Thread: Stat Maxing

Default Stat Maxing

So I'm finally actually getting into this game, and I was wondering to those that have played much more, how significant do you think stat maxing is?

As in, there are the large nodes on the crystarium. If you level as a Ravager on those nodes it gets +2 magic bonus (or as a Saboteur on Odd levels). Is it worth worrying about maxing this stat, magic for Serah and strength for Noel.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Fun fact: I did not notice this until I was about level 60 in everything.

Articles

Someone will be able to correct me if I am wrong-

If you use a commando on a big node you get +2 in strength.
    If you use a ravager on a big node you get +2 in magic.

If you use a sab. on a big node and your current level is even, and becomes odd after the node you get a +2 in magic.
    If you use a sab. on a big node and your current level is odd, and becomes even after the node you get a +2 in strength.

If you use a syn on a big node and your current level is even, and becomes odd after the node you get a +2 in magic.
    If you use a syn on a bid node and your current level is odd, and becomes even after the node you get a more HPs.

I believe that's correct. Sentinel and Medic also give HP bonuses.

Essentially, I TRY to do commando for all of Noel's big nodes. And then I TRY to do ravager for Serah. Though for Serah I can now do some Saboteur nodes as well. I feel that I will keep doing Commando for Noel, until I get his Saboteur node and can get those strength bonuses as well. There's some like 198 big nodes, so the stat bonus is pretty substantial.

THE JACKEL

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    So I'm finally actually getting into this game, and I was wondering to those that have played much more, how significant do you think stat maxing is?
    I paid zero attention to the large nodes and seem to be having a pretty easy time compared to some others who have been posting in these forums, so I wouldn't sweat over it. I've only come across two enemies that I have yet to beat, and that's mostly down to not having many of my monsters highly leveled. I will say that monster stat maxing is significant, though. If you load a commando with Mana materials, you're going to end up with a terrible commando.

Conclusion: Don't worry too much about Noel & Serah. Worry more about the monsters and what you're giving them.

EDIT: Oh, and for those wondering, Proto Behemoth and Long Gui are the two enemies I've yet to beat, although I might be able to by now as I've leveld notably since I last went out to test my strength against them.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Well that is good to know. Especially since monsters have this little advantage that if you mess them up, just have another monster eat them and capture another one!

THE JACKEL

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    Well that is good to know. Especially since monsters have this little advantage that if you mess them up, just have another monster eat them and capture another one!

THE JACKEL
    I am about to start chapter 5, I power leveled abit so Noel & Serah are stronger than they should be but I really haven't done much in terms of monsters. I would like to start working on a commando. I have Twilight Odin but it is so costly to upgrade- any suggestions?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I haven't really gone out of my way monster-wise, but this is what I've found so far:

The metal cactuar is a good Commando. It gobbles your best materials, but it's worth considering that the cactuars tend to have unique abilities that are useful. Definitely pick up a Flanitor for healing. It starts out weak but once you get it maxed to level 40 it has a magic stat of over 700, and it's special ability fully heals your party. My current ravager is Apotamkin. Nice stats, an equal 700-ish for both magic and strength, HP isn't too bad. Has the item collector ability, and I made it gobble a goblin thing for gil finder. Picked up a Gigantuar and it looks like it might be the best Synergist of everything I've seen so far. Early Peakers are good to max out as soon as you find them. They usually have high stats for where you are story-wise.

Does anyone know if Cait Sith is worth boosting to the end? Or any of those late bloomers for that matter? I've been keeping them and boosting them every now and then, but they're on the back burner so none of them are really past their 30s yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Does anyone know if Cait Sith is worth boosting to the end? Or any of those late bloomers for that matter? I've been keeping them and boosting them every now and then, but they're on the back burner so none of them are really past their 30s yet.
    I read somewhere that Cait Sith has the potential to be the 3rd best Medic monster in the game, behind a Green Chocobo and another monster whose name I forget. So it may be worth it if you're willing to put the time and effort into getting all the materials for it. Personally, my Flanitor was all I needed in the way of healing after I got him.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak View Post
    I read somewhere that Cait Sith has the potential to be the 3rd best Medic monster in the game, behind a Green Chocobo and another monster whose name I forget. So it may be worth it if you're willing to put the time and effort into getting all the materials for it. Personally, my Flanitor was all I needed in the way of healing after I got him.
    I refused to fight along side a trash-can so I have been using green chocobo. I will have to go hunt for a metal cactuar now.

Can someone tell me the reason behind a lot of the dumb things in this game, as in the useless things (really in any rpg)? Why would anyone ever want to use Lightening's Cross accessory or Martyr's badge?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I haven't come across any green chocobos yet! I'll have to keep an eye out.

Articles

I haven't come across any green chocobos yet! I'll have to keep an eye out.
    I want to say its in Massif.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, it's in Massif AF 100 and 110.

I read Chichu is the best Commando, so I've been using him. Problem is he's weak for me since I ran out of Power Essence a long time ago. I also have found Silver Chocobo to be the best SEN. I want to level Flanitor but I'm out of mats.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum