Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Review

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    This game literally made my skin crawl.

Why? Because they had Mog TALK. Like, beyond "kupo" into actual sentences. WHAT THE smurf??

It gave me the creeps every time I heard it's strange little voice. It would be like hearing Pikachu talk all of a sudden. Totally and completely wrong and bizarre. NO BUENO.
    Without Mog talking, we would never have had that ending. Which would mean there would be zero amazing endings. Which would have made me sadder than sad. But there was one amazing ending and that is good, and that is because Mog can talk.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

She had to leave the room when I got that ending.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Mog talked in Final Fantasy VI, VII, and IX!
    Not text talk, actual talk talk. With a creepy ass voice. A voice that's going to wake you from your dreams saying, "IT'S TIME TO PLAY WITH ME KUPO. WHY WON'T YOU PLAY WITH ME???!!" *stab stab*
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Without Mog talking, we would never have had that ending. Which would mean there would be zero amazing endings. Which would have made me sadder than sad. But there was one amazing ending and that is good, and that is because Mog can talk.
    I have to wonder if your definition of amazing is completely opposite of mine.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't find the voice all that creepy. If anything, it sounded very natural. However, I would imagine the Moogles in VI and IX would sound different.

In IX, their voices are a little deeper. You can tell from the Kupo sound it makes when you save and Tent. At least the IX ones won't scare the hell outta you.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rydrum2112 View Post
    Sazh is a deus ex machina.
    How?
    Spoilers: (SPOILER) Do you remember the scene where he is suddenly in the correct time period flying the airship to deliver them to the fight against Caius? OR, ending spoiler- the one where he just happens to be flying under where they come out of the gate?

p.s. The "kupo" after every phrase/sentence was annoying.

(SPOILER)No, he wasn't a deus ex machina. Hope was there anyway and Sazh just happened to be the pilot. If it wasn't Sazh in any of those instances then it would've been some no-name generic pilot who would've been ordered to deliver them to the final fight and catch them when they came back. Hope ship was near Sazh's the whole time too, your logic would mean that Hope had needed to have a Sazh clone flying his ship. His appearance may have been cheesy fan service, but he hardly did anything that no one else could've done.

Articles

(SPOILER)No, he wasn't a deus ex machina. Hope was there anyway and Sazh just happened to be the pilot. If it wasn't Sazh in any of those instances then it would've been some no-name generic pilot who would've been ordered to deliver them to the final fight and catch them when they came back. Hope ship was near Sazh's the whole time too, your logic would mean that Hope had needed to have a Sazh clone flying his ship. His appearance may have been cheesy fan service, but he hardly did anything that no one else could've done.
    right- so he was deus ex machina, if it wasn't him it would've been some random npc that would've been. Either way the character is, Sazh just happened to show up right when a pilot was needed.

No he didn't show up just when a pilot was needed, they were there the whole time (when Serah and Noel came back after the final fight anyway). When Hope and his crew first arrived, you could consider that to be a deus ex machina, but why single out Sazh? It would be considered a deus ex machina before we even knew Sazh was there. However, even giving that Hope's arrival was a deus ex machina we were expected to meet up with him anyway, so it makes his timing irrelevant. And we were expected to have a final battle too, so it's not as if they couldn't have written that section differently without Hope and Sazh's help and still have us arrive at the final battle. You can only cite a deus ex machina as a negative point in a review if the story is written so that the likelihood of the particular event is ridiculous and is just some bulltrout that comes outta nowhere.

Articles

No he didn't show up just when a pilot was needed, they were there the whole time (when Serah and Noel came back after the final fight anyway). When Hope and his crew first arrived, you could consider that to be a deus ex machina, but why single out Sazh? It would be considered a deus ex machina before we even knew Sazh was there. However, even giving that Hope's arrival was a deus ex machina we were expected to meet up with him anyway, so it makes his timing irrelevant. And we were expected to have a final battle too, so it's not as if they couldn't have written that section differently without Hope and Sazh's help and still have us arrive at the final battle. You can only cite a deus ex machina as a negative point in a review if the story is written so that the likelihood of the particular event is ridiculous and is just some bulltit that comes outta nowhere.
    Sazh just appears right before the final fight, that is out of nowhere. Expectations have nothing to do with it. If you knew nothing about the game prior to playing it- Sazh just randomly appeared in the right spot, just to work him in the game hence deus ex machina. (Solved the problem of no sazh/needed to be saved by airships, by just having him suddenly there piloting one).

I really don't get how you aren't understanding this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm with Sword on this one. Sahz's appearance was a surprise that has not yet been explained, however in a gap of 100 years with Sahz already known to be traveling through time, there is nothing ridiculous about the idea of him turning up within those 100 years and flying as a military pilot. Especially since all stories should realistically be converging at that point (remember that each person using gates to travel through time seems to have a purpose behind their travels, the purpose seemingly being driven by Lightning). The upcoming DLC will probably reveal more, but my guess is that Lightning intended on him being there and therefore he was there.

I also agree with Sword that it doesn't matter anyway because if Sahz wasn't there some other pilot would have been and everyone would still have ended up in the same place (Sahz excepted, obviously) if Sahz was not there at all.

This is a fantasy game with characters. A Final Fantasy game, no less. Every single Final Fantasy game has key characters turning up at key times as a matter of coincidence. It's called good storytelling. Nobody wants the person who rescues the good guys to be an unnamed pilot of no consequence. Stop taking things too seriously! It's a story in a video game.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's called good storytelling.
    lol

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

I'm with Sword on this one. Sahz's appearance was a surprise that has not yet been explained, however in a gap of 100 years with Sahz already known to be traveling through time, there is nothing ridiculous about the idea of him turning up within those 100 years and flying as a military pilot. Especially since all stories should realistically be converging at that point (remember that each person using gates to travel through time seems to have a purpose behind their travels, the purpose seemingly being driven by Lightning). The upcoming DLC will probably reveal more, but my guess is that Lightning intended on him being there and therefore he was there.

I also agree with Sword that it doesn't matter anyway because if Sahz wasn't there some other pilot would have been and everyone would still have ended up in the same place (Sahz excepted, obviously) if Sahz was not there at all.

This is a fantasy game with characters. A Final Fantasy game, no less. Every single Final Fantasy game has key characters turning up at key times as a matter of coincidence. It's called good storytelling. Nobody wants the person who rescues the good guys to be an unnamed pilot of no consequence. Stop taking things too seriously! It's a story in a video game.
    Nothing you said disagrees with anything I said, he is a deus ex machina if you guys don't understand what that is you can take a literature class. I am done trying to explain it to you and my point still stands. If you were reviewing the game and someone said what is Sazh's role in FF13-2 you would say "He is an NPC that provides some important support in a few pivotal cut scenes at the near of the game."

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Nothing you said disagrees with anything I said, he is a deus ex machina if you guys don't understand what that is you can take a literature class.
    Or you could look it up at TV Tropes.

Nothing you said disagrees with anything I said, he is a deus ex machina if you guys don't understand what that is you can take a literature class. I am done trying to explain it to you and my point still stands. If you were reviewing the game and someone said what is Sazh's role in FF13-2 you would say "He is an NPC that provides some important support in a few pivotal cut scenes at the near of the game."
    A deus ex machina is something that is super convenient and had it not happened, the main characters would be doomed. That doesn't describe Sazh's role. Like I said if it wasn't him it would've been some random pilot, his role would've been filled regardless. And as I also said, Sazh was only part of Hope's cavalry, so why label Sazh a deus ex machina before labelling Hope? That's my main issue here.