Page 104 of 106 FirstFirst ... 45484949899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1576

Thread: Dark Souls

The Grand Archives are hardly a side area...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I meant it more as in "optional area". There's really only two zones left in the main campaign and barring the DLC, I still have four areas left to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Well I meant it more as in "optional area". There's really only two zones left in the main campaign and barring the DLC, I still have four areas left to explore.
    It's definitely not optional.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It's definitely not optional.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update Time:

Anor Londo ho! Would it be sacrilegious to say I feel the Anor Londo Archers are way more annoying in this entry? Anyway, explored the place. Did some kind of ceremony in Gwyndolin's old boss chamber/Gwyn's burial chamber that explains a bit more about what happened to Anri. Even though Yuria comes across a bit evil, I tend to always favor the Age of Dark endings, so I'm not exactly bothered I might be helping people some players might call evil.

Friends gave me a tip about Yorshka, and I was able to find her after a bit of trial and error. Sad to find out about the fate of the Giant Blacksmith but thought it was touching that Andre and him were friends. Found Aldrich and got reamed. I started playing around with the Farron Great-sword and discovered that's it's special combo is super effective against the Silver Knights and later learned that Aldrich takes more damage from it due to being a creature of the Abyss. It took quite a few tries to beat him, my main issue was trying to keep tabs on all his magic attacks and learning painfully that the Lifehunt Scythe move is practically a OHKO for my character. I kept trying to take him down quickly like he was a Bloodborne boss but eventually learned that patience was the key. That arrow attack is still kind of BS in terms of damage and its homing ability.

Got transported back to that church in Lothric Castle where the Way of Blue handmaiden was, realized I could move and didn't have to talk to her and took the opportunity to use a homeward bone to go level up and trade in Aldrich's soul. Bought a few items and realized I never actually lit the bonfire from the Rotten Greatwood Tree fight so I headed back there and found a summon sign from Sirris. Got summoned to fight her pain in the ass grandfather and probably died more times to him than Aldrich. I did head back to Aldrich's chamber to explore Gwynevere's room to get the Princess Ring. Overall, it was a nice bit of nostalgia to revisit what was probably one of my favorite areas in Dark Souls 1.

Went back to the hand maiden and as I figured, activated a boss fight with the Dancer and was quickly overwhelmed cause she has way better range than I thought she did. Called it a night after that. I think once I beat her and I assume open up the path to the rest of Lothric Castle, I'm heading back to the Cathedral of the Deep to start the Ashes of Ariandel DLC. I plan on doing the Ringed City DLC after I beat the Lothric boys.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've had dark souls 2 and 3 for quite a while but never got around to playing more than maybe an hour of ds2.

So I started playing it the other night, and I'm maybe 4-5 hours in. And maybe it's because I actually do enjoy summoning people to co-op with but the game has felt really easy so far. I've died maybe 5 times and one shot every boss until now. Just got to sinners rise though I guess there's some other stuff that one is generally supposed to do first. I don't think I'm a particularly amazing souls player, and I'm sure odds are I'm going to run into some stuff that just wrecks me as I keep going but it's been a weird feeling so far. I feel like I'm flying through the damn game. Even summoning people for bosses in the first one I struggled more than I have so far.

Depending on your class, there are builds that will have a much easier time and then get wrecked in other areas where the build is not optimal. Also depends if you're playing vanilla or scholar of the first sin version. I've heard scholar is more brutal and meant for people who already played vanilla

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually am playing the scholar version. I'll just bet on me getting beat to trout later on in the game and enjoy my ability to feel good about myself for not getting my ass kicked yet.

Mildly depends on which path you take through the game. DS2 has some of the easiest Souls content in it, but also some of the hardest (although that's mostly reserved for the DLC).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DSII just has a large quantity of gank fights but if you know what you're doing, it's not so bad. I think only two bosses gave me trouble in the early game, the three Sentinels and the trout demon monster in Black Gulch. It's the bosses towards the end that were often more problematic for me and even then a lot of them were optional. My other issue was the silly Soul Level nonsense mechanic that made it nearly impossible to be summoned for me but made it easier for me to get invaded by players who were a few areas ahead of me. The few areas I had the most grief in were often due to invaders blocking my ability to progress and costing me souls. I think my biggest issue in DSII was that parry timing seemed to be changed a bit, especially the counter riposte which for some reason I could never get done right.

For me, I think Demon's Souls is still the hardest entry, the controls are more clunky, infusions are both more important and situational, and the level design is far more sadistic than the Dark Souls series. In terms of boss battles, I feel DS1 and Bloodborne have the most challenging so far. DSII has too many filler bosses and DS3's bosses have been surprisingly easier than what I'm used to in the series but that might change now that I'm towards the end and all I have left are three story bosses and like close to a dozen optional bosses who tend to be more challenging.

Update Time:
    I think the Dancer of the Boreal Valley might be the hardest boss in the game so far. Despite having really good tells, she's pretty aggressive and has longer combos animations and range than I would care for. My biggest issue was that without an ember activated, her grab move in her first phase was a OHKO for me since I rarely put points into HP so a bad roll was all it took to end the fight sometimes. Her and Aldritch have taken the most tries in order to beat, but nothing too infuriating yet.

Reached Lothric Castle proper and explored the King's Garden or something. Met the Consumed King, and he was honestly not too bad outside of some high damage from the charge move and whip attack. The hardest part of the fight was chasing after him cause most of his attacks in his second phase kept launching him across the screen and trying to stay in front of him is too dangerous. A friend mentioned to hit the wall in the back of the area you pick up the Way of the Dragon emote and I found myself in the Untended Graves. I honestly had a tough time killing the Soul Arrow spamming invader than Champion Gundyr and I got to explore one of the eeriest locations in the whole game so far.

Looked up how to find the Archdragon Peak and went there, but called it a night at the first bonfire. I think I'll try to take down the Nameless King because I feel he'll be a nice litmus test for dealing with the DLC. I've seen videos of the Sister Friede fight and I can already say I am both dreading and anticipating it.

Hope you are having a great time with Ds3 ! I just soloed Nameless King on my ng+4 and it was an awesome fight! You'll probably enjoy it as well! As for sister Freide, oh my God she is my favorite boss fight in the game! I don't want to spoil anything for you but just keep on pushing through and have fun!! You got this!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nameless King has been interesting. I pretty much have the King of Storms fight down and can get to second phase with little issue unless he starts flipping around too much to get the camera screw on me, but for the most part. It's down to a science. The actual fight with him is still a it grueling as a memorize his pattern. I think the move I'm still having issues with is his fast lunge attack on the ground. I can't seem to get the timing right to roll out of the way so I take unnecessary hits. I do appreciate the fact your Bloodstain is located outside of the boss arena.

I did explore more of Lothric Castle and found the boss room. I think it's really interesting that one of the two dragons guarding the main gate is actually killed by a Pus of Man. I haven't really discussed this much but the lore and story elements of this game are pretty top notch. Some of the best in the actual Dark Souls series. Unlike DSII, I have a more clear idea of what I'm trying to do and how most of the locations and bosses fit into the narrative. Been interesting. I might fight this boss in Lothric Castle first and then come back to the Nameless King.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Got thrashed a few more times by Nameless King and opted to fight the boss of Lothric Castle, who turned out to be some knight dude. He would have been more intimidating if for some reason my ability to roll so close to him didn't somehow offset his follow up attack and caused it to completely miss me and still somehow move me right where I needed to be to get a few extra hits. Unlocked the Grand Archives which was not what I thought it would be but this will be interesting.

Went back to Nameless King fight and after dying countless times to him all evening, I hit that Dark Souls Zen moment and finally conquered him. He felt like a redo of Artorias actually except with a mix of the Sephiroth fight from KH1. Artorias because of his lore and his fighting style being brutal and relentless enough that you have to basically keep your distance and take your hits when you can as opposed to being all out aggressive like most of the bosses in this game so far.

He's like Sephy because I honestly felt his A.I. is designed to utilize the game's less than stellar lock-on/camera to his own advantage. The biggest difference from a flawless battle with the first phase versus me taking a few unnecessary hits pretty much came down to whether I could stay in front of his dragon which loved to try to walk over me and make the camera go screwy so NK could take pot shots at me. The biggest contributor to my success in his second phase, outside of finally getting his timing down to dodge, largely came down to how fast I could lock back onto him when he used one of his charging attacks to dive off screen and break my lock on. That and making sure he didn't corner me into one of his arean's invisible walls which screwed with the camera as well.

I did kind of wish I didn't have to fight the dragon every time he beat me into the ground, not because I feel it's unfair but because it actually got boring after awhile and I just wanted to get back to that second round. It was still a pretty cool fight but I'm not sure if I liked it as much as Artorias, Fume Knight, and Lady Maria.

I think I'm going to explore the Grand Archive a bit before I dive into the DLC. I figure I'll try to reach the boss gate which should be the Lothric Boys and then I'll go visit the Painted World. After I beat them, I'll visit the Ringed City, though I'm not quite sure where the entrance to that DLC is.

That's awesome! You did good for sure and I aggree I about the dragon. Sucks we have to keep fighting him every time but he is honestly easy if you didn't know already. You can actually stay by his head and hit him a few times to stagger and reposte him for a quicker death, it's just NK himself takes all the stamina and flask as he punishes you for trying to recharge. But the fight is truly a great one for me , or one of the great fights in the game. Keep posting as I really like to read how's darks souls 3 and updates ! Have fun and stay safe Ashen one!

I am actually working on my sl125 character for ds3 as there will be a dark souls 3 hunger game event and I'm pretty excited about it , if you guys are interested, let me know

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Explored the Grand Archive, was able to finally acquire the awesome Farram Armor set from DSII, reached what I'm assuming is the final gate across a fortified bridge to the Lothric Boys and then plunged into the DLC.

The Painted World was eerie in DS1 but now it's pretty damn grotesque in this title. Largely imitating the dying world we've seen so much in DSIII, it's interesting seeing a world rotting. I also find it interesting that the new painted world expanded the original ones concept of being a refuge for the unwanted. Two lost order of knights, an entire species of beings, and two outcast members of the Sable Church. It's an interesting concept.

I can say that I don't like tussling with the Millwood Knights, these guy feel like viking versions of the Gwyn's Black Knights, hard to stagger, loads of health, and they can wipe you out in about two hits unless you've been pouring all of your stats into Health and Vitality. The Monster Wolves haven't been friendly either.

Course the enemies I don't engage directly have been the Corvian Knights who play my own style (speed and combo friendly) better than I can since they have about a foot or two on me in range. It's why I keep a bow. The battle against Vinhelm was pretty intense too since he loves to attack and then roll away. Took awhile to finally get him killed but I didn't die either. It was interesting to meet the new Painter as well, and looking up a bit on her, she appears to be part dragon like Priscilla was. Wonder if they are related.

Beyond exploring the Tower where the Millwood knight archers attack and fighting past the town to the Painter, I still haven't encountered the bosses of the world. I know there are two and Sister Friede is one of them, but I haven't the foggiest idea where the other one is or even what it could be. Anyway bummed around the world exploring the mountain behind the Painters prison until I realized it was late and called it a night.