enemy speeds keep increasing making charge times continually take longer in relation to a players turn.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make FF9 exactly the same, except with some of the ignored characters and Trance stuff properly fleshed out.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Stiltzquin View Post
    Make FF9 exactly the same, except with some of the ignored characters and Trance stuff properly fleshed out.
    This plus:
    • Make battles and loading times faaaster (although keep the current battle speeds as an option in config)
    • Tasteful graphics improvements (no change in art direction, just graphics quality)
    • More Chocobo H&C, more Tetra Master, more optional places to visit
    • More Quina.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    ...what do you do?

inb4 "Nothing".
    Oh, I wouldn't do 'nothing.' I would cancel the project.

But seriously, if I had to remake FFVII?

Graphics: Barely update the graphics a little at a time until we come to a level that looks better but still maintains that charm from 1997. I'm assuming it would be somewhere around Crisis Core. Once that's set, have a large team of artists rendering the original 2d artwork into 3d environments, where you can rotate the camera to 4 viewpoints, similar to Xenogears. The camera movements during battles would also be redone from the ground up, taking a serious, thought-out approach to what makes great action camera usage. Particular battles throughout the game would also have unique angles and movements, such as the Rufus fight atop Shinra HQ to show helicopters swirling around the skyscraper, or the jenova fights, to fit the whole monster in the shots.

Music: Get Uematsu back in the studio to remaster it similar to Tactics Ogre's new arrangement on the PSP. I would want all the sound to be updated, but I would want them to find a way to still have that synthesizer "feel" to it. That'd probably be a pretty hard thing to pull off. Uematsu said he would only work on the project if they didn't change it from the ground up and I'm inclined to let him do that. Maybe add a little things here and there to flesh out the songs.

Sound: Sound effects can be completely redone, but I would like them to evoke the sounds of the original. Also this would be mastered for dts surround sound format. I would also have an option in the menu to have the original score play, a la FFIV on PSP.

Gameplay: the very first thing we would change is the scaling of the enemy difficulty throughout the game, so that as players progress through the story, the game doesn't get that breaking where it's easy for the rest of it at around the end of disc 1. Next I would probably add in more materia to incorporate abilities from other Final Fantasy's into the game, with a focus on Independent and Command materia so as to reinforce the fact that equipping materia doesn't mean you're making a spellcaster. This would all then be balanced so that the enemy encounters remain challenging throughout. Sapphire WEAPON would also be a new side boss, missing its head and everything, which would be incorporated into its back story as to why it's there. Might also add in some new armlets with little different abilities so as to add some variety to the player options. And you'd get to see the armlets more detailed too!

Story: There would be a disclaimer when you boot up the game, after the publisher screen but before the main menu: "Final Fantasy VII is a remake of the 1997 game of the same name, and contains no references or acknowledgments to the plots of "Compilation of FFVII" titles.

It is only canonical to the original."

Platforms: PS3 and Vita, with ability to transfer save files between the two and upload character and party configurations up to the game's own kind of social network with completion rates and little bars that show you how much of each character and materia a player has received xp for. A slightly reduced version of the game may be available on PSP.

The overall theme of the remake, though, would be to maintain looks, sound, and feel of the original.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    make SMAC a Sims style game where you create your own Mind Worm, get a job, and spawn some children in the planetary fungus.
    I would play the hell out of this.

Anyways, guess I'll answer my own question. I'd give SMAC a graphical update akin to Civ 4/5 (probably 4, it has more charm to me) but I would keep the whole obnoxious color scheme. The whole map is going to be pinkish-red with fungus and it's going to be glorious.

Keeping all of the quotes and story is a necessity. I'd add a couple of cutscenes, customized per faction, in place of the wall-of-text story interludes, but they would cover the same ground as the original interludes.

I'd update the gameplay a little bit to be more in line with Civ 4 but it wouldn't be a complete overhaul. I'd just want to tweak a few things here and there. I'd also update the unit customization to be a little more intuitive.

I'd update the sounds and music but I'd want them to evoke the originals.

TLDR I want it to be the Planetfall mod for Civ 4, except more like SMAC than like Civ.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd also update the unit customization to be a little more intuitive.
    I'd want the customization to not just be more intuitive, but not have it try and get me to completely update every type of unit that I can make every single time I discover new technology.

Also, it'd likely be a complete pain in the ass to do and take an absurdly long time, but I'd like to update it so that the possible units were a bit more unique to each faction. Sure you can all discover the same technology, but it would be nice if the units reflected their faction a bit more than simply being carbon copies for each faction. Kind of like how existing military's and countries can take the exact same technologies and implement them in slightly different ways.

Of course such a thought is little more than a dream when you consider the number of possible combinations that arise. Basically take all possible combinations for all of the factions that exist right now and multiply it by, what was it, 8-10 factions? More for the expansion? My art department would hate me.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

Story: There would be a disclaimer when you boot up the game, after the publisher screen but before the main menu: "Final Fantasy VII is a remake of the 1997 game of the same name, and contains no references or acknowledgments to the plots of "Compilation of FFVII" titles.

It is only canonical to the original."
    Of all the FF7 remake nonsense I have heard tossed around this is the only one I would actually be interested in buying.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Front Mission 3 remade? Holy tit cow that'd be dangerous.

First up graphically the game was always a little weak. Updating these to full 1080 whilst keeping the stylings of the original game. A big change would be that instead of 2D art screens with text options I would render each environment so for example the construction site at the start of the game's Alisa story line becomes a 3D environment to explore, adverts on posters etc nearby could provide the player with links to websites they could visit in the games simulated internet mode. FMV's would also get an overhauling.

Second up, I would possibly offer the player a couple of extra pilots in certain missions, there are some which in all honesty without grinding for months on the simulator can be nigh on impossible without a lot of luck. The extra pilots however would not be able to pilot Wanzers keeping the "wanzer squad" to 4. These additional pilots would be able to pilot a variety of captured helicopters or ground attack vehicles. There would be an optional super hard difficulty available as a new game+ option. Players would possibly find it pretty useful to have some extra back up on these. However to balance it out, should a party use a "reserve pilot" in a non-wanzer vehicle and the pilot is either taken out or still aboard said machine when it is taken out then they are out of the next battle as recovering from injury. Otherwise the additional pilots could upset the balance of the game too much. The only exception is missions requiring 2 squads, the player will only be able to deploy 2 squads of 4 and if a pilot is "injured" then they will still be deploy able in those missions. A reserve pilot may also be deployed on foot carrying a heavier weapon such as a rocket launcher or sub machine gun. Whilst an SMG would be weak against armored units like Wanzers it would help with ground forces or ejected enemy pilots in battle since I have many a time seen an ejected pilot get the better of 2 Wanzers for over 15 turns. Such weapons would be abandoned by the pilot if they chose to enter a surrendered or vacant enemy unit, Wanzer or otherwise.

Third up I'd work on the musical score of the game, I didn't ever feel like it had the magic of other Square games of the time, instead of Uematsu in the studio however I would rather bring someone like Takanori Goto (Ace Combat 04 - Distant Thunder) on board and get some nice guitar riffs laid down. Nothing screams 50ft tall robots busting the trout outta each other more than electric guitars! For some areas like walking in to bars I would have actual lounge music songs playing etc.

Fourth up, I'd expand the simulated internet area of the game, introduce more hacking sub missions, more BBS sites and make the computer usage feel a lot more realistic, possibly tie this in to it's own real internet connection where players could download "Wanzer blueprints" for other players different designs of Wanzer, so if I made something totally awesome instead of telling someone how to make it they could download my blueprint in game whilst playing from a certain website and examine it, give the game actual keyboard support to make this easier. There would also be a lot more simulator missions, and instead of just "here's an environment filled with enemy units, kill them all" I would also include different missions so that the simulator becomes something akin to the "battle chest" mode of Advance Wars, this will be expanded upon by DLC packs and provide the player with a better experience of grinding to get those much needed S rank weapon classes.

For my fifth magic trick I'd introduce an optional co-op story line where two to four players may work together on a series of missions. These missions would not include the story line missions but would tell side stories set among the many side conflicts and wars stirred up. Possibly follow some of Purple Haze squad's missions etc.

Sixth, I would include achievements/trophies, whilst the original didn't have these, they can be good fun and the idea of having something stupid like "complete a mission (story, simulator or co-operative) where all pilots are outside of their Wanzers" could be quite the Benny Hill moment in terms of comedic gold

Seventh, sit back and enjoy the results

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    make SMAC a Sims style game where you create your own Mind Worm, get a job, and spawn some children in the planetary fungus.
    I would play the hell out of this.

Anyways, guess I'll answer my own question. I'd give SMAC a graphical update akin to Civ 4/5 (probably 4, it has more charm to me) but I would keep the whole obnoxious color scheme. The whole map is going to be pinkish-red with fungus and it's going to be glorious.

Keeping all of the quotes and story is a necessity. I'd add a couple of cutscenes, customized per faction, in place of the wall-of-text story interludes, but they would cover the same ground as the original interludes.

I'd update the gameplay a little bit to be more in line with Civ 4 but it wouldn't be a complete overhaul. I'd just want to tweak a few things here and there. I'd also update the unit customization to be a little more intuitive.

I'd update the sounds and music but I'd want them to evoke the originals.

TLDR I want it to be the Planetfall mod for Civ 4, except more like SMAC than like Civ.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz Rantz Revolution View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiltzquin View Post
    This plus:
    • Make battles and loading times faaaster (although keep the current battle speeds as an option in config)
    • Tasteful graphics improvements (no change in art direction, just graphics quality)
    • More Chocobo H&C, more Tetra Master, more optional places to visit
    • More Quina.
    You guys took the words right out of my mouth.

If not that, then I would love a full photorealistic real-time HD version of Riven. With more areas to explore, more history of the D'ni incorporated (since they've fully fleshed out lore for an entire universe since Riven and the original three books), and more puzzles.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."