Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516203060 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I ran with that mask for so long. Until my girlfriend told me to take it off my character (who I designed specifically to look like her).

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    I ran with that mask for so long. Until my girlfriend told me to take it off my character (who I designed specifically to look like her).
    Hah! All 3 Pinwheel masks look super freaky. I don't find the Mother's mask feminine at all.

I've been trying hard to get better at PvP but I'm starting to think it's a hopeless cause. I can get kills on my level 80 high INT mage, but that's only because a crystal soul arrow can OHKO low and mid-vitality characters. It's still useless especially against tanks and those only decently skilled at dodging.

Been practicing melee with my level 75 high strength build at the Kiln, but out of 10-15 fights I only won twice or so. And that's only because one guy was role playing King Jeremiah. And the other was a tit weighing a ton who used iron flesh - completely immobilizing himself. And I may have backstabbed a guy while he was making a bow. So yeah not very glorious victories at all.

Any advice?

EDITSeriously, how can everyone be this good at PvP? It's like those 150 hours I put into this game count for nothing in the Kiln!
    Last edited by Pete for President; 07-13-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Contributions

The Kiln is generally where people go to smurf trout up. I find that players who PvP in the Kiln mean business. I think the average PvP level around there is 120.

Still, it depends on your build and gear, really. It helps to have something that still deals chip damage on block (something with Lightning attached, or Magic). But in the end (cliche time), go with what you're comfortable with. Concentrate on a really awesome build and you should generally be able to hold your own. Unless you're fighting a Havel-wearing, backflipping, Lightning-Uchi lagstabber, that is.

The Kiln is generally where people go to smurf tit up. I find that players who PvP in the Kiln mean business. I think the average PvP level around there is 120.

Still, it depends on your build and gear, really. It helps to have something that still deals chip damage on block (something with Lightning attached, or Magic). But in the end (cliche time), go with what you're comfortable with. Concentrate on a really awesome build and you should generally be able to hold your own. Unless you're fighting a Havel-wearing, backflipping, Lightning-Uchi lagstabber, that is.
    Yeah the Kiln is obviously the hotspot for dueling. I figured there would be more PvP noobs like me practicing, but it's really really diehard out there, and I just can't seem to be competing seriously. I'm just not one of the big boys out there : (

Funny thing, on the other hand I can usually hold my own against other invaders in the Kiln. It's my own invasions where I get swatted like a fly.

Anyway, I made some progress. Strolling on these forums I tweaked my Strength build a bit:
    Best poise:weight ratio armor. - Dark Souls Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs
    Poise breakpoints revisited, and other sciences. - Dark Souls Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs

Who knew the Hollow Soldier Waist Cloth is an excellent choice for low-weight poise gear? I threw them all away, what a waste (see what I did there? Hah!). Switched out the Gargoyle Helmet/Black Leather Armor for Mask of the Child/Knight's Armor. Combined with the Wolf Ring I get 60 poise, enough to not get stunned by a one-handed Zweihander or a two-handed Claymore hit. This has already gotten me some backstab kills. If you know you can take the hit, you can just tank through and manoeuvre for the stab.

Also traded in the Black Knight Halberd for a Black Knight Sword. The damage output is just a little less, but it stuns more easily, has a wider slash range and only weighs 8 instead of 14. If I can get my armor weight down some more I might give the Black Knight Great Sword a try.

After tweaking it was time to do some guilty-hunting in the Catacombs. Things went well. Really well. I think I ended with a 13-6 score. I encountered the same Zweihander-wielding knight 7 times and came out victorious with a 4-3 score. Tense! And fun. 150 hours+ and still learning about this game. It's phenomenal.

Blog Entries

I recently acquired this game. Somehow the stairs to the Undead Burg were not noticed in my exploration, leaving me trying to make progress with the skeletons toward the Catacombs and with the ghosts in New Londo Ruins. I made it a bonfire deep each respective way, but I was dying way too much and was not getting rewarded at all for my troubles. I reached level 20 before I stumbled across the way to the Undead Burg; life became immediately easier. Met the first boss, almost killed the bastard, but was not really prepared mentally and used up all my Estus previously. New plan with that guy: (SPOILER)Messing up the crossbowman and his buddy first, then jump attacking the Taurus Demon to see how he likes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    I recently acquired this game. Somehow the stairs to the Undead Burg were not noticed in my exploration, leaving me trying to make progress with the skeletons toward the Catacombs and with the ghosts in New Londo Ruins. I made it a bonfire deep each respective way, but I was dying way too much and was not getting rewarded at all for my troubles. I reached level 20 before I stumbled across the way to the Undead Burg; life became immediately easier. Met the first boss, almost killed the bastard, but was not really prepared mentally and used up all my Estus previously. New plan with that guy: (SPOILER)Messing up the crossbowman and his buddy first, then jump attacking the Taurus Demon to see how he likes that.
    Congrats on acquiring one of the most astonishing games of this generation. Good luck and holla if you need help with anything!

Contributions

Which bonfire are you referring to in the New Londo Ruins? I'm positive there's no bonfire in that area.

And yeah, I tried to force my way through the Catacombs graveyard at first too. It wasn't to be.

Keep us updated.

Blog Entries

Which bonfire are you referring to in the New Londo Ruins? I'm positive there's no bonfire in that area.

And yeah, I tried to force my way through the Catacombs graveyard at first too. It wasn't to be.

Keep us updated.
    This is my face making the saddest face impossible because I assumed I went far enough to find a bonfire in New Londo Ruins, but somehow missed it. Now I know to never get my hopes up. I did actually get to the bonfire in The Catacombs and killed a lantern-wielding git, but then went on to find skeletons swarming the area ahead while more bastards flung fire at me. I am glad someone else was as fool-hardy as me.

I dealt with my previous nemesis with little issue. I applied a little Resin and dropped twice, felling the guy in two blows. Previous to that, I survived two invasions. One guy I managed to trick into tumbling off a cliff, and the other burned to death because of a certain bridge and dragon*. Solaire, it should be noted, is already my favorite character ever. I almost want to bury my axe in his back to see about wearing his gear. Met a boar, got a new helmet, met a knight, found out how hard a tower top is to assail. Currently grinding for drops to improve my gear instead of my level.

Edit: *Second invader was after my buddy the Taurus Demon. Poor writing.
    Last edited by Madonna; 07-16-2012 at 10:04 PM.

met a knight, found out how hard a tower top is to assail.
    Hah, sounds familiair! Keep us posted : )

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I first got to the Firelink Shrine, I headed straight for the Undead Burg. To me, it looked like the only way I could go. After completing it, I wanted to find out about this Graveyard I'd heard so much about, but it took me bloody ages to find! Eventually, I just used the lifts to drop down into it.

Been practicing hard, but I still can't wrap my head around PvP.

Spoiler46 Souvenirs of Reprisal in my current inventory. Am I getting better? I seriously don't know. I got most of these in the Depths and the Catacombs. Sometimes the fight lasts only seconds - both in my advantage as disadvantage. Sometimes I get my ass handed to me by a naked dual rapier-wielding character. And very rarely I manage to beat the full Havel Zweihander wielding tank. But aside from some very embarrassing defeats I have been getting positive ratio's in some area's.

And then I decide to test my skills in the Darkroot Forest or the Kiln. I'm nothing out there. Backstabs in my advantage only seem to happen accidentally or when we're fighting 2 on 1. I have never parried successfully. Sometimes I get a kill, but it rarely goes smoothly. And then I seriously wonder what kind of people play Dark Souls to the extend where they can beat a fully equipped Giant set wearing knight while having no poise and a rapier only? Or even three of them at once? I look at video's on youtube and see people winning at incredible odds, landing parry's and backstabs like it's nothing. If anyone knows their secret, please do tell. And get your mind blown by watching this video (though I must warn for crazy Japanese music): Dark Souls Forest Clean-Up 2/

Anyway, anyone up for an EoFF duel? I'm on PS3, level range about 80.

Blog Entries

That video is ridiculous, Pete. The player in it has really good timing and a very level head.

My current progress follows the cut. (SPOILER)The dragon in the Undead Burg still lives. Got the Drake Sword, it still is statistically better than my Battle Axe +5, but the battle is still a case of the dragon flying up, shooting flames right beneath it where I am attacking, and then leaping to the other side of the bride to do a burning rush attack. I have not the fire resistance or hit points for that kind of crap.

I killed the Capra Demon super easily. I was super-stoked to explore the lower burg before heading up the church, and explored my way straight into his area. Melee-ed the dogs, ran up the top, shot the demon near to death. Before it figured out to climb the steps, I landed on it from above the arch with a drop attack. Key to the Depths GET. Now, uh, where were the Depths?

Having no idea where the Depths were, I figured I could at least explore the church. Found a blacksmith, an onion knight, and the Balder knights, who were not really a challenge. Lured the huge knight out, double-handed him my axe a few times. Sniped the Channeler from downstairs. Got the Firekeeper Soul, upgraded my Flask. Ran through the Undead Burg for easy kills, came to the round tower and pinged Havel to death with arrows. Saw a Hydra in the new area, left immediately. Came back to the church, went upstairs, firebombed the room of Undead. Summoned Solaire, awoke a gargoyle, got another axe, and got ambushed by the second gargoyle. Solaire was a great distraction and both monsters were murdered quickly. Rang the bell, met the absolver, and somewhere in the middle of this paragraph I fought a longgggg battle with an invader. We started in front of the church, down to the bridge, under it, and I overshot a leaping attack to stumble over the edge. That freaking close to not falling; you can see my fingers have no space whatsoever betwixt them.

Found the stairway down to the Depths, opened up the aqueduct shortcut, and explored a basement full of Undead, dogs, and some butchers. Got a sack and a death out of it, but I was able to recover my bloodstain. Went down further, found out I hate slimes, and that rats really, really, really really really suck. Thought I figured out the worst enemy until I met the lizards. Fell down a hole to be surrounded by them, but was able to dodge their clouds and murder them. Maybe not a threat, but that is because I have gotten out of all encounters with not being hit. They probably suck. Found Zena, bought her(?) torso armor and found a big rat to slaughter. It took two resin applications and all my Estus because I had no luck with sniping. Got tired of the sewers, so I left to explore out by Andre and see what the deal was with the stone man lizard amputee. Avoided the lightning, rolled around him a lot, and double-handed him with my axe to death. Fairly safe, only swiped a few times. Got a super awesome Titanite Catch Pole which has become my weapon of choice. Went back to the Depths to try it out.

Nothing stood a chance between my new pole and a Shortbow +5. Undead, dogs, rats, lizards, whatevs. Entered the boss fight with Solaire at my side and found out I was not doing too much damage with my pole. Switched to the axe to see if it made a difference, but since it was not my alternate equip, I kind of suffered a near-death beating. Switched back after it became clear the axe was worse than the pole, but saw that Solaire was taking a little too much aggro. I got too hurried in trying to make sure he lived and ended up the Gaping Dragon's bitch. Last I saw Solaire, he was summoning a sunlight spear. I hope he is not dead when I make it back.

The graveyard and Catacombs were the first things I found. I mean, there were doors and arches, so I went to the doors and arches. When I used the bonfire for the first time, I noticed the stairs down, so I took the stairs. Found New Londo Ruins and Valley of Drakes pretty quick, but did not see the appeal in trying too much of my luck with ghosts, undead dragons, or large ogre things. It was only when I was resting at a bonfire and Kalilung asked where a flight of stairs went that I even noticed the path to the Undead Burg. Personally, I blame the tree.

You beat Capra Demon before the Gargoyles? That's interesting. IIRC you need a key from the Undead Parish (Gargoyles territory) to even get to the Capra Demon. Nice exploring though, there is no right or wrong in this game! Beating Havel early can make some things easier for you too. Hope you don't use a guide, makes things super tense and sometimes the GameFaqs guides tell you to do just plain stupid things. I don't recommend any of them, go your own way!

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just got the last achievement of this game the other day. Level 148 or so. Beat it twice. Only have one thing to say - smurf those Dragon Asses in Lost Izalith.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Just got the last achievement of this game the other day. Level 148 or so. Beat it twice. Only have one thing to say - smurf those Dragon Asses in Lost Izalith.
    Congrats! I'm well on my way to Platinum it too. END GAME QUESTIONS FOR GOLDENBOKOWhat were you fighting the Dragons for, do they aggro in new game+? If so, the Chaos Servant shortcut must be a true blessing. Which achievement was your last, Knight's Honor by any chance?