Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivalice

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Ivalice

All right, so Ivalice (the continent/world area/locale) is in a lot of Squeenix games. It's in FFT, FF12, Vagrant Story, and I guess any spin-off of of of them games there.

Why do you think there's been such a connection to the place that it gets revisited so often? Usually, the unnamed (and sometimes named) worlds in RPG's don't connect like this. It's actually pretty interesting, and I hope it leads into some sort of giant MMO thing eventually.

Mostly I just want to chill with Ashley Riot again I mean is this so bad to ask?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Reusing Ivalice was cool when it was just FFT and Vagrant story. Then they let FFTA2 and FF12 in on the party and I don't think so highly of it anymore.

In all honesty I really don't see what setting FF12 in Ivalice accomplished other than pissing me off.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

I want more Vagrant Story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

A lot of the stylistic elements were the same in the games; the non-hume species for example, or the style of music, and most importantly, the lack of noses.

Edit: perhpas it's an evolutionary thing. Maybe Ivalice just stinks really friggin' badly, so the residents had to evolve. Except for the banthas or whatever they are. Maybe they like the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    the lack of noses.
    Vagrant Story had noses!

Contributions

the non-hume species for example
    Which is interesting because FFT & Vagrant story featured neither of these, yet they have become central to the mythos of the Tag-Alongs. (Which is what I will officially be referring to FF12 & FFTA2 as from now on.)

I have really enjoyed all entries that involve Ivalice, most notably Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy 12. I hope they can make more games involving it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't really notice the connection between the games, except for XII and the TA games since they feature similar races.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think theme wise, a lot of the locales and music is very similar. Maybe it's because (with the exception of FF12) it is a rather medieval environment with magiks sprinkled throughout. If I remember right, Balthier shows up in the recent FFT editions, right? Him and Mustadio get into a fight on who's a cooler gun-guy?

Vagrant Story had noses!
    Obviously VS took place before the War of the Skunks, after which the evolution began.

Tip your waitress ever'b'dy!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I can't see their deeper rationale behind it but maybe it's just laziness so they can borrow elements and put it down to common settings.

Contributions

Balthier didn't really show up in FFT:WotL as anything other than an extra party member (much like Luso). He had a few lines of dialogue when you first encounter him, but he has zero bearing on the actual game. They just threw him in to add another aspect that made WotL worth purchasing if you already own FFT.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I see Ivalice as more of a thematic setting, where a mindset of moral ambiguity has lead to massive corruption and suffering. The main characters usually start off as a part of this mindset, but are eventually able to overcome its trappings and do the inherently right thing.

Personally I always love how a mythology carries over to other entries, especially if they're divided by hundreds or thousands of years. Like how the Magicite is very similar to the Zodiac Stones, of which there are also Zodiac Stones in the Ogre Battle saga. A lot of names and concepts also co-exist in both series, along with the theme I mentioned above, so I wouldn't be surprised if in Matsuno's head, all these games (Ivalice and Ogre Battle) existed on one world map, and we're just getting newer episodes of the latter under the guise of "Final Fantasy."

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Ivalice would feel more correct if they didn't claim that inbetween ta2 and tactics all the non humes die.

Also it would be better with ponies.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Ivalice would feel more correct if they didn't claim that inbetween ta2 and tactics all the non humes die.

Also it would be better with ponies.
    Agree on the ponies, but I think genocide is completely feasible in the world of Ivalice.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Also what happens to all the technology?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen