View Poll Results: Which Final Fantasy fighting game crossover would you like best?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • vs Dead or Alive

0 0%
  • vs Street Fighter

2 15.38%
  • vs Soul Calibur

7 53.85%
  • vs BlazBlue

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or BlazBlue?

Default Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or BlazBlue?

Since somebody else brought this up in a previous thread, I decided that I'd turn it into a separate topic. If Final Fantasy were to crossover with any fighting game franchise, which would you like best: Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or BlazBlue?
    Is that your final answer?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Considering most final fantasy games involve melee weapons, soul calibur sounds like the obvious choice.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Considering most final fantasy games involve melee weapons, soul calibur sounds like the obvious choice.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Often times, the time periods of Final Fantasy games aren't too far away from the 16-17th century world of Soul Calibur either.

-edit-
    Oh yeah, seeing as SC5 has got critical edge (supers) now, that would fit perfectly with things such as limit breaks/overdrives/desperation attacks.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Mirage and Gamblet are correct. You could potentially include fighters like Tifa and Zell and Yang etc into Dead or Alive/Street Fighter because their weapons are their fists and feet but you can't be realistic if you have Cloud walk in and start punching the smurf out of people. It just doesn't happen. Also Yoshimitsu in Tekken always annoyed me for NOT STABBING WHAT BUTTONS DO I PRESS

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Also Yoshimitsu in Tekken always annoyed me for NOT STABBING WHAT BUTTONS DO I PRESS
    You're doing it wrong.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Dead Fantasy as a game would be the trout!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Mirage and Gamblet are correct. You could potentially include fighters like Tifa and Zell and Yang etc into Dead or Alive/Street Fighter because their weapons are their fists and feet but you can't be realistic if you have Cloud walk in and start punching the smurf out of people. It just doesn't happen. Also Yoshimitsu in Tekken always annoyed me for NOT STABBING WHAT BUTTONS DO I PRESS
    Tifa could probably be included along with weapon-wielding opponents, considering the respectable length of the spikes/claws on some of her fighting gloves. Give her some sturdy gauntlets for her lower arms so that she can block weapons and you're good to go. This is how they incorporated Heihachi in Soul Calibur 2, after all. She would be a really close range fighter though, so she'll probably need some really fast dashes, tech crouches and high priority attacks in order to be balanced up against the others.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Devil Jin's moveset is available in V and the cc work fine despite not having any weapons fixated onto them. Not to mention Tifa and Zell also have the option of using magic too for long range if need be.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Tifa could probably be included along with weapon-wielding opponents, considering the respectable length of the spikes/claws on some of her fighting gloves. Give her some sturdy gauntlets for her lower arms so that she can block weapons and you're good to go. This is how they incorporated Heihachi in Soul Calibur 2, after all. She would be a really close range fighter though, so she'll probably need some really fast dashes, tech crouches and high priority attacks in order to be balanced up against the others.
    My point was more that fist fighters can easily transfer into weapon based games, but the reverse is not true. Weapon users make less sense when in pure hand to hand combat games.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Tatsunoko..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Didn't see that one coming
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Here's my personal analysis of these hypothetical crossovers:

Yes, Tatsunoko characters do use a lot of weapons (at least from what I've seen in Tatsunoko vs Capcom), and some characters in Marvel vs Capcom 3 (both regular and Ultimate editions included) also used weapons, such as Zero, Dante, Trish, Vergil, Strider, Frank West, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, and so on, even though the majority of the characters simply used their fists (some of them had weapons that only served as a supplement to their hand-to-hand combat, such as Captain America with his shield and, technically, Wolverine with his claws).

While most earlier Final Fantasy games were set in medieval times, more recent Final Fantasy games, particularly those by Tetsuya Nomura, are placed in a more modern setting. So while non-Nomura Final Fantasy games can generally go well with Soul Calibur, Nomura's Final Fantasy games may not mesh quite as well. Then again, we had Star Wars characters in IV, so that contradicts that, and also consider that the only two magical weapons in the series are the title sword, Soul Calibur, and its "nemesis," Soul Edge.

BlazBlue, as was its "spiritual predecessor," Guilty Gear, if you will, is set in a very futuristic world, presumably in the 22nd or 23rd century. It's possible that Nomura's Final Fantasy characters can mesh well with the BlazBlue characters, but none of the other, more "medieval" characters would mesh all that well.

Both Street Fighter and Dead or Alive are set in the modern world, but between the two, even though most of the characters from these two franchises don't use weapons, despite the existence of the non-canonical Dead Fantasy series (which I think needs a reboot if Monty Oum won't continue it), I would say that the former goes better with Final Fantasy, since there are lots of high-flying special moves that involve magical projectiles (or rather, spiritual energy or "chi/ki"). If there were to be a future "Square Enix vs Capcom" game in the works, I would imagine such a game to play similarly to the Marvel vs Capcom series. On the other hand, the whole Dead Fantasy thing was, for the most part, mainly about the girls (with the exception of Cloud and a few other guys in IV and V), and while the character models of Square Enix and Tecmo do have some degree of resemblance, I don't think that the fighting styles would mesh too well in an actual game, unless they added some Marvel vs Capcom and BlazBlue-style influences. Furthermore, the characters on the Final Fantasy side (with the exception of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts) all came from VII, VIII, and X, all of whom (including Kairi) were designed and created by Tetsuya Nomura, and no other Final Fantasy characters created by other Square Enix character designers were included (XIII didn't come out yet at that time).

As a side note, I should also point out two interesting facts:

The first fact: Just as the original Final Fantasy was a last-ditch effort to get Squaresoft out of the red, the first Dead or Alive game was also an all-or-nothing last chance effort to get Tecmo out of the red, and it wound up paying off.

The second fact: Both Final Fantasy and Street Fighter originated in 1987.

Overall, I think that all of these hypothetical crossovers could have potential, as long as they tweak certain aspects of the mechanics behind the fighting.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 04-02-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yoshimitsu is awesome because he can fly.

And Yoshimitsu was in both Tekken and Soul Calibur, right?

Anyway, perhaps Square Enix should allow Tecmo, Capcom, Namco, and Arc System Works to make one crossover each?