View Poll Results: Which character do you play more?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Serah

26 68.42%
  • Noel

12 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serah or Noel?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Serah or Noel?

Who do you find yourself controlling most of the time? At first I played Serah because she's the main character and her roles (RAV, MED, SAB) were ones that required a bit more user input than Noel's. But then Noel grew on me and I feel like he's more of a lead than she is. Serah's pretty annoying most of the time and I don't feel like she adds anything to the game. Noel however has a pretty strong personality and his characterization and voice acting is very good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Noel....Serah's not that annoying, but Noels VA and personality is alot better. Serah has the whole Japanese Melodrama after every chapter "Lightning... will I ever see you again"<--THAT GETS ANNOYING FAST! Serah's running animation was obviously made for the otaku crowd (the whole school girl run), but in some of the boss fights, i found myself switching my lead to Serah to access Esuna to get rid of the debuffs (Apparently AI doesn't deem this a priority). Other than that it was Noel thru most of the game.

PS. Del you shoulda probably made this thread have a poll

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, annoying is too strong a word. She's no Vanille for sure. She's just...bland? Uninteresting? Unimportant? I feel like Noel has a purpose in this story and Serah is just along for the ride to find her sister.

Quote Originally Posted by nirojan View Post
    PS. Del you shoulda probably made this thread have a poll
    Done!

Serah is my leader. I'm a female gamer though and I will admit that I always pick the female protagonist in games when given the choice.

I don't think Serah's bland. Yeah, so the reason she decided to go with Noel is because she wants to find her sister, sure. But her objective changes at a point in the storyline (SPOILER) after they look at the oracle drive with Hope at Yachas Massif, Serah turns to Noel and tells him that although she originally only wanted to find her sister, she now wants to save the future as well now. Serahalso develops into a character that was unsure of her ability to protect others nonetheless herself into someone that is more powerful and competent (both in ability and mentality). Yeah, her character isn't the most interesting ever, but it makes sense to go that route with Serah considering the fact that she is the younger, skinny, and girly-er sibling of a complete badass. lol So, I find Serah's search for strength intriguing enough. Lightning would be proud
    Last edited by Lamia; 02-05-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

I'm a dude and I used Noel as the leader for most of the game. I like his outfit and design, and I don't think Serah's outfit is very fitting of her character. She should have had a more conservative outfit with less skin showing like that school girl thing she had before. I don't tend to mind if a character has "sexy" clothing in general, I just don't think it fits Serah's character. It's kind of like how Yuna turned into a diva in X-2. I was scratching my head and thinking "yeah okay whatever..."

But, to be honest, the reason I use Noel isn't so much because I don't like looking at Serah. It's more that I like looking at Noel if ya know what I mean. Haha, he was just well designed and pretty much eye candy. Not just his costume looked great, but his appearance was strong and relaxing. He's a pretty charming character, all around. I was a bit disappointed to not see any strong male leads that I could really relate with in Final Fantasy XIII (Snow = dumb and annoying, Hope = emo but grows on you, Sahz = stereotypical comedy relief), so having Noel around this time was a huge relief for me. This is why I used him 95% of the time. Oddly enough, I think the 3 women of Final Fantasy XIII are more manly than their male companions. Haha, thank goodness they sent us Noel. He's the good kind of manly too. He's kind and courageous, and caring, and unselfish, and strong... and whoops there I go swooning again.

Okay, yeah. I'll end here by saying Noel was a really awesome character and Serah felt like an odd protagonist. I really liked her development throughout the game, but I still think she was sort of an odd character to choose to lead the game, and I'm not sure if she is entirely important to the plot just because of her particular "ability" in this game. Noel seemed to be the one leading them for the most part, and was much more closely connected to the events that were distorting the time line. I guess they threw Serah in so you could have a character to relate with that didn't know what was going on at all. This way you could learn with her.
    Last edited by ShineTheLion; 02-06-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Hmm I'm only a few hours in and hadn't realised you could change who you walk around as (if that's what you mean). So I have to say Serah.

And I think that makes sense. Serah is indeed quite a weak character, but it comes across to me as "her story". Noel clearly has his too, but I can't help feeling that it's secondary.

So I don't know which I'll control. As someone with 'a chocobo in both stables' though I tend to agree with the above that Noel is actually the better eye candy

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I feel like Serah's POV is better for someone who has already played FFXIII. I like Noel's character better though. Serah reminds me of FFX-2 Yuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I feel like Serah's POV is better for someone who has already played FFXIII. I like Noel's character better though. Serah reminds me of FFX-2 Yuna.
    I played FFXIII and I don't like Serah's POV very much. I think it is generally unconvincing that even though she is untrained in combat, she has instantaneously mastered the art of slaying the crap out of Caius and other monsters with her bowsword, just because "she can fight if she has to". I'm glad they didn't animate her doing any crazy moves, she mostly just uses the weapons in their most basic functions, so it is at least somewhat convincing, but I still never pictured Serah as the type of character to fight. Part of the beauty of her character in 13 was that she was sort of a moral support who was innocent of bloodshed, unlike the other protagonists. They've sort of thrown her character image out the window in exchange for a less convincing one here, much like they did to Yuna in her game's sequel.

Noel is mysterious and seems like he fell out of the Kingdom Hearts universe, but I feel his mystery is more compelling than Serah's contradictory character development.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I mean like, in Noel's POV it's more like "hey who are those people I've never heard of but should know about if I played FFXIII" in some parts of the game, not that she's the more likeable character

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I alternated a lot, so it's hard for me to pick. I'd say it would be close to 50/50, actually. Serah is nicer to look at, while Noel is a bit more amusing. But for me, I just loved Mog. Nothing was more fun than pressing L1 and making him lose his trout.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I tend to play Serah. She's more pleasant for me to look at. And I find Noel kinda bland. I just never find myself caring about him. I don't hate him like I did Little Bitch in the last game. But I don't care for him much either.

Overall, I think I'd rather this game had been about almost any of the characters from the previous game. Anyone but Hope.

Edit: This really should have been Lightning's game.
    Last edited by Eagle299; 03-05-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    It was tough work, carrying two hundred and twenty pounds of sociopath to the top of Gotham Towers~~ The hightest spot in the city. The scream alone is worth it.- Batman, The Dark Knight Returns.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Noel. Just felt more natural for me to control him.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle299 View Post
    I tend to play Serah. She's more pleasant for me to look at. And I find Noel kinda bland. I just never find myself caring about him. I don't hate him like I did Little Bitch in the last game. But I don't care for him much either.

Overall, I think I'd rather this game had been about almost any of the characters from the previous game. Anyone but Hope.

Edit: This really should have been Lightning's game.
    Say it again brother.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hope was great in this game. He was great in the last game too. You watch your mother die in front of you and then get branded as the thing you were taught to fear the most and we'll see how you react.

I'm glad Hope was the prior cast member with the largest role in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Hope was great in this game. He was great in the last game too. You watch your mother die in front of you and then get branded as the thing you were taught to fear the most and we'll see how you react.

I'm glad Hope was the prior cast member with the largest role in this game.
    Is this a rational analysis of Hope I see? I thought I was the only one.

At the start of the game I alternated between Noel and Serah a lot. Usually I'd stick to one leader for one area, then switch when I visited somewhere else for a change in perspective, but now having finished the game I mostly play as Noel since he's a pretty cool guy. And occasionally I'll switch to Serah because beach wear.