Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your Review

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    A deus ex machina is something that is super convenient and had it not happened, the main characters would be doomed. That doesn't describe Sazh's role. Like I said if it wasn't him it would've been some random pilot, his role would've been filled regardless. And as I also said, Sazh was only part of Hope's cavalry, so why label Sazh a deus ex machina before labelling Hope? That's my main issue here.
    If you knew what deus ex was, you would know why Hope wouldn't qualify- that whole being involved throughout story thing. Deus ex is the appearance of a new character (event, object, etc) that provides a solution for an unsolvable problem.
    While the act of the appearance with the calvary might be one, that was not Hope's primary role in the story.

And your other argument makes no sense. If it wasn't Sazh it would've been another pilot who was a deus ex- so what? How does that make him not one? X was one, but if it happened to be Y it would still be one therefore X wasn't one...

I said I was done last post and I am after this one- but since you didn't know what a deus ex is I figure one more post on this isn't gonna kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by rydrum2112 View Post
    Hope wouldn't qualify
    That's what I said from the beginning, but my point was that he's a better candidate for being called out as one than Sazh. You just said it has to be an unsolvable problem. Where is the unsolvable problem that requires Sazh's presence?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It's called good storytelling.
    lol
    I'm not saying FFXIII-2 is full of good storytelling nor am I saying it's a good story at all, but I am saying that having characters conveniently turn at times that they were not expected is something that is done in pretty much all over the place. Many fantastic books, games, films and TV series use such convenient appearances of notable characters. Who would want a story to be completely predictable, anyway?

And I still agree with Sword. It is not out of nowhere. Hope said he would be there. It makes sense that they have such technology as airships considering they were there at 0AF, too, and before then. It also makes sense that they would have them flying around at a time that has been predicted as the end of days. It also makes sense that they would be on a constant lookout for the individuals that are known to be out there to save the world. Sahz being there is not solving an unsolvable problem, it is just for the sake of giving him a little more involvement in the storyline.

Sahz's route to getting there at all is to be told in DLC, as was always the intention of SE (going by the official guide which was released on the same day as the game).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!