Thread: Saints row the third

Default Saints row the third

Was anyone else a little dissapointed by this game? Here is a link to zero punctuation's review of it which I agree with:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Row-The-Third

I remember a year or so ago when I read an article about it saying why they weren't showing it at last years e3 or something and said it was because they doing something radical and going somewhere far removed from stilwater and such.

None of which I agree with. Was the radical thing the purple dildo bat and kicking people in the balls?

It was an aliright game, just not as good as the second one. What do you guys think?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Steelport's not as good a city as Stilwater was. The main plot was pretty weirdly set up and I'm pretty sure they just plain forgot about 1/3 of the game's cutscenes, and Yahtzee's correct about how the absence of "Oh you are that guy please go and break 400 legs for me so I can buy a new slum" is a bit of a letdown.

However, the immediate access to crazy trout is one of the things SR3 does very right and Yahtzee is basically complaining that he's having too much fun too easily, because he is a tosspot.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    tosspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Tosspot is a British slang insult, which can mean, depending on the context, a drunkard, a masturbator, or an objectionable person.
    You guys have the best insults.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Seconding that.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

yes, but only in perhaps two respects:

1. what the smurf they did to johnny gat
    2. less love than in SR2 in regards to missions. eg no more cutscenes before/after all of them and reusing activities as missions was a bit sloppy.

Other than that, it was smurfing amazing. I feel I may have hyped it up a bit too much in my head beforehand though. If I look beyond my own hype I'm happy.

The story was too short, and they got lazy to pad out the story by putting in normal side missions for plot, and it still isn't as long as SR2.

The actually story I really enjoyed though, and I have no issues with the handling of Johnny. (SPOILER)I actually like they had the balls to kill a character, and his death was actually used to motivate every ones actions, so it wasn't wasted.

I also love that different voices cause you to hit on different characters. The one female voice goes after the hacker chick, who is awesome, and the Russian chick has a raging boner for Pierce. XD

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

having not played SR2 I would say that Paul was possibly right about having hyped it up too much in his mind as the game to a newcomer to the series is hilariously funny and extremely entertaining to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    having not played SR2 I would say that Paul was possibly right about having hyped it up too much in his mind as the game to a newcomer to the series is hilariously funny and extremely entertaining to play.
    What did you find hilariously funny and extremely entertaining?

I'm with Psychotic. The game was amazing. But it was extremely stream-lined compared to the second. I kinda miss fighting over territories and earning the right to go on missions. In this game you can just blow through it without having to earn anything. Not necessarily a bad thing, as pointed it makes it more accessible to new-combers. But a little farther removed from the origins of the series. Didn't like Shaundi's redesign much either. But I played the game in small samplings so it lasted longer and felt more authentic. But I do believe it would have been an awesome 20-hour run straight through. They still had the humor and cocky epic action set-up properly. And the first two missions were an insanely awesome way to set up a game. But I think it could have used a few more months in development adding more meat. But "not enough of a good thing" doesn't mean it wasn't a good thing. I loved it. Just still prefer SR2 over-all

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    The actually story I really enjoyed though, and I have no issues with the handling of Johnny. (SPOILER)I actually like they had the balls to kill a character, and his death was actually used to motivate every ones actions, so it wasn't wasted.
    That's not what I take issue with. (SPOILER)If you really want to kill Gat as a story device, I won't be pleased but I can understand why. However, to have his death as a simple "Right on, see you in Stil-BANGBANGBANG" ...what the smurf? This guy has been the only character - other than the main man/woman/zombie - to appear in all three games, and has been built up as a legendary badman. To have him go out with such a whimper was awful writing. If Johnny Gat dies, have him surrounded by thousands of guys, dinosaurs, robots, Godzilla, Hulk Hogan and Lu Bu, and still only goes down when a nuclear bomb that fires lasers, flamethrowers and acid hits him in the face. And let us smurfing see it. I was so convinced throughout the entire game he was not dead and would casually pop up near the end because of how pathetic that death was.

Point taken, it should have been more extravagant then what it was.